Sending to Glock for Warranty on Cracked Frame. How painful will this be?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    I just noticed my that my very new Glock 19 gen4 has a crack in the frame. Aside from being generally pissed off, I'm also concerned about the process of getting it replaced. I read that because I live in Maryland they can only send it back to an FFL.Their website says warranty repairs take 6 to 8 weeks.

Their website says it takes 6 to 8 weeks. I really really hope that's not right. Does anyone anyone have experience getting their Glock back sooner for frame replacement?

Also, when they replace the frame will it come back with the same serial number? If not, what does that mean for me?

Thanks all. I hope you have good news for me.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    The crack is on the inside of the frame right next to the SN. It looks like it will get bigger if ignored.

Does this mean that I have to do a background check again and it will take even longer?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Glocks are cute lil plastic guns, much more suitable for airsoft battles.

Glock21FrameCloseUp_640x480.gif

In all seriousness, the shipping is gonna kill you unless you get glock to pick up that charge. Your looking at about $50+ to ship it. ups/fedex will only send it overnight.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The crack is on the inside of the frame right next to the SN. It looks like it will get bigger if ignored.

Does this mean that I have to do a background check again and it will take even longer?

Did you buy the gun at a FFL or have it just transferred by a FFL? MSP has a protocol for this, read it here once but forget what it is.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    From the ATF Licensee Quick Reference and Best Practices Guide that I just received a month or so ago...."You are not required to conduct a NICS or State background check for the following:" (I'm leaving out the sections that don't apply to your situation.)

Number 3. The return of a repaired firearm to the person from whom it was received.

Number 5. The transfer of a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom a firearm was received.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Glocks are cute lil plastic guns, much more suitable for airsoft battles.

Glock21FrameCloseUp_640x480.gif

In all seriousness, the shipping is gonna kill you unless you get glock to pick up that charge. Your looking at about $50+ to ship it. ups/fedex will only send it overnight.
    Is that a pic of your Glock? How long did it take to get it replaced?

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    When i did a warranty on my S&W 610. Smith emailed me a fedex call tag. I packed it inthe original hard box, packed it a cardboard box with the tag on it and dropped it off at the hub. 2 weeks later it was back at my house, just needed a signigture.

I pretty sure glock can get you a new rec. w/the same sn# just takes a little longer for them to put it into the system and have one made.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Glock will do you right, unfortunately there's no fix for the frame if it is cracked. They will usually replace it with a new gun with a new serial number, which is why it has to return through an FFL.

While neither MD or fed law requires you to send a handgun in for work via an FFL, my experience has been that some manufacturers will request it because of our additional layer of state regulations. They simply can't be bothered with the liability to read up and comply so they put the responsibility on you, and your FFL.

However you should not have to fill out paperwork a second time if a new gun is shipped back to you... just make sure the FFL you use to send it back agrees. This is one of those areas where not all FFLs are created equal and you want to work with one who understands the law and is willing to be a 2A advocate and charge you only a nominal fee for being the middleman. Maryland complicates things but if you passed a 4473 once, it should not be required a second time

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Any chance we could see a picture of the crack? How many rds on your gun?

Thanks!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    IF the frame is cracked, Glock will 'make it right'.
    They MAY replace the pistol with the same serial number, but, that number will have a -1 or 1, at the end of the number sequence.
    If memory serves me, they won't be allowed to replace the frame with the same serial number. I THINK BATFE dictates that.

IF Glock does that, it will take from 8 to 10 weeks to do.

Glock MAY just replace the pistol with another new pistol, with a totally different serial number.
    I would choose this option, if you are given a choice.

Please post a pic of the pistol and close-up of the crack. (Obscure the serial number if you can.)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    No way does it have too be shipped to a FFL!

I have FEDex'd my G17 & G19 with the call tag from Glock via FEDex. I took the glock in their original container and FEDex packed it. When they were fixed Glock shipped them directly to my house.

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    Sent back a used Glock21SF w/ defective mag release early this year. After 3 weeks, they sent me a brand new Glock as replacement- directly to me at home, and I am not a FFL holder either.

Note: this is a "complete firearm " w/ new serial number not just replacement parts or lower.

Last edited:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, but did you guys need an entire replacement firearm?

I think the FFL is needed when they replace the entire firearm, new serial number. This aint a simple part swap, or something simple. He needs an entire new gun, basically.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Here's the pic. It's a hairline fracture now, but it can crack the whole thing with a single shot.

(I took a bunch of pics. This was the best I could get.)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      60.4 KB · Views: 2,284

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads