• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Thanks, I'm very happy, I heard some came with a forced matched slide,
    this one is matching frame slide and barrel, also the lowest # from this batch that I've seen so far. The wood grips are in bad shape
    almost no checkering and black with grease and grime. Has a lanyard post
    but no ring,(removed for the new grips I ordered), of course no mag this state being what it is! Rear sight is banged up on the top edge, and the finish is worn but
    the action is tight and clean inside, I don't think it's been shot much, sure was carried a lot though. From posts on other sites most had Star of David markings
    can't find one on this.
    Rick

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Very nice! Received mine too. Finish is surprisingly not bad and the grips are not bad either. It has a load of old grease I would describe as grime. Gonna have to take it down and clean it good.

My serial starts with a Z and the number is in the 33000's. From what I could find, mine should be from the late 40's. Yours should be earlier.

This is my first experience with Hi Powers. I wonder two things. Can new magazines work in this P35? Also, these won't dry fire with no magazine, right.

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Thanks Nobis1,
    The # CIA put on has a Z prefix on mine, but not the original #'s on the right side. This is my first HP, from what I've read any HP mag will work, I'm taking a gun shop run on Tuesday to look for one. Won't fire without a mag but if you take the grips off and depress the plunger behind the trigger while holding the trigger
    and the hammer it will release awkward but it works.
    Rick

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    looks good. just wish century was a bit more descreet with their billboard markings.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    I believe the 1 in the box means fourth quarter 1951. Here is mine 3rd quarter of 1953.

Attachments

• hp 005.JPG
      hp 005.JPG
      29.3 KB · Views: 531
    • hp 004.JPG
      hp 004.JPG
      56.2 KB · Views: 530

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Metalman,
    you were correct got info from another sight and it looks like '51. Thanks again!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes, it will take new mags. I'd highly suggest MecGars. They are now the OEM producer for FN and have been for some years. At least with the 50's Hi Power I owned, the MecGar mag's feed lips seem to hold the round at a slightly higher angle than the military mags of the era, which could allow reliable feeding with hollow points with the bump feed ramp.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Real purty. My Belgian-by-way-of-Israel has no issue with Meg-Gar mags, as Ken 792 says. I bought it probably a year ago, the star stamp is fairly faint and mine had been re-parked and fitted with MK-3 grips. The worn blue on yours is actually pretty cool. My guess is, the "norm" for these is all over the place. If it shoots straight, it's a keeper. All the proof stamps on these are really outstanding.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Magazine safety

Very nice! Received mine too. Finish is surprisingly not bad and the grips are not bad either. It has a load of old grease I would describe as grime. Gonna have to take it down and clean it good.

My serial starts with a Z and the number is in the 33000's. From what I could find, mine should be from the late 40's. Yours should be earlier.

This is my first experience with Hi Powers. I wonder two things. Can new magazines work in this P35? Also, these won't dry fire with no magazine, right.

There are numerous video's on the internet, that will show you how to remove the magazine safety which allows it to fire without a magazine..and dry fire...of course :-) There are those that may scream OH NO>..YOU COULD GET SUED if you ever needed to use it...and that has been said for over 30 years, with NOT 1 situation to view. Someone made a good point years ago, before I removed mine...if it was so bad...and illegal....then, why do factory guns come this way. :D Good luck. You will find the trigger pull gets better also, smoother, slightly lighter. And then add the C & S combat trigger...WOW...nice!!

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I am now on the lookout for magazines. Thanks for the tip on Mecgars. They are what I was looking at prior. Gonna have to visit America though to get the good ones (ie 13 rounders).

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    There are numerous video's on the internet, that will show you how to remove the magazine safety which allows it to fire without a magazine..and dry fire...of course :-)

I have found that if you polish the face of the magazine safety plunger (the part that comes in contact with the mag) and also polish the corresponding area of the front of the mag, that it will greatly improve the feel of the trigger without having to disable the mag safety. Of course you still won't be able to dry fire with the mag out.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks everyone. I am now on the lookout for magazines. Thanks for the tip on Mecgars. They are what I was looking at prior. Gonna have to visit America though to get the good ones (ie 13 rounders).

Shave less than 1/8" off the bottom of the follower and they hold 14 with no problems what-so-ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom