• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JOESTEELER

Jul 23, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    BG&G Did a home inspection at a friends house for energy saving.He told her she had asbestos floor tile in the basement. The basement area is approximately 10x30.
    1. She needs a reparable company to come in to do the abatement
    2. Are there any programs to defer some of the cost.
    3. Are there any other options.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    As long as the floor is solid and the tiles aren't crumbling there is no problem. Throw a rug over it and call it a day.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As long as the floor is solid and the tiles aren't crumbling there is no problem. Throw a rug over it and call it a day.

^^^What he said or...

Encasement is a recommended solution. If the tile is tight to the concrete, have a company(or do it themselves) come in and install one of those new floating vinyl floors over it. BTW, this can be done even if the floor is a little loose. Just have to fill any missing tiles with floor patch or other tiles. Doesn't need to glue them in.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Another option is to put a solid layer over it (such as linoleum sheeting or other impermeable layer)...this will keep the asbestos floor tile from being damaged (really only a problem when in bad shape, crumbling,etc.)

If they go this route, make sure they understand they need to cover it completely to seal it off...

Also...how did he know it was asbestos floor tile? If he did not sample it he is just guessing, it must b3 sampled to prove it is asbestos or not....if they want it tested I can help them out at cost...

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    ^^^What he said or...

Encasement is a recommended solution. If the tile is tight to the concrete, have a company(or do it themselves) come in and install one of those new floating vinyl floors over it. BTW, this can be done even if the floor is a little loose. Just have to fill any missing tiles with floor patch or other tiles. Doesn't need to glue them in.

He beat me to it... I musy have been writing slower than him...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    BG&G Did a home inspection at a friends house for energy saving.He told her she had asbestos floor tile in the basement. The basement area is approximately 10x30.
    1. She needs a reparable company to come in to do the abatement
    2. Are there any programs to defer some of the cost.
    3. Are there any other options.
    I deal with this all day every day in the insurance claims process. Have your friend fill out my contact form at www.dottrio.com and I will refer them to a small local business that does this type of work for the best price you can imagine.

FYI - asbestos floor tile is generally not friable and is therefore less dangerous than most other asbestos containing material. The Maryland Department of Environment allows for homeowners to remove this asbestos by themselves with no permits. That does not mean I suggest this route but I point it out to demonstrate that the government doesn't consider it very dangerous.

As others have pointed out encapsulation (a new floor on top) is a great option for this situation.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    What rseymorejr said. Did BGE tell your friend that the tiles needed to be removed, or did they just let her know that they were asbestos. Just having asbestos tiles is not necessarily a hazard. It only becomes dangerous when "friable" (term used by EPA and the industry) meaning it is crumbling, flaking, or otherwise deteriorating enough to be turning into dust or breathable particles. Removing the tiles would create that condition and require handling them like hazardous materials, so you want to keep that in mind for any future basement improvement projects.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Tile size is often a good indicator. I forget what size it was, but there was one size that had around a 90% chance it would contain asbestos. But without testing to confirm you can't know for sure. They probably just erred on the side of safety.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Tile size is often a good indicator. I forget what size it was, but there was one size that had around a 90% chance it would contain asbestos. But without testing to confirm you can't know for sure. They probably just erred on the side of safety.

9"x9" tiles were the most common asbestos tiles. ...they are usually assumed to be asbestos based on size.

only way to be sure is to test them. I have tested many 9"x9"s that were negative....

also, if the glue sticking them to the floor is black, good chance that may be asbestos too...

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I hope there was a laboratory analysis done before the proclamation that there is asbestos in the tile... No way to be certain without proper testing....

I tested our basement floor tile, and it came back positive; no big surprise, no real problem. We covered it with padded carpet and called it a day. No issues at all for 10+ years. Only possible down side is we now have to declare the presence of asbestos when asked, when we sell the home. Misinformed potential buyers may try to haggle the price down, or may walk away. In either case, I don't care. Not going to pull it up, no basis in fact for doing so.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    9"x9" are highly suspect, but testing is the only way to know for sure.

If it is intact...+1 for putting a new floor over it.

Removing it can create as many problems as it solves.

Truth in advertising..... I was government contracting officer's rep on an asbestos removal contract for about three years, including removing over 3 million square feet of 9"x9" asbestos floor tiles.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    9"x9" are highly suspect, but testing is the only way to know for sure.

If it is intact...+1 for putting a new floor over it.

Removing it can create as many problems as it solves.

Truth in advertising..... I was government contracting officer's rep on an asbestos removal contract for about three years, including removing over 3 million square feet of 9"x9" asbestos floor tiles.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I completely understand, I have been in the environmental business for 24 years......my area is asbestos/lead-based paint/hazardous materials inspections/surveys... been all over the world for it, and it never ceases to amaze me how it pops up all the time and people freak out over it... with a few simple precautions things can be taken care of... but unfortunately, whenever MOST people hear asbestos and/or lead-based paint they completely freak out...

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Lastly OP if your friend wants to send me a sample tile I can get it and the mastic (adhesive) tested at my cost $15 per sample (total $30) through my laboratory account. No charges from me. Test results and copy of the labs invoice will be provided.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    9"x9" tiles were the most common asbestos tiles. ...they are usually assumed to be asbestos based on size.

only way to be sure is to test them. I have tested many 9"x9"s that were negative....

also, if the glue sticking them to the floor is black, good chance that may be asbestos too...

Having said that, pretty much all 9x9 tile, if not asphalt tile, will more than likely be VAT. Vinyl Asbestos Tile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom