• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    I have a new Homelite/Yamaha generator with 5 hours of use, that has been sitting for a while and does not start and need to be checked out.

I also have a washer that needs repairing.

I also a transfer switch installed so I can use the generator to light up the house during emergencies.

Please PM with availability.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Generator: drain gas and oil (separate containers!) And refill with fresh. Also change spark plug. Retry.

What doesn't work with the washer?

As for the tx switch, I used patriot electric out of Baltimore with good results in the past.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Generator: drain gas and oil (separate containers!) And refill with fresh. Also change spark plug. Retry.

What doesn't work with the washer?

As for the tx switch, I used patriot electric out of Baltimore with good results in the past.

LOgic: Thanks for the tips. I bought that gen the days after the DERECHO storm of 2010 (IIRC?). Used it for 2 hours, then emptied gas tank, added StaBil, ran it until it shut off by itself. I drained the oil, took out the sparkplug and poured a teaspoon of oil in the cavity. I refilled oil and gas and treed to start to no avail. I will check now if voltage is present on the sparkplug wire when I pull the starting cord.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    LOgic: Thanks for the tips. I bought that gen the days after the DERECHO storm of 2010 (IIRC?). Used it for 2 hours, then emptied gas tank, added StaBil, ran it until it shut off by itself. I drained the oil, took out the sparkplug and poured a teaspoon of oil in the cavity. I refilled oil and gas and treed to start to no avail. I will check now if voltage is present on the sparkplug wire when I pull the starting cord.

Sucks.... you did everything right, yeah start with the spark.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Sucks.... you did everything right, yeah start with the spark.

+1. Sounds like you pretty much returned it to "on the shelf" status when you were done.

Make sure you use a meter when checking for electrical activity at the spark plug. When my brother and I were working on a gas blower, he just said "Here, hold this" (I was 15) while he yanked the starter cable. Yeah, the spark plug had juice :mad54:

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    +1. Sounds like you pretty much returned it to "on the shelf" status when you were done.

Make sure you use a meter when checking for electrical activity at the spark plug. When my brother and I were working on a gas blower, he just said "Here, hold this" (I was 15) while he yanked the starter cable. Yeah, the spark plug had juice :mad54:

My best buddy (retired Navy electricians mate) told me to spray carb cleaner or starter fluid on the spark plug hole He said that I did the right thing by pouring drops of oil in the spark plug cavity to protect it, but that the oil is probably gummed up after 2 years sitting and the spark is not reaching the mixing chamber to get mixed with the air and gasoline. I will try tomorrow.

Cheers. and Happy New Year.:party29:

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Step dads gen would not start after a long sit, he pulled and pulled then he called me. I went over and flipped the on/off switch to on and two pulls later it was running.

Good luck

NOBODY

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

sometimes its sorta vapor locked where the gas hasnt got pulled into the bowl/carb...pour a teaspoon of gas in the combustion chamber then put the sparkplug back in. Try starting.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    First time I heard putting oil in combustion chamber. It may require few tries till the oil is gone. Also try a spray of engine starter liquid.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    If you're in BC pm Broncolou.

Lou installed my interlock switch, power meter and plug for my generator. I highly recommend him.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    First time I heard putting oil in combustion chamber. It may require few tries till the oil is gone. Also try a spray of engine starter liquid.

Typically people do this for long term storage purposes...

a small amount of starting fluid is ok...a lot can cause damage to the engine.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    First time I heard putting oil in combustion chamber.

The intention with putting oil into the cylinder before long-term storage is to keep rust from forming and rusting the piston to the rings to the cylinder wall, effectively seizing the engine.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    If you haven't gotten the transfer switch installed, this basically is an interlock for the main breaker that acts as a transfer switch, an Electrician i work with has installed a couple, ordered himself one just this morning, and when i get home to see which model panel i have i will be ordering one also

Nothing in Code against them, they are legal

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    If you want to store your generator this way, use fogging oil as it coats much more than just the cylinder bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom