• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    So my last FU O'Malley purchase has finally come home. It's a Springfield M1A from Gunbroker that I transferred through the Gun Shop. I've already popped it into a Fred's Walnut Winchester and had it out to the AGC this morning. I may be minute-of-barn door in my shooting but but by the time I was finished I was able to get a reasonably decent group. I love this rifle. Now all I need to do is find a supply of decent ammo and I'll be set.
    I wish I could say that the target in the picture was shot at a hundred yards but it was actually the target I used at 25 yds to function test the rifle. I tore it down last night completely and thoroughly cleaned and greased it. This morning I first tested it out by loading one round in the magazine and firing it, then two rounds, then three, etc. The extractor didn't disintegrate into a ball of nuclear fire nor did the bolt melt like so much warm butter as some on other forums claim the Springfields are wont to do so I consider it a good purchase.

Attachments

• 20130901_101246.jpg
      20130901_101246.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 267
    • 20130901_094804.jpg
      20130901_094804.jpg
      130.2 KB · Views: 267
    Feb 28, 2013
    25 yards is standard zero distance for open sights on a combat rifle right?

Looks you're hitting a hair high. Nice, tight group though.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    For the m1a test target you want to be high. 30 cal balistics are a little different then the 223.

Here is an example

Scan10002.jpg

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    For the m1a test target you want to be high. 30 cal balistics are a little different then the 223.

Here is an example

That's what I had read. I'm really about 3/4" low. Now that I know it's functioning properly I'll take the time to zero it an calibrate the rear sight properly the next time I go to the range.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Looks great. I was thinking of getting an "excellent" stock from Fred, but yours looks really good.

Did you get one of the flash hiders from Keepshooting?

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Love the stock.
    I shot mine at 300Y for the first time today. I wish I could say that I had a pretty target to share. Shooting at a 10in steel plate. My brother was spotting and I was getting as close as you could get without actually hitting. DAMN YOU STEEL PLATE!!! (shaking his tiny fists at the heavens)

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    That is a sweet looking rifle.My question is how long did you wait for Fred's to ship your stock?Even given the warning in SGN I have heard of shipping times ranging from around a week to three years and no longer counting.Personally not in a big hurry but I gambled and placed an order.Patiently waiting on a Big Red Birch and 3-4 handguards.If they don't take forever might order a Walnut too.Other than the shipping times I have heard great reviews of the actual product.

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    Looks great. I was thinking of getting an "excellent" stock from Fred, but yours looks really good.

Did you get one of the flash hiders from Keepshooting?

The flash hider came from Brownells but I'm pretty sure it's a Springfield (not USGI) part.

My stock was the Select plus from Fred's. On the M14 forum people have some pictures of some really pretty "excellent" stocks they've gotten. The other day someone posted a picture of the most beautiful piece of walnut I've ever seen. It's 50 years old in absolutely spotless condition and has magnificent tiger striping. If you're willing to take the gamble you can really get some neat stuff from Fred's. Below is a picture of one of his "Vietnam specials" I got the other day. I don't plan to touch a thing on it. It looks just great in person.

Attachments

• assorted 040.jpg
      assorted 040.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 170

Shane762

Jan 2, 2011
    New Market, MD
    That is a sweet looking rifle.My question is how long did you wait for Fred's to ship your stock?Even given the warning in SGN I have heard of shipping times ranging from around a week to three years and no longer counting.Personally not in a big hurry but I gambled and placed an order.Patiently waiting on a Big Red Birch and 3-4 handguards.If they don't take forever might order a Walnut too.Other than the shipping times I have heard great reviews of the actual product.

The first time I ordered from Fred's was back in March. It took three months, many emails and finally a few phone calls but I finally got my stuff in early July. It took a long time but everything I received was better than expected. My second order was placed on a Saturday night and I had it in hand the following Friday. Although I won't say that their dodgy customer service has completely gone away, it does seem as though they've had a noticeable improvement. If you haven't heard anything about yours in two or three weeks I'd call them. I called on a Wednesday afternoon regarding my first order and had it the following Wednesday.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Man.........I want a M1A1 and a Steyr AUG before Oct 1, but........not sure I can get them. Actually, it doesn't look like I will. BUT.....I may just buy the receiver or if I can swing it, a barreled action from Fulton armory. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom