Third, final, pre production water cooled Ruger 10/22 prototype.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Question... how many rounds of .22LR do you have to shoot, before water cooling becomes necessary?

I can just imagine using this against an invading army of thousands of squirrels, laughing insanely "Greaseman"-style... :D

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    Question... how many rounds of .22LR do you have to shoot, before water cooling becomes necessary?

I can just imagine using this against an invading army of thousands of squirrels, laughing insanely "Greaseman"-style... :D

Sorry to take so long (years Lol) to answer your question. I've been tied up in many other projects. You asked: "How many rounds of .22LR do you have to shoot, before water cooling becomes necessary?"

That depends on how fast you are firing. If you aren't firing very fast, which gives the barrel more time to cool between shots, then water cooling isn't necessary. However, if you fire say 100 or more rounds very rapidly at say a cyclic rate of 600 or more, then water cooling would help to not only prevent damage to the barrel, but also to stop any lead from melting and lining up the rifling's lands and grooves. So two or three 50 round magazines will start to get your barrel VERY hot if you are firing at a high cyclic rate. As long as water is maintained in the water jacket, a gun can be literally fired rapidly non stop for hours. Maxim proved this and so did the Vickers gun (which is just an inverted lock Maxim) in WW1 where many of them were set up to area spray an area they wanted to deny access to the Boche. They had a whole battalion of ammo and water bearers for the Vickers gunners. What was amazing was that in all the hours they fired all those many Vickers guns non stop, there was not one failure with any of the Vickers guns. A feat unmatched in combat to this day. It truly was the greatest water cooled gun in history and was used by the Brits up until the 1980's.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    I was going to put my name in and then realized I'd need a 2nd job to pay for all the .22 ammo I'd blow through. Not sure how Elk Neck would feel about me setting up a 35° field of fire, either. :)

Sweet kit, I hope to see more video!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    They REALLY could've used one of these, in the "Walking Dead" final episode of season 2.

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    It's been a while since I last posted about my crank fire creations, so here's an update on my latest 3rd prototype that is convertible between being water cooled or air cooled in under a minute and showing it firing at the range. I used to use Webshots to upload my photos and videos to. But when they closed down, all the pictures and videos I had linked to there in my online posts, disappeared. I still have my pics and videos on my computer and saved to disks, but they disappeared in all my online posts since they were all linked to Webshots. Now I use Photobucket as well as YouTube.

Here's a video I just finished creating showing the evolution of my crank fire dress up kit prototypes versions 1 through 3. The first one is air cooled only. The second one is (truly) water cooled only. But my third prototype is convertible in under a minute to be either air cooled or (truly) water cooled (no fake water jackets here). I learned a lot making the first two, and my 3rd prototype incorporates new design changes that I learned from making the earlier ones. In my video you will see my latest 3rd prototype firing at the range using the new GSG 110 rd drum mag and it's really spitting out the rounds. Hope you enjoy it. Bill
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJi6rvNwIs&feature=youtu.be

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    I have run my Marlin 795 ragged. It's a great little gun... I only clean it every several hundred rounds, when the mags start coming out filthy. Maybe you got a lemon?

Bill, that one seriously cool bit of kit!

Thanks Rob-cubed. Glad you liked the video.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Totally stumbled on this thread and man this is cool. Doesn't seem like Bill is around anymore.

Too bad, I'd like to read more "shooters" threads like this. Not that Don't enjoy the occasional liberal bashing or "grilled cheese with butter or Mayo poll" but there are plenty of sourced for those.

Now I'm wondering if I could make one of these myself. Maybe a double barrel gear driven crank model or a hand crank semi auto shotgun!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Totally stumbled on this thread and man this is cool. Doesn't seem like Bill is around anymore.

Too bad, I'd like to read more "shooters" threads like this. Not that Don't enjoy the occasional liberal bashing or "grilled cheese with butter or Mayo poll" but there are plenty of sourced for those.

Now I'm wondering if I could make one of these myself. Maybe a double barrel gear driven crank model or a hand crank semi auto shotgun!

Seems to have dropped off. I followed this back in 09 and lost track. That's a cool set-up, would have preferred a belt-fed since no one has really made a decent .22 reliable beltfed (yes I know about the razorback have one.......nice looking but meh........never reliable). Love to have one with a crank to go with my 1919.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom