• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    We had a leak in our bathroom, and had to open up the textured drywall ceiling to get to the leavy valve. We have some old water stains on there too, so we figured we would just replace the ceiling in the bathroom. Its about 8x10, need it 100% with paint.

lmk what you can offer. tks!

virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    I just tried my hand at drywall for the first time a couple weeks ago. The results were ok, at best :sad20:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Drywall for guns?

I do my drywall with a bazooka.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzjMrCCYdVs

have you considered putting up drop ceiling? I usually recommend that to people with stacked bathrooms and potential plumbing issues.

THIS X a bazillion.

With bathrooms you never have a leak.

I was in the same situation. I had the drywall ceiling fixed. Then it leaked again so I ripped it all out and replaced it with the DIY plastic stuff from Lowes. I originally used the fiber ceiling tiles but after yet another leak I put all plastic tiles back. They are the kind that are normally used for florescent light fixtures.

It isn't that hard because if you have a drywall ceiling you should have the framing to be able to do the 'drop' ceiling.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    There are new ceiling tile systems that can go right below joists if ceiling height is a problem. Usually a drop ceiling requires sacrificing about 4-6" to allow for tile placement. The system I used in my financee's basement had channels nailed right to the joists. The tiles were put in place, and cap strips were snapped into place to retain the tiles. The resulting loss in ceiling height was about an inch.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    There are new ceiling tile systems that can go right below joists if ceiling height is a problem. Usually a drop ceiling requires sacrificing about 4-6" to allow for tile placement. The system I used in my financee's basement had channels nailed right to the joists. The tiles were put in place, and cap strips were snapped into place to retain the tiles. The resulting loss in ceiling height was about an inch.

That is what I used. I know I am being picky but was only about a 1/2" loss since the sheetrock that was up there originally was about a 1/2" thick.:innocent0

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    most times basement bathrooms under another bathroom don't have sheetrock tight to the ceiling anyways, its dropped, or there is a bulkhead for something.

with drop ceiling you will find the next leak a lot faster.

Either way, if you can't find someone local, send me a pm and I can do it.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I dont want anyone to drive further than what its worth for them... I have a good contractor, and a MDS buddy refered another one to me. Both are kinda busy and I was just hoping to throw some green to a MDS'er instead.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I dont want anyone to drive further than what its worth for them... I have a good contractor, and a MDS buddy refered another one to me. Both are kinda busy and I was just hoping to throw some green to a MDS'er instead.

small drywall repairs are never worth it, either you spend most of the day watching hot mud dry, or you make four 2 hour trips.

hang/tape, go back and skim, go back and skim, sand paint.

the only way to do it in one day is to use minute mud and mesh tape, which I hate. anything hot enough to dry twice in one day, drys too fast to use on large runs(for me) and its harder to sand.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    thats why I was hoping to find a local guy that can just come by and do what they need to do on their time. I am in no rush, my wife just wants it done 100% at some point in the near future.

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    That is what I used. I know I am being picky but was only about a 1/2" loss since the sheetrock that was up there originally was about a 1/2" thick.:innocent0

You might have to shim the underside of the joist to get a planar surface.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Interested...could you provide a link or a name for this system, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom