• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    In a discussion with a friend and I am confused: does Maryland recognize an out-of-state LEO rights to carry in MD under LEOSA Carry Law?

I heard (maybe just BS) that the out-of-state LEO must be on official duty.

How about setting me straight.

Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Check #31

31*All 50 states exempt their own on-duty police officers from statutes governing the right to carry concealed weapons. A majority of states allow within their borders other states' peace officers to carry concealed weapons if on official business. Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, and Vermont allow on and off-duty out-of-state officers to carry concealed weapons. California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Vermont, and Wyoming allow carry-concealed permits or rights for retired officers.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/p...n/january2011/off_duty_firearms#disablemobile

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto

since the following sentence doesn't state out-of-state is it implied?
    California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Vermont, and Wyoming allow carry-concealed permits or rights for retired officers.

On the other hand - the following states specifically out-of-state:

A majority of states allow within their borders other states' peace officers to carry concealed weapons if on official business. Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, and Vermont allow on and off-duty out-of-state officers to carry concealed weapons

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Permits do not = HR218

Yes Retired and Off Duty LEO's with the proper Quals and Credentials can carry in MD under HR218.

Heck the MSP qualifies (or used to) out of state LEO retirees.

Some departments are jerks about qualifiying their retired Officer though once they leave the State. Baltimore City is one of them.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    In a discussion with a friend and I am confused: does Maryland recognize an out-of-state LEO rights to carry in MD under LEOSA Carry Law?

Thanks

Check #31
    31*All 50 states exempt their own on-duty police officers from statutes governing the right to carry concealed weapons. A majority of states allow within their borders other states' peace officers to carry concealed weapons if on official business. Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, and Vermont allow on and off-duty out-of-state officers to carry concealed weapons. California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Vermont, and Wyoming allow carry-concealed permits or rights for retired officers.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/p...n/january2011/off_duty_firearms#disablemobile

The #31 footnote refers to the patchwork laws of states prior to LEOSA.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Depending on his status, retired from military, amount of time as military police he is covered by HB 281. He would need to check with his former branch as far as creds being issued. Internet has info on this. Hope this helps.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I am a retired DC LEO that has always lived in MD. My understanding is that I can concealed carry in ALL 50 states under LEOSA (HR218) as long as I qualify once a year and carry picture retired ID issued by my former department. I usually qualify in PGCo. This is what the instructors teach us every year. I also have a MD carry with no restrictions except where prohibited such as airports and courts. The amended LEOSA (2007) even specifies that I can carry hollow points in NJ since that had been my duty issued ammo.

Depending on his status, retired from military, amount of time as military police he is covered by HB 281. He would need to check with his former branch as far as creds being issued. Internet has info on this. Hope this helps.

Most info helps. Guidance goes a long way. He served 4 years in VN. His patrolling outward bounds of AF bases gives me little info of his service. Thank you

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I thought LEOSA was good for all states regardless of state laws. If a retired MD LEO moves to say, NJ or FL how does he maintain his LEOSA permit?

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I thought LEOSA was good for all states regardless of state laws. If a retired MD LEO moves to say, NJ or FL how does he maintain his LEOSA permit?
    Yes provided he continues the training his agency requires.
    For some that is a pita. Thats why they get state permits.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Federal law supersedes state law. Part of the reason LEOSA was passed was to trump those states that restricted officers form other states form carrying.

If you have a police retired ID that indicates "Retired in Good Standing," and a LEOSA card indicating you passed yearly qualification, you are good for all 50 states period.

In MD, MSP will give officers retired in good standing, who make a timely application after retirement a free, non-restricted handgun permit. The only real benefits are you don't have to qualify and it is free, but it is only good in MD.

If you have LEOSA certification, you don't need a MD handgun permit.

If your agency won't do LEOSA certifications, (mine would not for fear of lawsuits....idiots) you can go to the Training Commission in Sykesville and get what you need of $50. You have to make a reservation, and they do the class once a month.

PG Community College also does it, but it is pricey, $125 if you don't live in-county.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Not in the case of LEOSA. It is written that all state laws apply

Not correct in this context. The "sate laws notwithstanding" caveat means:

Carry is still permitted, the exceptions only deal with certain establishments, bars, private clubs etc, and local government property.

Carry, in general is permitted, as in the sate cannot say that a LEOSA certified person cannot carry within the state.

If you are talking about:

"shall not be construed to supersede or limit the rules, regulations, policies, or practices of any State or local law enforcement agency"

This amendment was opposed by the sponsors of the bill, and was rejected by the Committee 21-11, so the enacted law contains no such exception.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    MD law provided for out of state only on official duty.

However LEOSA overrides that.

If you qualify for LEOSA you can carry in all 50 states plus D.C.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda

Thanks

Any LEO (must have statutory powers of arrest for ANY crime; be authorized by their department to use a firearm; have their valid departmental I.D. card; have qualified with a the type of firearm they carry within the previous 12 months) can carry on or off duty throughout the U.S., D.C., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam, WITHOUT a permit. Just don't go to a K-12 school, try to board a plane while carrying (common carrier vessel) or go into a federal building and you are fine.

Only some states have LEOSA I.D. cards for retirees. Actively employed should follow the above info.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    PG Community College also does it said:
    A friend of mine told me that P.G. County provides the ammo and the sidearm so the $125 is not that bad given the cost of 100 rounds of ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom