• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    His challenge in selling brass to reloaders is, as a non shooter, separating the calibers correctly. I shoot a bit and am still finding .380s in my 9mm bin!!!

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If he is retired, he has the time to separate the brass.

And it is definitely worth more as reloadable brass than as scrap.

Of course he could still scrap the unusable stuff.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    His challenge in selling brass to reloaders is, as a non shooter, separating the calibers correctly. I shoot a bit and am still finding 308s in my 9mm bin!!!

If you get the separator set from Midway you can get a .380 insert to solve this.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    The comment of selling brass reminds me of the 25 55g barrels on pallets overflowing with 5.56 brass. :( It all probably ended up getting shredded in the scrap yard.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    You guys have to remember this man is in his late eighties. He has very little money, is not a shooter, doesn't use a computer, and probably doesn't know anybody that shoots other than me. He could probably make more money in the long run if he separated all the brass and found a way to sell it to shooters who happened to be looking for that particular caliber, but that's way more than he wants to do or probably capable of doing. I don't give him all that much brass to begin with. I think the last time he went to have it recycled he had 7 pounds and it took months for him to get that. He's tickled to get $10 or $15 dollars. To me, it is better to give occasional scrap brass, that I don't reload myself, to him to easily make a few bucks, than it is worry about people who can afford the shooting hobby saving a couple of cents by providing a place to get cheaper brass. But, that's just me.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    It's a nice thing you are doing for him. Sounds like his best bet would be to find a scrap yard that is paying a fair price instead of the last guys.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Thanks. Actually, I did call around and found him one. The other place was definitely ripping him off. The old place gave him under .50 per pound if it still had the primers, the new place gave him $1.15 and didn't care if it was primed or not.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Obamas America is great ain't it. A wonderful place where old men need to punch out primers of spent brass found in trash cans to get sixty more cents per pound. I'm so happy hes transformed America! All hail the giant democrat Dick head!

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Thanks 5.56, I bought him some Lee universal decapping pins, which I think will work, but now that he found a place that doesn't care if they're decapped or not he's probably okay. Nice offer though.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Thanks 5.56, I bought him some Lee universal decapping pins, which I think will work, but now that he found a place that doesn't care if they're decapped or not he's probably okay. Nice offer though.

Where did you pick up those pins? Just broke mine this weekend. Shipping is three times the cost of the pins.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    You guys have to remember this man is in his late eighties. He has very little money, is not a shooter, doesn't use a computer, and probably doesn't know anybody that shoots other than me. He could probably make more money in the long run if he separated all the brass and found a way to sell it to shooters who happened to be looking for that particular caliber, but that's way more than he wants to do or probably capable of doing. I don't give him all that much brass to begin with. I think the last time he went to have it recycled he had 7 pounds and it took months for him to get that. He's tickled to get $10 or $15 dollars. To me, it is better to give occasional scrap brass, that I don't reload myself, to him to easily make a few bucks, than it is worry about people who can afford the shooting hobby saving a couple of cents by providing a place to get cheaper brass. But, that's just me.
    I never reloaded but what are spent casings generally worth to a reloader?
    I would think that even unsorted brass would be worth more to a reloader than scrap value. I'd think that someone who is a reloader would be happy to take the brass of his hands for more than the scrap price, even if it is unsorted.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks. Actually, I did call around and found him one. The other place was definitely ripping him off. The old place gave him under .50 per pound if it still had the primers, the new place gave him $1.15 and didn't care if it was primed or not.

Where is this place?

I have been collecting damaged cases, blanks, and spent primers, so have a bit of brass scrap to get rid of.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom