• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    Sorry to drag up and old thread but....

Is it OK to FAX this form in? So I fill it out, get it notorized and fax it? On the application it says send via "first class mail". I think this is going to be useful very shortly before some nutjob gets into office.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Is it OK to FAX this form in? So I fill it out, get it notorized and fax it? On the application it says send via "first class mail". I think this is going to be useful very shortly before some nutjob gets into office.
    "Sorry to drag up and old thread but" .......absolutely no reason for an apology, especially not for this thread.

No, I am positive (as a non-lawyer) that it is not allright to fax it in.

m21att1

Nov 19, 2007
    "Sorry to drag up and old thread but" .......absolutely no reason for an apology, especially not for this thread.

No, I am positive (as a non-lawyer) that it is not allright to fax it in.

Thanks! I figured as such, but it was mentioned above that it would be fine to fax it in. I will mail mine. Thanks:thumbsup:

Jim Keenan

Aug 16, 2008
    What is a MD collectors license? AFAIK, there is no such thing, only a letter from the MSP which licenses nothing.

Per the MSP, collector status grants two benefits, exemption from the "one gun a month" law and exemption from filling out a multiple purchase form. There is no direct tie-in between collector status and the term "bona fide collector" under the law on transporting regulated firearms. Nor is there any tie-in between collector status and possession of a federal C&R license.

Now, if one were stopped while transporting all or part of a collection including regulated firearms, having collector status could help show that you are a "bona fide" collector, but there is nothing in the law that says only a holder of a C&R FFL or a person granted collector status can be a "bona fide" collector. Other possible "bona fide collectors" would include members of a collectors' association or club, a person possessing a significant number of collectible firearms, or simply a person possessing a significant number of different firearms. Maybe there is some case law out there on this, but I have not found it.

Jim

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    What is a MD collectors license? AFAIK, there is no such thing, only a letter from the MSP which licenses nothing.

Per the MSP, collector status grants two benefits, exemption from the "one gun a month" law and exemption from filling out a multiple purchase form. There is no direct tie-in between collector status and the term "bona fide collector" under the law on transporting regulated firearms. Nor is there any tie-in between collector status and possession of a federal C&R license.

Now, if one were stopped while transporting all or part of a collection including regulated firearms, having collector status could help show that you are a "bona fide" collector, but there is nothing in the law that says only a holder of a C&R FFL or a person granted collector status can be a "bona fide" collector. Other possible "bona fide collectors" would include members of a collectors' association or club, a person possessing a significant number of collectible firearms, or simply a person possessing a significant number of different firearms. Maybe there is some case law out there on this, but I have not found it.

Jim

What are you talking about? I didn't read anything in regards to what you are saying in your response.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    While completing the paperwork for my FFL purchase at a local shop, the guy told me I should get my collectors license. I found this thread and did the paperwork today.

Here's my question:

Ok, I have an approved collector's license. Now can I transport my gun(s) to say someone's house (with their permission) to "show off" my gun collection? Versus the "you may only drive to and from a range or gun smith blah blah blah"? My assumption is that it doesn't afford me any real additional rights to have my weapon in my car (unloaded and properly stored of curse).

I couldn't find a statute or anything giving full legal descriptions of a collectors license. <-- Actually I just found it...

http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gcr/4-203.html

:excerpt:
    § 4-203.
    (b) This section does not prohibit:
    (5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

That's nice to know I can take one of my collections be it a single handgun or multiple somewhere to show it off. :) Friends have asked be to see some of my collection because they're interested in purchasing their first guns too.

Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    While completing the paperwork for my FFL purchase at a local shop, the guy told me I should get my collectors license. I found this thread and did the paperwork today.

Here's my question:

Ok, I have an approved collector's license. Now can I transport my gun(s) to say someone's house (with their permission) to "show off" my gun collection? Versus the "you may only drive to and from a range or gun smith blah blah blah"? My assumption is that it doesn't afford me any real additional rights to have my weapon in my car (unloaded and properly stored of curse).
    The MD thing is not a license, it is a designation. The fed collector license is a license and they are two different things, but however they both may work for you being considered a collector for handgun transport in MD.

The way you transport is the same as to the range, unloaded in an encloed case or enclosed holster.

The exception for the collector is that maybe, just maybe, if you were going to your firend's house to show him your handgun at 2:00 AM, you would be better to show you were transporting legally. Also, there are other situations it may help, for instance if your boss or manager lets you carry at work, the problem is going from your house to work with a handgun is not allowed except for the owner, so with the collector's designation you might be able to say you were showing off part of your collection to others at work.
    The same with going to a friend's house, if you are not a collector the MD law does not say you can travel to a residence you do not live at unless you are target shooting there, training a dog, etc. But since you are a collector, you are on your way to show off your gun to them and it is possibly covered.

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

I am not a lawyer.

I couldn't find a statute or anything giving full legal descriptions of a collectors license.
    You won't....or not really at least. The statute says the Secretary may make it's own regulations to carry out the statute and the statute allows for multiple purchases for collectors. I think the MDSP took it upon iteslf to creat the "designated collector's status".
    You can find it in the regulations though IIRC. http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    Novus:

You're a wealth of information. I like the whole "show him your handgun at 2AM". :) Thanks for the info. I figure whatever additional protection I can have against some bogus MSP charge when it comes to guns is worth it. I'll apply for every option I can to have as much protection as possible. Plus I'm already looking at my fourth gun and I haven't even got my LCP off the 7 day wait yet! P238 anyone?

mbenz85

MDS Supporter
    Apr 22, 2009
    Harford County
    MD collector

Hey guys

I looked through all six pages of this vast knowledge on here about the MD collector app. I have a question though. If I become a designated collector what happens if I want to sell one of my handguns I collected? Is it allowed? I have not seen any information about this. Thanks!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    As far as I know, there is no problem with selling a firearm. Of course, if you only have one regulated firearm and you sell it, who knows what this silly state would do. Maybe cancel your status?? (not sure if any cancellation policy is noted in the law that set this program up.)

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hey guys

I looked through all six pages of this vast knowledge on here about the MD collector app. I have a question though. If I become a designated collector what happens if I want to sell one of my handguns I collected? Is it allowed? I have not seen any information about this. Thanks!

As long as you sell it according to fed and state law, you are perfectly fine. Your transfer or the regulated firearm to another person is treated the same as if you were a designated collector or not and you must go through either a MD regulated firearms dealer, or through the Maryland State Police barrack when selling to a MD resident, and if selling to a resident of another state you have to go through the FFL in their state....which is the same for non-state-designated-collectors too.

mbenz85

MDS Supporter
    Apr 22, 2009
    Harford County
    Hey thanks guys. I don't plan on selling really any. I want to keep whatever I can get. I just wanted to make sure that you were still allowed to sell. I'm going to apply. Not waiting 30 days in between is pretty sweet.

mrboh138

Mar 12, 2009
    Baltimore
    Do you actually ever get a license/card for the MD collector status, or just the approved letter saying your in the system or something?.....

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I just received my MD collector approval this morning, can't remember if I sent in the paperwork in May or June, I just did it then forgot about it.

One question do I need to tote the letter to the gun store when I go shopping or just check the box on the form?

Now if I only had the money to go shopping.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I just received my MD collector approval this morning, can't remember if I sent in the paperwork in May or June, I just did it then forgot about it.

One question do I need to tote the letter to the gun store when I go shopping or just check the box on the form?

Now if I only had the money to go shopping.

Make Copies, and keep a one or two when you perform your first initial buy(s) from a FFL.
    There are instructions for a FFL not to fillout the form 77M when purchasing two or more firearms. Not all FFLs deal with customers who have a collector's status once the FFL gets used to it, you are good to go.

The MDSP form only has a check block, asking if you are a designated collector.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Hey Novus, was talking to a guy last night that said if you become a "Designated Collector" then you grant the MSP to come and visit (he used the word search and was implying without a warrant) your house whenver they want. I called BS but he insisted this was fact. He said he "knows people." Any idea if this holds water? I still think it's BS.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Hey Novus, was talking to a guy last night that said if you become a "Designated Collector" then you grant the MSP to come and visit (he used the word search and was implying without a warrant) your house whenver they want. I called BS but he insisted this was fact. He said he "knows people." Any idea if this holds water? I still think it's BS.

Nothing in the law that provides for that. Collector status does not entitle them to search... However, establishing probable cause to search, in this day and age, is trivial. Simply call you a suspected terrorist and search all they want... after all once they uncover your arsenal of bolt action mosin nagants and mausers (AKA high powered military rifles and sniper weapons) you'll be vilified to the point of no return. Heaven forbid you own more than one black rifle.

Mark

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    It is BS. Ask him to cite a statute, regulation or court case and when he can't point out that there is no worded consent to search to sign in the designated collector's status form and without consent to search they need a warrant as per the Constitution of the United States and the Maryland Declaration of Rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom