Great Opportunity to learn a good Trade!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    For anyone looking to gain a great trade and make a good living, here is an opportunity with Metro, WMATA to get paid to learn a trade. For some time they have been actively recruiting people with basic mechanical aptitude combined with some technical abilities to participate in a paid 4 year apprentice program. They pay you $25 an hour and train you to become licensed as an elevator/escalator mechanic. This is a good field to get into to which pays very well (70-100K).

Here is the link for the latest round of hiring:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/jobs/...entID=&xfeed=1&wpmk=MK0000005&GCID=C17812x034

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Definitly need more kids in any mechanical trades..

Although I don't know about this..

Responds to and provides assistance during operational emergencies including but not limited to securing and safeguarding WMATA equipment as well as snow removal. Maintains cleanliness of the work area.
    EDIT:

Looks like it might be somewhat difficult for HS Graduates to enter this program... ??

Applicants must meet one of the following minimum requirements for entry into the Apprenticeship Program:
    ( 1) Enrollment and completion (or substantial completion) of a post-secondary technical training program appropriate for the elevator/escalator trade.

(2) Two years of high school vocational training appropriate for the elevator/ escalator trade. (Does this even exist?)

(3) Employment history demonstrating prolonged interest and progression in a comparable classification.

(4) Any combination of employment history and/or training that demonstrates the individuals' commitment/interest to progress in the trade.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Definitly need more kids in any mechanical trades..

Although I don't know about this..

EDIT:

Looks like it might be somewhat difficult for HS Graduates to enter this program... ??

I agree with this but the requirements are just guidelines, WMATA has it's own test you will be given. So if you are are competent in basic Algebra, and have some mechanical abilities I would urge you to outline this in your application and then if interviewed the test is what counts. Look closely at item #4.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    I agree with this but the requirements are just guidelines, WMATA has it's own test you will be given. So if you are are competent in basic Algebra, and have some mechanical abilities I would urge you to outline this in your application and then if interviewed the test is what counts. Look closely at item #4.

I guess some HS graduates may meet #4 requirements, but to be honest I've not met one yet.

..employment history and/or training..

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I guess some HS graduates may meet #4 requirements, but to be honest I've not met one yet.

As far as HS Graduates, yes it would be tough. There are still some systems in Maryland that offer Vocational Training such as electrical, robotics,welding and automotive repair, but not many. I have some nephews who are a few years out of high school and who have worked as helpers in HVAC/Electrical but for companies that can't afford to train them properly, someone like this also comes to mind. Again they are going to train you completely, they really just need to know you have the basic aptitude to be trained...so they test ALL applicants regardless of experience. I know many College grads who would fail the test, yet it is based on 9th grade level math.

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    Unfortunately it looks like the position closed yesterday. A friends son was interested in finding a trade as he feels the office environment is not what he wants. If there is any other openings for this you are aware of let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom