• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keoseven

Relocated Texan
    Apr 29, 2015
    Howdy y'all! Keoseven here. I'm a new member who just joined the boards today.

I have -- very unfortunately -- relocated from the great state of Texas to the suburbs of Maryland. I wanted to ask everyone here some questions regarding the legality of my collection because I understand from conversations with various individuals that one needs a 795-day permit process to own a butter knife (read: culinary assault blade) in this state.

My apologies in advance if this post is redundant and answered more thoroughly in a previous discussion, but I have been unable to find any clear cut information on two of my guns in particular.

The two guns in question are my Remington R-25 (DPMS LR-308 with a camo paintjob) and my Benelli Supernova Tactical (Pistol Grip with fixed stock). Also, my magazine capacity for the R-25 ranges from 5 rounds to "Goddamn, Bo!"

Are these two particular guns permissible to possess in this state? If no, then this was just a hypothetical exercise. :innocent0

Please advise. Much obliged!

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Welcome, MD can use more citizens who expect the Bill of Rights should apply in all states.
    The guns you mention are good, so are all your evil mags, you just can't sell them in MD or buy them and have them shipped to MD.

Theoretically if you owned handguns you would have to register them https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

If you purchased any AK's or AR-15's rifles (non -Hbar) after October 2013 they are banned. Unless they are pistols.

After that, any application of logic in understanding MD gun laws is a waste of time. If you are pro gun or anti gun, the laws or the interpretation of the laws make no sense and are highly arbitrary.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Welcome Keoseven to the MD Forums, where in Texas are you from/live ?.

I'm from the hill county north of Austin, Maryland has its issues but there are a lot of good people here take the time to meet them and see the sights there are many. The firearm restrictions and the left wing politics are the biggest issues I've ran into, but I have meet some great people even some of them are what we called Yankees in Texas, The ones who visited Texas and didn't stay.:lol2:

Sorry I forgot the biggest issue in Maryland. its something most Texans just can't understand, its this Damm thing they call STATE INCOME TAX still not sure what it is but they keep stealing more and more from you every year :mad54:

Come out to Delmarva Sporting Clays and Rifle Range: 23501 Marsh Rd, Mardela Springs, MD 21837 this Sat the 2nd of May we're having an all day shoot and meet some of the members of MDSHOOTERS its a good time!:party29:

Last edited:

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Howdy y'all! Keoseven here. I'm a new member who just joined the boards today.

I have -- very unfortunately -- relocated from the great state of Texas to the suburbs of Maryland. I wanted to ask everyone here some questions regarding the legality of my collection because I understand from conversations with various individuals that one needs a 795-day permit process to own a butter knife (read: culinary assault blade) in this state.

My apologies in advance if this post is redundant and answered more thoroughly in a previous discussion, but I have been unable to find any clear cut information on two of my guns in particular.

The two guns in question are my Remington R-25 (DPMS LR-308 with a camo paintjob) and my Benelli Supernova Tactical (Pistol Grip with fixed stock). Also, my magazine capacity for the R-25 ranges from 5 rounds to "Goddamn, Bo!"

Are these two particular guns permissible to possess in this state? If no, then this was just a hypothetical exercise. :innocent0

Please advise. Much obliged!

As a Maryland native, I resent the bolded part above - we can so own butter knives without permit - we just can't use them to spread butter.

(Joking, but that statement has more logic in it than Maryland gun laws)

Welcome to Maryland. America in Minature, from the Atlantic to the mountains.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    My condolences on your bad luck. Welcome to the forum. I recently(2 years) escaped Maryland for Arizona. No chance i'd ever go back. "They'll never take me alive" may have crossed my lips once or twice.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Welcome!

And I concur with BigDaddy; you should be fine moving them into Maryland. And there's no registration for those; if those are your most questionable firearms, you'll have no problems. Just be sure to transport them into the state unloaded, and pistols must be in an enclosed case or holster. You're Texas CCW permit is no good here; so better if you not even mention it or the guns you may or may not be transporting to your new residence; if you are pulled over for any reason. A few folks have been put into a jam for declaring they were lawfully armed (CCW permits from Virginia); took them some time and money, whereas just keeping quiet would have been better.

Do read up on the law, so you know for yourself what's what - sounds like you're already doing that.

Lastly, please go here and introduce yourself: http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

You can copy/paste from your original post here if you like; but you should put it there; were friendly, but orderly.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    welcome to the PRoM..Peoples Republic of Maryland. please surrender your firearms and freedoms at the borders! expect high taxes and high cost of living and expect to surrender the right to defend yourself.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Welcome my brother moved from MD to TX and won't be coming back.

Here are a few things to help you get adjusted.

This thread summarizes the changes to MD gun laws made in 2013
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585&highlight=281

Please consider joining Maryland Shall Issue, fighting for our rights.
    https://marylandshallissue.com/

If you are in the middle of the state the go to gun range is Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, it is a range complex shared by a number of gun clubs.
    http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/

Standard capacity magazines, over 10 rounds, are legal to possess you just can't buy or sell them within the state. But if you happen to be in VA, PA, DE or any other part of America you can buy any size magazine you want and bring it back when you return.
    Pay attention to Maryland's transport laws they are fairly restrictive. Unless you are politically connected or a very special case forget about getting a carry permit until we get the law changed. The HQL permit (lots of threads to read) is only permission to purchase a handgun you will still need to go through the background check and waiting period and only one every 30 days (unless you are a designated collector). Also it has nothing to do with carrying on your person.

Plenty of reading on the forum and lots of good advise so ask your questions if you can't find the answer.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's aight with me if'n folks think I'm a dude. ...Unless I'm meeting up with them that is.

Forgot to mention it once and the fella about had a heart attack when I figured it was indeed the person I was meeting and walked up to his car ;)

He was reacting to the banana.

Welcome, OP!

We indeed may possess butter knives, but the transport restrictions are pretty narrow. Basically anywhere between the cutlery drawer, the table, sink, or dishwasher, but NOT the refrigerator. Not so bad, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom