Why police shouldn't use Glocks (LA Times article)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Flame away... hahah

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-owens-glock-accidents-20150508-story.html

Timothy Stansbury died in a New York housing project stairwell in 2004 because he startled a police officer. The officer's surprise at encountering Stansbury caused the officer's hand to clench and his weapon to fire. The death was ruled accidental by a grand jury, though the officer was later stripped of his gun for the remainder of his career.

Akai Gurley died in another New York housing project stairwell last fall. A rookie officer with his finger on the trigger of his pistol tensed as he pushed open a stuck door; the added pressure on the trigger caused his weapon to fire a shot down the stairwell. The round ricocheted off the wall to strike Gurley. Though the shot wasn't intentional and the officer didn't even know Gurley was there, the death has been ruled a criminal homicide, and the officer's trial is pending.

In both of these incidents, the police officers were using the same weapon, a Glock: a polymer-frame, striker-fired pistol with a short trigger pull and no external safeties....

Glock uses the marketing term “Safe Action” to describe its firing-pin system, but the truth is that Glocks are accident-prone. They contributed to more than 120 accidental discharges in the Washington Metropolitan Police Department from 1988 to 1998. Anecdotes of increased accidental shootings have followed the pistol for more than 30 years wherever it has been adopted by police officers and citizens alike.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So they use stats that are over 30 years old from a time the weapon was first adopted......that tells me right there no need to read because the research is like the training old.

I can present anything as fact

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    Even TV shows show the proper way to hold a gun...finger off the trigger until target is acquired, identified, and verified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    So they use stats that are over 30 years old from a time the weapon was first adopted......that tells me right there no need to read because the research is like the training old.

I can present anything as fact

Well, the three high-profile cases cited in the article, from the top, were last month, 2014 and 2004. The one quote I posted was older, yes. My bad.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    So, an external safety is better? I think these cops would have already had the safety off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've pointed my glocks at tons of things and they've only gone boom at the range. Maybe they are broken.

Come to think of it so is my 870 since it didn't blast that pitbull the other day.

KPSpeller

Aug 28, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    I like the Glock safety, but it is not idiot proof. We are all idiots at some point.
    Pro - It positively will not go off if dropped.
    Con - I have a 25 year Law Enforcement college who shot the tip off his offhand index finger while holstering his Glock with his trigger finger in the trigger guard.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The writer needs to pull his head from his @ss. External safeties have issues too, wether it's training, getting deactivated from movement, or just mechanically failing. Some people get shot because they can't, under stress turn off the safety.

If you haven't seen a gun fire from a busted part failing then you have not shot enough. All machines break and sometimes it can be fatal.

Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and accidents will just poke holes in non living things and make your ears ring. Nothing more.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've pointed my glocks at tons of things and they've only gone boom at the range. Maybe they are broken.

Come to think of it so is my 870 since it didn't blast that pitbull the other day.

That's because you work in DC and are not affected by the weird gravitational anomalies in PG that cause firearms to discharge in the direction of non police canines.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom