• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I do not believe archery target shooting is regulated by state law. Rather, it is primarily controlled by county and city law. For example, in Montgomery County:
    Sec. 57-6. Discharge of bows.
    (a) Prohibition. A person must not discharge a bow in the County:
    (1) from, onto, or across a public road;
    (2) into or within 150 yards of a building or camp designed for human occupancy without the owner or occupant's written consent; or
    (3) from, onto, or across public or private property without the owner or occupant's written consent;
    (b) Exception. Subsection (a) does not apply to target archery practiced in compliance with safety guidelines established in regulations adopted under method (2).

That "Method (2)" refers to COMCOR 56.06.01
    Target archery may be practiced in the County under the following circumstances:
    (a) Target archery may be practiced on public property in the County in any area designated for target archery.
    (b) Target archery may be practiced on private property in the County with the owner or occupant's written consent as long as:
    (1) an arrow does not travel across or hit on a public road or strike any person, animal, or vehicle on a public road; and
    (2) an arrow does not travel across or land on property owned or occupied by a person who has not given written consent for the target archery, or hit any person, animal, building, or vehicle.

I have yet to find any law or regulation that is not published online for free and public access. So best bet is to look up your county code, then city code.

Sep 22, 2011
    Man Let them arrows fly.. You will be fine especially with your shed as a emergency back stop. Cops are pretty good guys when it comes to stuff like that most of them have sons an daughters that they do the same with.. Always glad to hear when young people are getting involved in the outdoors!! Good Job an Good Luck

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    Check your local law. A few years ago there was a rapist using a crossbow to threaten victims, and it resulted in some local laws being passed about crossbows, and I believe in one case compound bows, being retricted as to use near residences. Usually you can locate the local laws on the Internet under your county governemnt. Don't rely on the verbal okay of a local LE, it won't mean anything if you get taken to court.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I do not believe archery target shooting is regulated by state law. Rather, it is primarily controlled by county and city law. For example, in Montgomery County:

That "Method (2)" refers to COMCOR 56.06.01

I have yet to find any law or regulation that is not published online for free and public access. So best bet is to look up your county code, then city code.

glistam - if you don't mind, can you send me that link with the info on MoCo. I wasn't given that information when I moved in. Which brings up a whole other subject but I'll digress and refrain from my commentary on obscure laws. Thanks in advance.

Kev

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    "you with a handgun i the woods I would arrest you for illegal possession of a handgun" - made me think of the MD regs and just shooting a bunch of revolvers with my old man telling me he loves hunting with his .41 Rem. i guess the young LEO wouldn't have had a problem with your pistol slung across your back???? just askin'.

it's always good to learn something new every day. no matter who it comes from. just sayin'

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    I cant find any laws about bows in Baltimore county. All the DNR stuff is about hunting and not target shooting. Can anyone find anything about the county laws for Baltimore?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Definitely check local laws. It is illegal in Balto Co within the metropolitan area. Includes bows, pellet guns and a slew of other stuff. Only exception is waterfowl hunting and there is a bunch of regs with that.

Nelben

Jan 11, 2010
    Baltimore
    I checked Baltimore city ordinances a few years ago and there's a lot that's illegal, but shooting a bow is not one of them. Should be fine in the county.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Like has been posted, unless Baltimore has a more restrictive law, target archery is safe. Funny story, the first time I did it in my backyard in HoCo, my neighbor called the cops. They show up, take one look at me, then go over and explain matters to my neighbor. I had to keep myself from laughing. These were three cops who did know the law.

Rockerspsl

Apr 10, 2011
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Can't quote any local laws, but about 10 years ago, my neighbor was a LEO and he practiced archery in his back yard. This was in a residential area of Severn, and the houses were much closer than 50 yards, but (1) He probably had talked to the neighbors first, and (2) he used his shed as a backstop, his yard was too small to not have use the shed. So some LEO's are knowledgeable or at least amicable to outdoor sports if practiced responsibly.

wequay

May 16, 2012
    Annapolis, MD
    Cut and paste from another site....this covers AACo. Looks like "100 yards from structure" and "use a large backstop".
    -------------------------

Anne Arundel County Code;
    Division III - Crimes & Punishments;
    Article 11 - Crimes & Civil Penalties;
    Title 4. - Weapons;

§ 4-102 deals with other 'weapons', such as ARCHERY gear and is what I had discussed above regarding your archery rules. Here is the actual code:

§ 4-102. Bows and arrows, BB guns, slingshots, and the like.
    (a) In this section, "weapon" means a bow and arrow, BB gun, slingshot, or other device designed to discharge a pellet or other object by force of a spring, elastic band, gas cylinder, air cylinder, or gas or air cartridge.
    (b) A person may not sell, give away, lend, or otherwise transfer a weapon to a minor.
    (c) A person may not discharge or use a weapon on private property without the express permission of the owner or other parson entitled to possession of the property.
    (d) A person may not discharge or use a weapon except in a manner that will prevent the discharged pellet or object from traversing grounds or space outside the limits of the property on which the weapon is discharged or used.
    (e) A person may not discharge a weapon within 100 yards of a structure or camp occupied by human beings or commonly used by human beings except:
    (1) if there is in use a safe and reasonable backstop of sufficient size and composition to ensure that the projectile or arrow cannot pass through the target or backstop; or
    (2) at a bona fide commercial indoor or outdoor target range under the supervision of an adult.
    (f) This section may not be construed to make lawful anything otherwise prohibited by law.
    (g) A person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 60 days or both.
    --------------------

shadowreaper

Aug 28, 2012
    i just got a bow and was wondering what the laws where containing to transporting a bow and shooting targets in say a field where there are not many people or houses

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    i just got a bow and was wondering what the laws where containing to transporting a bow and shooting targets in say a field where there are not many people or houses

Did you even read the rest of this thread? There are no laws on transporting a bow. It's not a gun.

And rules on where you may shoot are by county, not state. You will have to provide your specific location.

jeepin13

Jan 10, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Thread from the dead. My buddy just sent me a pic of a big 8pt that is in his yard every day. He lives in Jarretsville on 1.17 acres. He does have houses on both sides but his property is way more deep than wide. Would it be legal to shoot this buck with a crossbow as long as it was on his property and I had his permission?

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    To be legal, I think you will need the permission of the neighbors since on a 1.17 acre lot you would not have the requisite 150 yards from an occupied dwelling (unless you are in Frederick where it is 50 yards). If the neighbors are ok with it and you are allowed to go into the woods behind the house (where you will most likely have to retreive the deer) then you should be ok.

Or just shoot it and beg for forgiveness later...

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Here in Balto Co. it is no problem shooting arrows in the backyard, just as long as you do not endanger the public. I shoot a bag target on a frame backed up against the house. If one goes wild, it will hit brick. Check with your local police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom