AR15 collapsible stock- shortest one available?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I just walked over and checked. My factory CMMG only extends 1/2 inch beyond the carbine tube, so would this mean the whole discussion is about a maximum of 0.5 inch ?

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    I just walked over and checked. My factory CMMG only extends 1/2 inch beyond the carbine tube, so would this mean the whole discussion is about a maximum of 0.5 inch ?

The LWRCI Ultra Compact has a custom tube which is an inch shorter than a normal adjustable stock tube.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I'm speechless. Words escape me. That's rare.

Best of luck with the paperwork.

??? I'm missing the point of your post.

As for a thread update-
    I ordered the LWRC Ultra Compact and will report back when I get it installed. That Ace was a thing of beauty with a great reputation and strength but I think the LWRC is the shortest available option that does not use a locking system similar to the NEA and Troy. I have three scars on my right jaw line from the NEA slamming closed during courses of fire- that locking system will never touch a rifle of mine again.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    ??? I'm missing the point of your post.

As for a thread update-
    I ordered the LWRC Ultra Compact and will report back when I get it installed. That Ace was a thing of beauty with a great reputation and strength but I think the LWRC is the shortest available option that does not use a locking system similar to the NEA and Troy. I have three scars on my right jaw line from the NEA slamming closed during courses of fire- that locking system will never touch a rifle of mine again.
    Post 14--Troy recommendation from moi
    Post 15--Chad indicates issues with taking a dump
    Post 16--taken aback/speechless...wish him luck wiping

Detours not uncommon on here. Regret you read them and were confused/frustrated.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification. Your comment of "paperwork" went right over my head as I thought you were referring to NFA stamp.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Sorry for the comments fellas. I meant to harm. I'm actually sick and not doing well.
    Don't be sorry dude...we was just havin fun off ya (as my Canadian 'mate once said). At least I was just having fun off ya.

Karma caught up to me though.

The picture is etched cause now I've got the same damn curse. Got it from reading MDS threads with all y'all sick bubbas. Power of suggestion and all.

Get better soon. Feel better sooner!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Don't be sorry dude...we was just havin fun off ya (as my Canadian 'mate once said). At least I was just having fun off ya.

Karma caught up to me though.

The picture is etched cause now I've got the same damn curse. Got it from reading MDS threads with all y'all sick bubbas. Power of suggestion and all.

Get better soon. Feel better sooner!
    #Sux2Bsick

Last edited:

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    LWRC Ultra Compact just showed up.
    Below are pictures showing the rifle with a NEA stock currently installed and fully collapsed. Directly above is the LWRC Ultra Compact along with a standard M4 stock.

20141231_121212_zpsafs1nq2i.jpg

20141231_121158_zpstzrt018u.jpg

20141231_121146_zps2z1ytuo8.jpg

I'll get this installed today or tomorrow and get to the range asap so I can put this rifle back in duty in my truck.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Did the frame for that NEA stock crack? I could swear I see a craft where the slider stop engages when the stock is pulled rearward.

milwriter

Oct 21, 2013
    Bethesda
    Try Engage

Maybe it's too late for your build, but I hear Engage Armament is designing its own collapsible stock...might want to check with Andy on that one...it's pretty darn cool and takes care of the problems with the NEA and Troy versions...

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Chad- It's surface wear

20141231_141105_zpsbtu2vapx.jpg

When ol' Andy puts something out I will be sure to be paying very close attention. I tend to leave him alone so he can focus on the business and the 2A fight against Marylands fine government. I check the EA forum every time I log into this site. Thank you for the heads up that they're working on a short stock.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad- It's surface wear

20141231_141105_zpsbtu2vapx.jpg

When ol' Andy puts something out I will be sure to be paying very close attention. I tend to leave him alone so he can focus on the business and the 2A fight against Marylands fine government. I check the EA forum every time I log into this site. Thank you for the heads up that they're working on a short stock.

:thumbsup: I thought I was seeing it wrong. I appreciate you showing more detail, you didn't have to. :)

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    So the HK style stock isn't working right? Glad I never actually got the one I ordered two years ago...

It worked flawlessly, up until the point that it would not hold itself extended during a course of fire. Recoil would slam it closed which would result in the skin at my jawline getting slammed between the bolt carrier protrusion and the hollow part of the stock.

The way the stock works is a standard AR15 magazine cross bolt (I can't remember it's proper name) is used to hold the stock in the desired position. The head of the cross bolt sits in the machine recess on the guide rod on the stock. The surface contact area between the cross bolt head and the sidewall of the machined recess is very small. The pictures below will show that. As soon as the slightest amount of wear occurs, the shoulders of the cross bolt and the machined recess round off and allow the guide rod to "ramp" the cross bolt up and out of the way, allowing the stock to come unlocked.

The cross bolt, showing wear. Notice the shoulder is no longer square-
    20141231_142228_zpslcmuq5t2.jpg

20141231_142305_zps0ksrdeai.jpg

The hole in which the head of the cross bolt resides, and showing a rounded off edge in the sidewall of the machined flat on the guide rod-
    20141231_142515_zpsvqpncoch.jpg

A picture showing just rounded off edge outside of the latch hole. Note how small the contact patch is-
    20141231_142555_zpse5c0asqe.jpg

This system works great when new. However, the design allows for vital, highly stressed parts to have an extremely small contact patch. The result over time is the squared surfaces wear and round off, leading to failure. The design fails as a result of minimal wear.

I loved this stock when it was new. It will be in my recycle bin by this time tomorrow.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Maybe it's too late for your build, but I hear Engage Armament is designing its own collapsible stock...might want to check with Andy on that one...it's pretty darn cool and takes care of the problems with the NEA and Troy versions...

You are referring to the MVB ARC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom