• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I think it depends on whether you prefer old school or modern modular rifles. I like both. Both will serve you well. AR-10 is not banned, so jump on the M1A now if you want one. Time is running short.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    While I personally enjoy both rifles, I would suggest the M1A, for the same reasons Boom Boom stated above. You can always pick up an AR-10 down the line.

I have another batch of standard M1As inbound. If you are interested, drop by and I'd be happy to let you check one out.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    Have any Socoms coming in?

Negative, not this week. I have 8 standard M1As w synthetic stocks on the way. More Scout Squads and hopefully Socoms will come along shortly, maybe two weeks out. I can't seem to get the damn things out of the box without someone buying them immediately.

ews25

Apr 21, 2013
    People's Republic of PG
    Negative, not this week. I have 8 standard M1As w synthetic stocks on the way. More Scout Squads and hopefully Socoms will come along shortly, maybe two weeks out. I can't seem to get the damn things out of the box without someone buying them immediately.

I have a loaded but I'm looking to pick up a Socom as well. Kind of a Mutt 'n Jeff set. I'd appreciate a followup post if you get one or more in. I'm out in Montana right now and I haven't seen one here or in north Idaho either. Crazy.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    While I personally enjoy both rifles, I would suggest the M1A, for the same reasons Boom Boom stated above. You can always pick up an AR-10 down the line.

I have another batch of standard M1As inbound. If you are interested, drop by and I'd be happy to let you check one out.

Thanks, Sparks is not that far from me.

I thought about the fact that the AR10 isn't going to be banned just after I hit the send button, so I don't even have to worry about that.

I've wanted an M14 since I was a kid. I better get moving!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    What would be the better rifle for modern times

AR10 is undoubtedly a more modern rifle. Easier to shoot too (WAY less recoil). But not banned, so like everyone else said, get the M1A now.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Recoil ?

AR10 is undoubtedly a more modern rifle. Easier to shoot too (WAY less recoil). But not banned, so like everyone else said, get the M1A now.

I have not shot an M1A for over 25yrs, and have NEVER shot a AR10. Is there really that big of a difference in the recoil between the 2..?

Thanks for any info.:thumbsup:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Is there really that big of a difference in the recoil between the 2..?

Yes. I have both now. Got the new M1A out for the first time about a month ago and shot them back-to-back. Night and day. I put the M1A away after 2 mags (already bruised) and pulled out the AR. Can shoot that one all day.

Now some of that will be the configuration obviously. Mega Maten is 6.30kg w/ 24" heavy barrel, JP brake, scope, and bipod. The M1A is a loaded walnut bare @ 4.50kg measured. The AR scope and mount are around 1/2kg, so 'bare' it would still be about a kg more (2.2 lbs) than the M1A. I've shot it w/o the brake and not a huge difference there. But its still in a heavier config so not completely apples to apples. But is has a SO much softer recoil impulse (Im running a heavy rifle buffer too.)

Edit: But you still want to buy the M1A first;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom