• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    So here are a few pics from my Remington R1 1911.

You can see the frame feed ramps. Is this normal?

Just wondering if they could use some polishing, but I don't want to mess anything up. Suggestions?

2801285.jpg

k16s9e.jpg

Joel_MD

humble patriot
    Dec 3, 2010
    Edgewater, MD
    A lot of guys think the feed ramp needs to be mirror polished, but even a ramp with lots of tooling marks is unlikely to cause any reliability issues. However, getting overzealous with a Dremel and changing the angle or radius of the feed ramp will affect reliability, but not in the direction you want. I suggest you do nothing more than rubbing with some fine sandpaper over your pinky finger. If you have a gunsmith polish the feed ramp, make sure they know what they're doing. Ham-handed gunsmiths have ruined a lot of 1911-style pistols over the years by improperly polishing feed ramps that didn't really need attention in the first place.

Looking at the frame just below the ramp, is it as rough as it looks in the picture? I'm accustomed to forged frame Colts that don't show any casting marks. However, I have a buddy who bought a R1 about 18 months ago and he really loves it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Consult a good 1911 gunsmith if you don't know exactly what you're doing in regards to polishing. If you try it yourself and angle the surface incorrectly, you could make it unreliable or into a coaster.

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    Looking at the frame just below the ramp, is it as rough as it looks in the picture? I'm accustomed to forged frame Colts that don't show any casting marks. However, I have a buddy who bought a R1 about 18 months ago and he really loves it.

yes that area is somewhat rough. i love my r1 though and have not had any problems w/ it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Consult a good 1911 gunsmith if you don't know exactly what you're doing in regards to polishing. If you try it yourself and angle the surface incorrectly, you could make it unreliable or into a coaster.

:innocent0
    chat_drink_coaster_set.jpg

sorry.. just had to.. ;)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    1. It does look 'rough' to me.
    2. IF it feeds correctly/properly, with ZERO failures to feed, leave it alone.
    3. IF you are having problems, I would consult with a reputable gunsmith. (I've seen guys that 'say' they are a gunsmith, ruin a nice 1911!)
    4. You can run about 1,000 ± fmj through the pistol, and it will smooth the ramp, somewhat.

Lastly. . . . "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom