• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stein79

Surf&Turf
    Feb 3, 2011
    Murderland
    FFMike said:
    If your timeline stays similar to mine the letter should show up in another month or so.

Mailed mine Jan 5th, Got the Not-Disapproved email on Feb 23rd and the actual Collector Letter arrived in the mail on March 16th. Ten weeks total for the actual Letter.

Was it just a letter from Cpl. C? No other documents right?

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    COMAR 29.03.01.04 says:

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

I waited 21 days from when my application should have been received. When I e-mailed the corporal here is the response I received:

Unfortunately, due to man power issues there is a delay in processing
    collector applications. Under normal conditions the applications are
    collected for the entire month then processed during the first part of the
    next month. Currently I have not begun to process March applications. I am
    hoping to begin processing March applications this week (there are over 300)
    Check back any time for an update.

Even though this e-mail was received a week ago, I haven't gotten a written notification. I guess it's taking longer to get through the 300+ than anticipated.

The "normal" process is interesting. If an application is received early in the month, by waiting until the beginning of the next month to process the application, they would be in violation of the 14 day written notice requirement in COMAR.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    COMAR 29.03.01.04 says:

I. If the individual is not prohibited by federal or State law from purchasing or possessing a regulated firearm, the notarized application shall be sufficient for a designation as a collector.

J. If the individual is designated by the Secretary to be a collector, the Secretary shall notify the individual in writing within 14 days of receiving the individual's request.

I waited 21 days from when my application should have been received. When I e-mailed the corporal here is the response I received:

Even though this e-mail was received a week ago, I haven't gotten a written notification. I guess it's taking longer to get through the 300+ than anticipated.

The "normal" process is interesting. If an application is received early in the month, by waiting until the beginning of the next month to process the application, they would be in violation of the 14 day written notice requirement in COMAR.
    They are not following COMAR for processing handgun permits either.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    2nd=Good+Substantial said:

You're catching on!

The MSP is not following the law :mad54:

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    COMAR 29.03.01.04 says:

The only thing we can do is forward these examples of MSP not doing their job to your local reps in the state house and senate and the judiciary committee's of each. The more and more complaints they get the better chance we have of getting dumb laws exposed.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I got the email after I inquired as to the status of my application. I was told I was approved and letters would go out as soon as possible.

Two weeks later I recieved my letter designating me as a collector.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    09MAY2012 - Application received at MSP Firearms Registration Section
    29MAY2012 - Email sent to Cpl Cusimano to check status
    31MAY2012 - Email received from Cpl Cusimano stating that he has not started working on May applications and to check back "late in June"

Gotta love it, MD does not have to follow its own laws, but will shaft you as soon as you even think of breaking one of them.:mad54::tdown:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Cpl. Cusimano has been quite responsive in past. I suspect there's a lot of paperwork that's been pushed onto the MSP of late; I bet they'd rather be doing something other than pushing papers around.

The only solutions as I see them are to hire more troopers to shuffle more paper, or to eliminate the paperwork burden that the legislature has dumped onto them, and let them go back to enforcing the law.

Guess which one will cost more tax dollars? Guess which one would be most productive? Guess whether either solution will be adopted?

You guessed it.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Well there are two other possible benefits.
    The transportation of handguns by a "bona fide" collector is allowed, and some collectors have gotten carry permits on the basis they transport their collections.

Is this for real?, and why is everybody not doing it?

So a "Good and Substantial Reason" would be:
    "For safe and secure transportaion by bona fide collector, and personal defense"...???

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unfortunately Novus Collectus no longer is a member here (reason irrelevent). He is not a lawyer and I don't know if what he posted is even close to being accurate. I would think if it were a G & S many more folks would do it. I'm not aware of any.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I didn't mean to imply that a C&R license was the only way to get a collectors designation, it's just the way I would get it since I already have my C&R license.

Why do you keep bringing up the C&R. It has no bearing at all for being a designated collector. You don't need anything except to apply.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The only thing we can do is forward these examples of MSP not doing their job to your local reps in the state house and senate and the judiciary committee's of each. The more and more complaints they get the better chance we have of getting dumb laws exposed.

We would do also do well pushing the governor's office to provide more manpower. Or have the legislature to the same.

Manpower is an issue. The folks I've worked with over there at MSP want the job done, but there are only so many people to handle so many applications.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    How are people getting email notification, there was no field on the application I had to enter an email address.

So how do they know your email to update you all?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think if you send Cpl. Cusimano an email inquiry about the status, he can then send you an email when it's completed prior to your letter being sent. That's what I did. He has no way of knowing your email until you email him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom