• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Thinking about taking my kid out to learn to ski. How is Caanan Valley resort? We have been to Blackwater a few times and thought that might be a good place. Would rather go there than PA. Is it a good place to learn skiing/snowboarding?

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Wherever you go, make sure you make plans lessons. Snowboarding is not a "wing it" type of activity. You also have Ski Liberty and Wisp. The local conditions around us aren't that great.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Wherever you go, make sure you make plans lessons. Snowboarding is not a "wing it" type of activity. You also have Ski Liberty and Wisp. The local conditions around us aren't that great.

skiing is not a "wing it" activity either. You may be able to get down some easy hills without killing yourself, but if you ever want to be able to ski double blacks you need to get instruction from someone who is better than you are. I've never skied in WV but Wisp is a good option. I've only been out to Roundtop so far this year but eight times in the last two and a half weeks the conditions have been pretty good.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    timberline (adjacent to canaan's slopes) has a short but pretty flat run good for beginners. timberline also has a 2 mile run (upper and lower salamander) that is relatively easy. nice in that you're not spending all your time on the chairlift.

my BIL took his kids to massanutten last year and said they had some real good beginner runs but I don't know the details.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Killington is some great skiing except it's like zero degrees there.

But their is less humidity in Vermont.. And much better skiing than western MD or WV..
    Growing up one set of my.parents had a vacation home on the mountain in Killington. As we got older it got sold and one was bought in Breckenridge, CO. ... Once you ski out west skiing the east coast just kinna blows chunks... Ahhh powder.... And young knees..

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I do like Canaan Valley. I am at Wisp right now and the conditions are very good. Not too crowded this weekend. I don't know anything about their ski school.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    Temberline is better than Canaan IMO. I have skied both. It has been a long time though. When we went to Canaan half of the slopes were closed because they didn't have blowers. The two are really close so you could try both. Have fun be safe!

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I really enjoyed skiing in the past. I could easily do intermediate slopes in Colorado.

I hope my ACL replacement still allows me to downhill ski. My wife has tried but hates skiing. We have friends who the husband skis but the wife only does x-country skiing. So we are trying to set something up with them.

A few years ago wife and I went to Wisp for a 4 day weekend. Snow wasn't good but wasn't horrible. The snow tubing was awesome.

I would love to set something up for Seven Springs. It's about a 4 our drive into PA but well worth it. When I was young my family went there a couple years in a row and it was great. Very good facility, not just for skiing but even for non-skiers. Hopefully it's still good there for that.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Snowshoe is the best of the three, then Timberline. Snowshoe has more amenities and such.

I grew up close to Snowshoe. Went skiing there all the time. When I was a teen they had beer shacks at the bottom of each lift so you could get a hefty mug to drink on the ride back up. They never carded :D. I don't know for sure when they got rid of them, sometime after I left for the service.

I'm taking my four year old to learn to ski this upcoming weekend at Blue Knob in PA. Usually a lot less crowded then other resorts.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Seven Springs for a weekend or mid week get away. 4 hours or less from most of MD (5 from SOMD) Very good ski/snowboard programs from tiny tots through adults or advanced. Snow tubing, great food from quick slopeside to fine dinning and bars. Lots to do for non skiers as well, sporting clays, snowmobiles, swimming pool, bowling alley, video gameroom, miniature golf and more. Did I say bars :D. Depending on the dates I might be able to hook you up with one of our properties at a little better rate than here: http://www.vrbo.com/452363. As a bonus if you want to get up early on a Sunday morning it's about a 45 minute drive to shoot with the Hooligan's at the Savage range.

Ski Roundtop just north of York is a great day skiing trip (no lodging there but you could stay in the York area if needed) I particularly like there due to the way it's laid out with the easiest beginners slope all the way down on the right end of the mountain (with it's own lift) and then it gets progressively harder as you go to the left end of the mountain. If you're skiing with a group of varying abilities most lifts get you to the top and there are several slopes/trails to get down, mostly greens and blues. You'll all get down to the bottom about the same time and regroup for the lift ride back up.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Canaan isn't bad. I like snowshoe a lot more.

Most people I know, who really like skiing, like Snowshoe more. If you don't stay right at Snowshoe, consider Elk River Bed and Breakfast. Stayed there last June and it was pretty nice and not all that expensive. Skiing isn't as good at the local resorts, but it's not all that expensive to go to Liberty, Roundtop or Whitetail. Go just a day or so after a natural snow and it's not bad at all. Canaan and Snowshoe are a weekend (or more) trip. Snowshoe is about 5-1/2 - 6 hrs from my house in Central MD. Canaan Valley about 4-1/2 - 5 hrs. And that's if the road conditions don't slow you down much.

Edit: forgot about Wisp. It should be good if it has nice natural snow...as it does right now.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Seven Springs for a weekend or mid week get away. 4 hours or less from most of MD (5 from SOMD) Very good ski/snowboard programs from tiny tots through adults or advanced. Snow tubing, great food from quick slopeside to fine dinning and bars. Lots to do for non skiers as well, sporting clays, snowmobiles, swimming pool, bowling alley, video gameroom, miniature golf and more. Did I say bars :D. Depending on the dates I might be able to hook you up with one of our properties at a little better rate than here: http://www.vrbo.com/452363. As a bonus if you want to get up early on a Sunday morning it's about a 45 minute drive to shoot with the Hooligan's at the Savage range.

Ski Roundtop just north of York is a great day skiing trip (no lodging there but you could stay in the York area if needed) I particularly like there due to the way it's laid out with the easiest beginners slope all the way down on the right end of the mountain (with it's own lift) and then it gets progressively harder as you go to the left end of the mountain. If you're skiing with a group of varying abilities most lifts get you to the top and there are several slopes/trails to get down, mostly greens and blues. You'll all get down to the bottom about the same time and regroup for the lift ride back up.

Many years ago I skiied at Roundtop. I, too, liked the layout.

Also, just about 4 hrs away is Massanutten.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I grew up close to Snowshoe. Went skiing there all the time. When I was a teen they had beer shacks at the bottom of each lift so you could get a hefty mug to drink on the ride back up. They never carded :D. I don't know for sure when they got rid of them, sometime after I left for the service.

I'm taking my four year old to learn to ski this upcoming weekend at Blue Knob in PA. Usually a lot less crowded then other resorts.

Where near Snowshoe? My Dad was born in Arbovale and I had a lot of relations in Arbovale and Greenbank until many either moved away or grew old and passed on. In fact, my Aunt Effie lived in one of the old company homes right in Cass until she began to decline. Still have some cousins in Marlinton, Dunmore and Elkins. Also some distant cousins in the area, but I don't know most of them.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    One more place I just thought about....not really close but not too bad a weekend trip. Ski Sawmill: http://www.skisawmill.com/the-mountain/

It's not a really great place for skiers who are more advanced, but it's a small place and not usually too crowded. My church made several weekend youth trips there sometime back and it's where my kids really came into their own with skiing. They had skied some before (started when they were 4 and 7) but really got a lot better after lessons at Sawmill. The slopes are almost perfect for beginners or easy intermediate. There's a kind of cool little trail at the top of the mountain. Get off and then go down a trail (instead of a black diamond) that's not bad for someone just beginning....but they can also begin to stretch out their ability a bit. Plus, if they go off with someone else for a bit (don't know how old your kid is...mine were pre-teen and teen...a we were with a church group) it isn't so big a resort that it's all that bad to find them again

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom