• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

(Sorry for the late post - been busy)
    Last sat my son and I went out to our favorite range (in the bay area). A few days before my son asked me if it would be OK to bring his friend, who never-ever ever shot a firearm (FYI - both are over 21).

Of course I said yes-any chance to take a non-shooter out, I'll do it.
    BTW-we set up at the 100 yard bottle and tin can range-(plastic bottles only) it's more satisfying when something blows up! :thumbsup:

I started him with a .22 rifle and once he got comfortable, I moved him on to the center-fire rifles. I was surprised how quickly he learned the basics and get very comfortable after awhile. Besides the .22 he shot an 06, .303 plus he shot a muzzle loading rifle!

My son told me the next day that was best Saturday's he ever had!

I must say - I was very happy to hear that! :D

I just wish it had been a bit warmer, it was one cold and cloudy day! :rolleyes:

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    That is something we should all strive to do in the next few years. If every member turned even 5 more people on to the pleasure of using their 2nd amendment rights we could really have a grassroots movement. The reasons that I teach the HQL class for free is to help promote more active shooters and to make it cheaper for active shooter to acquire more. Great Job. Now get your son's friend to bring another friend next time. I've taught dozens of my friends wives because we all know it is tough to teach your own wife.

DennisCA

Wait, cold and cloudy in CA?

A blustery 62 degrees!?

A bit cooler than that - prob in the 40's, hardly any sun and damn damp.
    (I know that that's summer-time temps for some but that's cool for the bay area in ca!)

BTW - we ended the day with eating some Chick-fil-A (finally got some of them in the bay area!)
    and after that we had some cigars!

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Kudos! It's spreading the love of gun ownership that will win us the war against 2A. The more people we turn on, the stronger our side becomes.

I feel like a hippie... must be those bay area vibes.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    (Sorry for the late post - been busy)
    Last sat my son and I went out to our favorite range (in the bay area). A few days before my son asked me if it would be OK to bring his friend, who never-ever ever shot a firearm (FYI - both are over 21).

Of course I said yes-any chance to take a non-shooter out, I'll do it.
    BTW-we set up at the 100 yard bottle and tin can range-(plastic bottles only) it's more satisfying when something blows up! :thumbsup:

I started him with a .22 rifle and once he got comfortable, I moved him on to the center-fire rifles. I was surprised how quickly he learned the basics and get very comfortable after awhile. Besides the .22 he shot an 06, .303 plus he shot a muzzle loading rifle!

My son told me the next day that was best Saturday's he ever had!

I must say - I was very happy to hear that! :D

I just wish it had been a bit warmer, it was one cold and cloudy day! :rolleyes:

You'll have to stop calling him a non-shooter and start calling him a new-shooter!
    :thumbsup:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    good on the OP!!

a friend invited me over to his house a while back and asked me to bring a few guns for some his friends (and their wives/GF's) most who had never shot before. I of course went over safety stuff first but everyone had an absolute blast (pun intended). it really is fun to knock over cans, blow stuff up, hit moving targets and the like.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I LOVE stories like that! I always try to get new shooters to the range. Most are amazed how much fun they have. I agree it is something every shooting enthusiast should strive to do. Be a shooter evangelist.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Great news. It's always been one of my favorite activities to do as well. Glad to hear it. Now make sure he continues to go out and shoot.

Jim Smith

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Great news. It's always been one of my favorite activities to do as well. Glad to hear it. Now make sure he continues to go out and shoot.

Jim Smith
    Plus it's a great excuse to buy a new .22 rifle. (At least that's what I told myself recently.)

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    If we take four people to the range, we'll likely create three gun nuts! At the end of the day, it's fun. The grabbers know it...that's why they try to shut it down with hurdles to ownership....knowing full well criminals don't follow any of the rules.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Over the years, I've taken more than 40 non-shooting folks to the range. I have not had anyone tell me they didn't have a good time. My son's brother in law is married to true anti gun person (ortho doctor), but for my son's bachelor's party, we went to an indoor range. This guy took to shooting, like a duck to water. Within a month, he had bought his first handgun and now owns a few rifles too. The anti gun wife has learned to live with it and he says he's sure she will make it out to the range with him sometime soon.

There is hope for all of them.
    Jim Smith

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I've never met a person yet who, when taught how to shoot, doesn't love it.
    I teach a basic shotgun course at LR, and I get many women newbies. Once they learn not to be afraid of the recoil and how to hold the gun, they love to see the clays break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom