• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Well, it seems that I was the only one who felt that way about these two, and I was very hesitant to pop for them, even at a pretty low price, but I did. The amount of pitting that's surely going to be under the furniture concerns me, but it might not be too bad. Matching numbers, no import marks, good crests ... all are nice to see. At the worst, they'll make nice display pieces but I'm hoping for the best. There's always a risk.

In any case, I love a challenge, and this is a way to add two Venezuelans to my South American collection at once ... ones that have been there and done that. Let's see if Kaptain Kroil can work miracles on these. The fact that they've clearly been in storage somewhere for decades, with older tags and dried cosmoline on them, just seemed to call to me.

The first one didn't especially ring my bells, but I like it. Rack marks are always cool, and this one appears to have one mark over top another. This seems to be an earlier (maybe pre-war) Model 24/30 "short rifle".

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=426615243#BID

The second one intrigues me. I need to do some research on this one to see if it's original, or someone did some mods to it awhile back. I'm betting on it being original, think it's a 24/30 carbine, and appreciate that nobody with a special interest in Naval firearms spotted that "Fuerzas Armadas" marking.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=426616863

Gotta find some cleaning rods, etc., but there's always something. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

So ... what's the general consensus? Am I going to be able to make these into a couple of silk purses, or did I just over-pay for a couple of sow's ears? :innocent0

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I like the crest!

Yeah ... both crests are nice. They're the early style Venezuelan national arms/shield, so at worst they'll be good display pieces ... and I'm hoping that you get 21% fewer cavities with crest. (Someone here's bound to be old enough to remember that ad.)

This is what the new style national arms looks like.

venezuela.jpg

Jul 1, 2012
    At the very least a big thumbs-up to the seller for providing some superb pictures for you to see all the details and condition (description wasn't much, but the pics made up for it in a big way). Honestly a better set of pics than you typically see on guns at 10x the price.

It'll be interesting to see what you can do with them. A lot of potential there...

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    At the very least a big thumbs-up to the seller for providing some superb pictures for you to see all the details and condition (description wasn't much, but the pics made up for it in a big way). Honestly a better set of pics than you typically see on guns at 10x the price.

It'll be interesting to see what you can do with them. A lot of potential there...

Yepper! He laid out all the warts and boils for everyone to see.

It was actually the same photos that may have scared others off that made me think there's some hope. Although there are several ferrous oxide "blooms" showing throughout the rifle, the photos were clear enough that it didn't look like there was a great deal of deep corrosion. You never know, but I might get lucky.

He very clearly sold this as a "what you see is what you get and all sales final" sort of thing.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They look good to me. I'm a sucker for the right ugly old gun, especially blued revolvers with no shortage of character and patina.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    honestly they dont look that bad to me, then again i like a bit of a challenge. Those should clean up pretty nice. The stocks while they look black from grime aren't in terrible shape and with some gentle cleaning my really surprise you. I'm interested to see after pictures I bet both will come out very nice looking.

BTW I love rack numbers! its part of the history that rifle meant something to someone in its past and may have been used to save their life at one point.

I used to be hesitant with rack numbers on M1s but now i dont mind them at all just part of the history of them!

smoothebore

Yeah ... both crests are nice. They're the early style Venezuelan national arms/shield, so at worst they'll be good display pieces ... and I'm hoping that you get 21% fewer cavities with crest. (Someone here's bound to be old enough to remember that ad.)

This is what the new style national arms looks like.

venezuela.jpg

Good deal, those look very solid. After you break the rust-weld to the wood, I bet your magic will work wonders. Regarding Crest, I think my family was in the other test group based on the number of cavities as a kid.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    They a are definitely rough. Good luck with the restoration project. I have two rifles here that I need to finish stock repairs on and get back together.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I think you did Excellent! I have been away from buying anything as I am not at home or they would have been on my radar too. I am always looking for South American examples!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I think you did Excellent! I have been away from buying anything as I am not at home or they would have been on my radar too. I am always looking for South American examples!

I hope that you are hitting the LGSs and hock shops when/if you get out of the keys and into SOFL. There's some good C$R stuff in that part of the world ... just stay away from pawn shops in Deland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom