• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I have found the most important part of zeroing in a scope on a .22 rifle is to make sure your mounting is perfect. I mounted a Nikon on to my CZ Saturday using a torque screw driver, a pair of vernier calipers and two levels to make sure there would not be any shift in the scope.
    If the scope is optically centered from the factory then it should hit low and near center on your target at 25 yards using standard velocity ammo. You then just need to bring up the elevation to hit the bulls.
    I have a laser bore thing and it's been retired.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    depends on the type of rifle. Bolt guns and AR's i'll just look through the bore, then make sure the scope matches. lever guns, etc, either start real close or just get a laser.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    what do u guys do to level your scopes?

I used two levels I bought at home depot.

One level that has both horizontal and vertical bubbles on them with a magnetic base. Then I have a circular bubble that goes on the turret.

While keeping the rifle in a perfect plane vertical and horizontal using the bubble level on the receiver I then twist the scope so that the eye of the bubble is dead center on the turret. Then I carefully tighten down the scope just tight enough to prevent the scope from moving while making sure the bubble does not shift.

Using a vernier caliper I will carefully measure the gap between each left and right side and get them to clamp down evenly. I will tighten all of the clamps in small increments and keep measuring. If one side of the clamp is higher then the other I will back off the opposite side and then tighten until everything is even. I will then continue until I reach the desired torque recommendation set by the manufacture.

It's tedious but I think the results are well worth it.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    I used two levels I bought at home depot.

One level that has both horizontal and vertical bubbles on them with a magnetic base. Then I have a circular bubble that goes on the turret.

While keeping the rifle in a perfect plane vertical and horizontal using the bubble level on the receiver I then twist the scope so that the eye of the bubble is dead center on the turret. Then I carefully tighten down the scope just tight enough to prevent the scope from moving while making sure the bubble does not shift.

Using a vernier caliper I will carefully measure the gap between each left and right side and get them to clamp down evenly. I will tighten all of the clamps in small increments and keep measuring. If one side of the clamp is higher then the other I will back off the opposite side and then tighten until everything is even. I will then continue until I reach the desired torque recommendation set by the manufacture.

It's tedious but I think the results are well worth it.

Sounds like a plan...

Where exactly and how do you set up the one level that has both horizontal and vertical bubbles?

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Sounds like a plan...

Where exactly and how do you set up the one level that has both horizontal and vertical bubbles?

The level goes on the flat part of the receiver or rail, it looks like T . Two levels on a small gray plastic housing with a magnet on the bottom.

The idea here is to get the gun to be perfectly centered in both planes. Then when you add the circular bubble on the turret you want that to be a circle in a circle.
    If it's not in a perfect circle then one of your mounts may need to be shimmed a little. I'm a little obsessive and don't know if it's overkill but I cant stand it if anything is just a little off.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    The level goes on the flat part of the receiver or rail, it looks like T . Two levels on a small gray plastic housing with a magnet on the bottom.

The idea here is to get the gun to be perfectly centered in both planes. Then when you add the circular bubble on the turret you want that to be a circle in a circle.
    If it's not in a perfect circle then one of your mounts may need to be shimmed a little.

Ah-ha.. I see now what you mean.

Thanks for the tips!

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Welcome. I highly recommend a screwdriver torque wrench if you can get one if not at the very least get a cheap vernier caliper.

Will do.

I checked the documentation that came with my scope but there wasn't anything indicating the correct torque for tightening the rings... Is there a standard or reccomended value?

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Will do.

I checked the documentation that came with my scope but there wasn't anything indicating the correct torque for tightening the rings... Is there a standard or reccomended value?

It is not the scope that comes with torque values, It's the rings. I would contact the manufacture of the rings you purchased and ask them. I found my values on the facts sections web page for the specific rings I bought.

Torque values can vary based on the material used. My aluminum rings had a value of 35 inch pounds for receiver mounts and 20 inch pounds for the rings.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    It is not the scope that comes with torque values, It's the rings. I would contact the manufacture of the rings you purchased and ask them. I found my values on the facts sections web page for the specific rings I bought.

Torque values can vary based on the material used. My aluminum rings had a value of 35 inch pounds for receiver mounts and 20 inch pounds for the rings.

found it on the Vortex site! - thanks!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The important part of being level is that the scope is level to the world when you fire the rifle.

It makes no difference if the scope is level to the rifle or not. You can cant the rifle 45 degrees, but if the scope is level (horizontal stadia parallel to the actual horizon), the gun will shoot properly.

So what you want is a level that attaches to the scope to check for level when you are ready to fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom