• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    I like these.

m71w-a-400.jpg

vm62_20_2_500.jpg

windyhill

Mar 24, 2011
    Cool. I picked up a sweet new M76 back in the late 80's when I was in the Navy. Sold it later for like 3-400 bucks for some beer money. :banghead:

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    You guy are several decades too late. Biggest problem with Valmets other than the 7.62X39 was/is finding magazines. They are very expensive.

Good luck

Jerry

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I liked the Galil but found it very heavy, especially for a 5.56 gun. The rear peep sights are a huge improvement over a regular Kalashnikov, however.

The Valmet is on the list of guns I'd like but will probably never own... something else always comes first.

Feb 28, 2013
    You guy are several decades too late. Biggest problem with Valmets other than the 7.62X39 was/is finding magazines. They are very expensive.

Good luck

Jerry

Looks like the 5.56 version would take Galil mags. I assume it doesn't?

I liked the Galil but found it very heavy, especially for a 5.56 gun. The rear peep sights are a huge improvement over a regular Kalashnikov, however.

The Valmet is on the list of guns I'd like but will probably never own... something else always comes first.

They'd have to come up with a semi-auto model to export other than the M-76 or M-78. Those are on the banned list, even though I don't think I've ever seen one in person. Since I came on board here at MDS I've seen a grand total of three 5.56 Galils at gunshows, one 7.62 NATO version at A1 Uniforms, and zero Valmets.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    lovely rifles. however...
    ...Valmet magazines are the secret curse of Valmets. good lord.

They'd have to come up with a semi-auto model to export other than the M-76 or M-78. Those are on the banned list, even though I don't think I've ever seen one in person. Since I came on board here at MDS I've seen a grand total of three 5.56 Galils at gunshows, one 7.62 NATO version at A1 Uniforms, and zero Valmets.
    i think (unless i am misremembering the shop) that when i transferred my M76 through A1, the reaction was, "well, now i've actually seen one of these rifles in the flesh."

i believe i've seen one other in MD, although there HAVE to be a fair number of them floating around the state, right?

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD

Yeah, I have the same reaction, why are the galils so damned heavy?

They shouldn't be any heavier than an AK, but they sure as hell feel a lot more dense

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Galils use a milled receiver, use steel mags, and have a relatively heavy stock. This adds some weight to them.

The Galil ACE, OTOH, has a partially-plastic receiver, can use aluminum/plastic mags, and has a plastic stock... which shaves ~2.5lbs off it.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    There is a forum member who has a registered full auto 7.62x39 Valmet... I was lucky enough to shoot it once. It's a damned smooth action. Feels like a sewing machine next to an AK. Just Awesome. I'll let him come forward, if he chooses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom