• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Well, the concern I raised a few months ago just came to pass. Specifically, the auction house in Maine, which I must say has been as professional as can be since day 1 of my interaction with them, just refused to ship the 12-round magazine with my Swiss Model 1889. Thankfully, they were more than happy to ship it to an out of state address. I anticipated this and spent a good amount of time last week going through MD law to try to find why a 12-rd mag for an antique is not covered by the high cap mag prohibition, and it isn't there. It is illegal to ship or receive a "magazine" capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammo for a "firearm". The defined term "firearm" found in the introductory article of MD law is broad and does NOT exclude an "antique firearm". There are certain sections of MD law that say that "for purposes of THIS section, the term firearm does not include an antique firearm" but those are not sections of general application. Like I said, I spent a few hours trying to find the hole, and I concluded that it doesn't exist - I do believe that "high cap" mags for any gun are illegal to receive.

It's nice to know that I can't be held criminally responsible for leaving my antique Argentine Mauser Model 1891 full of ammo and accessible to my son (because that law says that firearm doesn't include an antique), but I can't import a 12 round magazine for ammo that no one makes anymore.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That sucks, and its a done deal but Does MD law refer to the Federal definition of a firearm?

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    And your u think the MD General Assy will care? Hate to say it, but that could really open the door for them to screw with the correct C&R exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    And your u think the MD General Assy will care? Hate to say it, but that could really open the door for them to screw with the correct C&R exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to be offensive/disrespectful but you need to understand how the GA works. This can be worked in the right way without upsetting any boats. And, to be honest, it's because people are irrationally scared about bringing collectors into the light that oversights like this happen, and we need to start standing up for our hobby. If we are lucky, we can get this to cover all C&R.

Last edited:

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Not trying to be offensive/disrespectful but you need to understand how the GA works. This can be worked in the right way without upsetting any boats. And, to be honest, it's because people are irrationally scared about bringing collectors into the light that oversights like this happen, and we need to start standing up for our hobby. If we are lucky, we can get this to cover all C&R.

Point taken, but, in general, I have to agree with dgapilot. Further, from what I've seen, one or two reasonable legislatures does not guarantee a similarly reasonable majority vote.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked up this Yugo M24/52C from Lou at Shooter's Discount yesterday as a birthday present to myself.

This one is pretty interesting as its got a German modified Czech VZ.24 stock, shown by the German added stock washer and the deleted and filled side swivel. Waffenampts are visible on some small parts and the stock.

Spent 3 hours cleaning all of the cosmoline out of it.

Bore is pristine and it should make an excellent shooter.

Attachments

• DSCN3838.jpg
      DSCN3838.jpg
      80 KB · Views: 326
    • DSCN3868.jpg
      DSCN3868.jpg
      70 KB · Views: 289
    • DSCN3891.jpg
      DSCN3891.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 326
    • DSCN3876.jpg
      DSCN3876.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 239

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    This one has been on my list for a long time. I stumbled across it today, thought it looked really good, and took it home. Not cheap, but I think this one's a nice example. Serial numbers match on everything but the mag (no numbers--think it's after market) and are in the correct range. Finish seems to be original and just about 100% with a small amount of light freckling. German WA proof seems to be correct, if not all that clear. Grips are excellent. No import, of course. No paperwork that this was a WWII (or occupation) bring-back, but what else is likely? The whole thing needs a good cleaning, though.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• aaa_Left2.jpg
      aaa_Left2.jpg
      84.3 KB · Views: 239
    • aaa_Proof.jpg
      aaa_Proof.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 169
    • aaa_WA_2.jpg
      aaa_WA_2.jpg
      96.7 KB · Views: 254
    • IMG_1293.jpg
      IMG_1293.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 240
    Jul 1, 2012
    It's "bonafide" - and looks pretty darn good.
    The finish was almost matte on these, except the early ones.
    The magazines were not numbered when issued, the mags that are numbered were done post-war by the German police.
    If it has the Astra logo on the tab it's original but no way to know if it's THE original.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It's "bonafide" - and looks pretty darn good.
    The finish was almost matte on these, except the early ones.
    The magazines were not numbered when issued, the mags that are numbered were done post-war by the German police.
    If it has the Astra logo on the tab it's original but no way to know if it's THE original.

No Astra logo, unfortunately, but they can be found. I'll see if the right one turns up ... and a correct holster. I can live with the re-pop mag for now.

Jul 1, 2012
    No Astra logo, unfortunately, but they can be found. I'll see if the right one turns up ... and a correct holster. I can live with the re-pop mag for now.

I may have a correct spare mag laying around, I'll check.
    But as you say they are pretty thick on the ground at around $60 or so.
    There's a guy on eBay that had a huge crate of them.

The correct holster will be VERY hard to find (DKK/44) and will be expensive.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Smith Corona 03A3

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
      IMG_0695.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 319
    • IMG_0697.jpg
      IMG_0697.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 393