• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulK

Jan 18, 2009
    Huntingtown, MD USA
    I was doing a bit of exploring the other day and found the Calvert County Sportmans Club off of German Chapel Road. Any one know anything about them?

PaulK

Jan 18, 2009
    Huntingtown, MD USA
    I don't know, X. I was coming up towards P-Fred from Hallowing Point with the plan of heading south on Rte 4. Rather than go through the Rte 4 intersection I turned right onto German Chapel. On the left I saw a sign for Calvert County Sportmans Club. I don't recall seeing a Parran Rd intersection.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Did some digging and this is what I found:

Calvert County Sportsmans Club
    (410) 535-0433
    380 German Chapel Rd, Prince Frederick, MD 20678

Private skeet/archery club that has been around since at least 1953. No website on them so info is hard to come by.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    Paul, the only thing I see in Calvert beside the Power Plant is at Calvert High School. It shows an indoor range of 10 meters, but that is private. There is Sanners Lake (which you already know about) and a few other ranges. But there is absolutely nothing on the Maryland website I just looked at that is located in Calvert. Nothing that is for Public use anyway.

I did hear at one time the Sheriff' Department was going to build a range in Calvert. The range was going to be open to the Police Monday and Tuesday, but open to the public Wednesday through Sunday. This was supposed to generate enough funds to be self sufficient. But good ole BGE at Calvert Cliffs stepped in and said, we have a range, just come down here and use ours for free. Needless to say, that was the end of any local range.

It kinda sucks because it would be nice to have something locally. But for right now at least, nothing is in the works. Plus the way this County has grown during the past 20 years, someone with money would complain about any noise from an outdoor range. Even if someone had the proper amount of property to build a nice range, I doubt the Commissioners would even vote something like this in at all anymore around Calvert. There would be too much complaining from the people who hate noise, and the people who are anti-gun.

Unfortunately gun ranges are a dying breed just like the old NASCAR Tracks from yester-year. At least around here.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I know this is an very old thread but, I would love more information on this club.

I was driving down german chapel road yesterday for the first time in probably 10 years. I noticed the sign for the Calvert County Sportsmans club. I remember seeing years ago but never gave it a second thought. Now I am really interested in finding out more about it. There is almost no info available online about this place.

If you know anything about it and would like to share some info I am all ears.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I did hear at one time the Sheriff' Department was going to build a range in Calvert. The range was going to be open to the Police Monday and Tuesday, but open to the public Wednesday through Sunday. This was supposed to generate enough funds to be self sufficient. But good ole BGE at Calvert Cliffs stepped in and said, we have a range, just come down here and use ours for free. Needless to say, that was the end of any local range.

This was true but the Sheriff's Dept got tired of the rules imposed to shoot here at Calvert Cliffs. They did build a range at the landfill and it was going to be accessible to the public but a video got out of a 12 to 14 year old son of an officer shooting full auto stuff and it got squashed. The pest hope for a public range in Calvert is going to be Chuck Early.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    You want to try to contact Maurice Lusby (co-owner of Lusby Motor Company). I think he is/was one of the board members of the Sportsman's Club.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    I got married there.

It's really just a building back in the woods. No shooting or anything.

They just renovated it (maybe to have events there, I don't know) and put an addition on.

To join, you need 2 sponsors and attend monthly meetings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom