• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Shootout at Leadville

Great match. Well done Red Eye and crew. One of the best I've been to and I've been to all of them.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I shot with the Peppermill Creek Gang today. Averaged 77 seconds per stage. I had issues with my IAC 87 and the pink Federal shells so I had to borrow another shooter's shotgun. After 5 stages of BP my Uberti Bisley started feeling "crunchy" so I called it a day. I managed to leave my wagon, cleaning brush, and mason jar full of water for my brass at home, so it really screwed with my day. But it was still fun. I forgot how much of a pain cleaning up after BP shooting is, but rifle and pistols are clean now. Still soaking the brass, I'll scrub and tumble them tomorrow.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    Wild Bunch

Jefferson Wild Bunch match on May 30. Might be a little warm but I'm still looking forward to being there.

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    Darn I wanted to come out to observe but didn't know if you guys would be there. Oh well I will try and make it to the next one.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Roy Rogers' Happy Trails Foundation is raffling a pair of Rugers and a fancy rig.

Tickets are $10 at http://www.happytrailsstore.org/product19.html.

rr.jpg

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    Thanks for the heads up. I am definitely going to try and make it up there. I don't have the guns or gear but have been wanting to check it out for a while now.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I really want to start doing this. Need the firearms, probably have the kit and holster.

Question? Do I need 2 revolvers or just 1? Anyone have caliber recommendations? .38 is most popular I guess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I really want to start doing this. Need the firearms, probably have the kit and holster.

Question? Do I need 2 revolvers or just 1? Anyone have caliber recommendations? .38 is most popular I guess?

You need two revolvers, you can get by with one if you can find someone who will loan you one for the match. .38 is the most popular, since it's easily available. Lead bullets only, no jackets, rifle and pistol. If you aren't a reloader, start.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

YES to what JBB said.

Eventually you'll need two pistols. But don't let that stop you! Especially if you bring ammo, you will get multiple offers to loan you a pistol at most matches. Same for the long guns. This is a good way to try out various guns.

.38 is most popular, but I never heard of any cowboys shootin' it. I'm a .45LC guy. (Probably should have gone .44-40.)

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I went to my first match as an observer last weekend and it certainly seemed like 38 was the most popular caliber. I did see at least one guy shooting BP and there was one guy in the posse I was watching shooting 45lc. Right now I only have one Ruger omv in 45lc so after talking to everyone I was considering just going the 38 direction if I decide to get involved. Then I thought about it more and the price difference once you reload doesn't seem too big between the two calibers so I think I will stick to the 45. Now the only tricky part would be finding a matching old model vaquero since a lot of the guys recommended having two of the same pistols. As you can see I think I have gotten myself even more confused.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The revolvers don't have to match. Heck, they don't have to be in the same caliber! It's just easier at the loading table. What caliber lever gun do you have?

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    The revolvers don't have to match. Heck, they don't have to be in the same caliber! It's just easier at the loading table. What caliber lever gun do you have?

Right now I do not have a lever action. I am trying to take my time buying the gear, looking for "deals" on used stuff. I figured I might eventually find someone with a semi-complete 45lc setup looking to get out of the sport or just find stuff piece by piece.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Right now I do not have a lever action. I am trying to take my time buying the gear, looking for "deals" on used stuff. I figured I might eventually find someone with a semi-complete 45lc setup looking to get out of the sport or just find stuff piece by piece.

Here's a decent deal on a 73 in 45 Colt http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=238791 You have to be a member of SASS to use the classifieds section on The Wire. Or know someone who is a member.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I went to my first match as an observer last weekend and it certainly seemed like 38 was the most popular caliber. I did see at least one guy shooting BP and there was one guy in the posse I was watching shooting 45lc. Right now I only have one Ruger omv in 45lc so after talking to everyone I was considering just going the 38 direction if I decide to get involved. Then I thought about it more and the price difference once you reload doesn't seem too big between the two calibers so I think I will stick to the 45. Now the only tricky part would be finding a matching old model vaquero since a lot of the guys recommended having two of the same pistols. As you can see I think I have gotten myself even more confused.

You do not need two of the same pistols. They do not even have to be in the same caliber, but it definitely helps.

Another good source is Chuckaroo's weekly email.
    Write to WildlifeRangers@aol.com and ask to be added.

From this week's email:
    SHOTGUNS

None

RIFLES

1873 in 45 LC, from Taylors in Winchester,VA. It has a 1/2 octagon and 1/2 round barrel. The gun has a Cody action job and a leather lever wrap and leather boot on butt stock. Has not seen a lot of use. $1350.00 I am looking for a 38-55 single shot, could trade.
    Rifleman CW (10/15)

Remington Argentine Rolling Block in caliber 43 Spanish (black powder cartridge). Assault rifle circa 1870! This original rifle also has a bayonet lug and the cleaning rod. Condition: shooter in good shape, metal has been re-browned, stock is original, has a small crack at the top tang but is in great shape with beautiful grain and figure. Barrel is 34½”, total length is 51”. I don’t think this rifle saw actual service. Flip up sights range out to 1,100 yards. Comes with dies, some modern brass, about 40 loaded cartridges, about 450 pre-lubed 400 grain hard-cast lead bullets and 1,000 wads. The 43 Spanish is a big cartridge with more powder capacity than the 45-70. This will easily take down deer for those that want to hunt with it. Black powder cartridges are easy to load on your modern bullet press (black powder only, no smokeless). Asking $725 for everything. Located in Damascus, Md. Contact Muad Dib (aka Rick Marler) at 301-332-6251 dmarler@gmail.com (09/15)

A. Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle .45 LC, Case harden receiver, 24.5 inch barrel, new in never been fired, $1150 Call Norman 443-375-1909 cell or email at fnlingenfelter@comcast.net (08/15)

HANDGUNS

Ruger Vaqueros, set of 2, .45 caliber cowboy action guns for sale. stainless steel, 4 inch barrel, white pearl grips. Used, but excellent condition. $1000 or best offer. Other accessories like holsters and chaps available for sale. I have the original box for one of the guns. You need an HQL in the state of Maryland for transfer.
    Contact Marty Greenblatt 410-931-3399 office (12/15)

Ruger Vaqueros, set of 2, .45 caliber cowboy action guns for sale. stainless steel, 6 inch barrel, white pearl grips. Used but excellent condition. $1100 or best offer. Other accessories like holsters and chaps for sale. You need an HQL in the state of Maryland for transfer. Contact Marty Greenblatt 410-931-3399 office (12/15)

Pietta 1860 Army .44 cal. Black powder revolver w / Kirst .45 colt (cowboy loads) conversion cylinder with loading gate and ejector. Loading ramp cut in revolver frame. Excellent condition. Fired less than 50 rounds (.45 colt) for testing. $450 plus shipping. Contact Rowdy Nighthawk aka Mark at rnighthawk108@aol.com 410-409-7440. (12/15)

Pietta 1858 Remington .44 cal. Black powder revolver w / Kirst .45 colt (cowboy loads) conversion cylinder with loading gate and ejector. Loading ramp cut in revolver frame. Excellent condition. Fired less than 50 rounds (.45 colt) for testing. $450 plus shipping. Contact Rowdy Nighthawk aka Mark at rnighthawk108@aol.com.410-409-7440. (12/15)

Ruger New Model Single Six .22 / .22 mag. 5.5 inch in stainless. Excellent condition. $525 plus shipping.. FFL transfer required. Contact Rowdy Nighthawk aka Mark at rnighthawk108@aol.com. 410-409-7440. (12/15)

Colt New Frontier .22 cal. 6 inch. Flat top, single action with adjustable sights. Blue/Color Case. Excellent condition. $550.plus shipping. FFL transfer required. Contact Rowdy Nighthawk aka Mark at rnighthawk108@aol.com.410-409-7440. (12/15)

Heckler & Koch (HK) USP Compact pistol, caliber .40 S&W. 1999. 3.6-inch barrel. Condition excellent, operation very reliable. Original plastic case, owner's manual, two 10-round steel magazines. Fires both single action and double action. Combination decocker/safety. All federal and state legal requirements will be fully complied with. The buyer must be a legal resident of Maryland, age 21, and possess a Handgun Qualification License, unless he/she qualifies for a statutory exemption. Photos available. $575. Douglas Johnson, 301-439-9087, douglas51@aol.com. (11/15)

Pair of Taylor smoke wagon Deluxe in 45lc I have a beautiful pair of Taylor Smoke Wagon deluxe SAA revolvers by Uberti. I have fired about a box of light load ammo out of each of them and that is it. The actions on these guns are beyond compare to any single action revolver I have ever felt. Asking $1000 for the pair, transfer through a FFL. Will include holsters and gun belt. Can include lots of .45lc brass and bullets and reloading supplies for extra if the buyer is interested. Please contact Samuel at ironcowboyusmc@gmail.com (07/15)

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    Well I got signed up to the list and emailed the last gentleman about the Taylor pistol setup with belt. I noticed some say 12/15 and his said 7/15. Is that mean anything?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Well I got signed up to the list and emailed the last gentleman about the Taylor pistol setup with belt. I noticed some say 12/15 and his said 7/15. Is that mean anything?

Excellent choice! The Smoke Wagons are, by all accounts, VERY nicely set up.
    I recognize that Rugers are solid pistols. but the proportions of the Ubertis and clones are much more pleasing to the eye.

I assume those are dates the ads will expire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom