• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    700 for a can of 22 now. ide look at getting a new unit.
    Yes, my wife and I have discussed that. It'd probably be a full-on furnace/AC replacement, though... ouch. At least we could get something that doesn't suck as bad as we have now (barely any fan pressure at the opposite end of the house).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Got to love all those taxes the government tosses at us so obozo can go on a 100 million dollar vacation...:mad54:

The factor driving up the cost of refrigerant (ie freon) is regulation, not taxes.The Montreal Protocol mandates an annual cap on production of certain refrigerants. This cap decreases every year so as less freon is available the price goes up. Typical supply and demand scenario: at first you gripe about the price and then you're just happy to get it. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    The factor driving up the cost of refrigerant (ie freon) is regulation, not taxes.The Montreal Protocol mandates an annual cap on production of certain refrigerants. This cap decreases every year so as less freon is available the price goes up. Typical supply and demand scenario: at first you gripe about the price and then you're just happy to get it. It's going to get worse before it gets better.
    x2...especially 22 which is a phase out refrigerant. it is not produced anymore as im sure you know so we are running on what was stored by dupont"freon" and other manufacturers. i believe they really jumped the gun on the whole 410 bandwagon. while it seems a good refrigerant,i haven't found any extensive research to indicate its working life span.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If his R22 was leaking or low the coils on the inside would be frozen over and the connection outside where the lines attach to the compressor would be frozen over. All frosty.
    If your outside unit runs (no freezing) but fan not blowing, then it's probably a capacitor or control board issue. Generally not the capacitor, although they do go bad.
    If nothing is running at all, then most likely your condensation safety is shutting the whole system off.
    sent from somewhere in the world.

Wrong.

Would one of the apprentices here care to explain why this is not correct?

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    It could be the capacitor on the outside unit. It's a $10-$20 part and easy to install BUT (disclaimer) you can always get electrocuted!!!!!! Sometimes it is best to leave it to the processionals...but after paying $180 and watching the HVAC do it the Summer before and the same thing happen the next Summer, I could not bring myself to not trying. FYI - in understand that the capacitor can/may hold an electric charge, so do not even consider this advice...I would hate for you to end up (x_x)

Could be the run cap, which holds a charge. I just had one go bad. If the compressor runs and the fan doesn't...take a paint stick and try to spin the fan, if it fires up and runs...it's probably the run cap.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Some of this may be true if its a heat pump and freezing cold outside! lol. (refering the quote about the apprentice!)

To the guy who has an R-22 leak, I would seriously consider replacing your unit before getting it charged. As several have said R-22 is outragous! You said you have a furnace? Without more information you may be able to just replace your condenser and coil and save a few dollars if the furnace is still in good shape. Later down the road replace just the furnace. This is fairly typical and usually easier than you would think but it all depends on what system you have and duct layout etc...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The furnace is super old, probably from when the house was built in the late 60's. We've known forever that we'd need to do an HVAC replacement, it's not really a huge deal.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    you can buy a jug of R22 or R410 off of craigslist - it's a lot less

but you still have to find the leak and if it is a real old unit, maybe time to replace

my new unit saves me $50 per month on electricity

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    you can't just put 410 in a R22 machine, 410 only runs in machunes designed and built for it.

Harry Homeowner beware, system pressures in a 410 machine can be 800 psi

my advice with machines labeled for 410, don't mess with them unless you have had 410 training

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The furnace is super old, probably from when the house was built in the late 60's. We've known forever that we'd need to do an HVAC replacement, it's not really a huge deal.

Do it this year. You can get up to a $500 federal income tax credit, up to a $500 rebate from Pepco, and possibly another $500 from the Maryland BESMART program (this program ends 9-1-13).

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    you can't just put 410 in a R22 machine, 410 only runs in machunes designed and built for it.

Harry Homeowner beware, system pressures in a 410 machine can be 800 psi

my advice with machines labeled for 410, don't mess with them unless you have had 410 training
    410 training is about to be mandatory addition to CFC cert soon too isnt it?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Turned out I was a pound short of R22 and the compressor was clogged up from my lawn people being idiots. Fixed both, and my air conditioning is back. Still going to need to get the system replaced in the spring, I think.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    illegally

you can buy guns on street corners in Baltimore and DC too

pretty sure MDS has a policy against telling people how to do things that are illegal

You are supposed to be EPA certified to install R22 etc Freon. This requires you either
    1) send me a copy of your 609 EPA certification or
    2) send a statement to me stating you will have an EPA certified technician install the Freon or that you will be re-selling it to a certified tech.

you can buy it after certifying you will have an EPA certified technician install the Freon or if you are an EPA cert tech

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Turned out I was a pound short of R22 and the compressor was clogged up from my lawn people being idiots. Fixed both, and my air conditioning is back. Still going to need to get the system replaced in the spring, I think.

If your system includes fossil fuel heating, you should seriously consider doing it in the fall **this year**. Your will find your best prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom