• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I just punched one of my high-on-the-list items today -- an 1898 U.S. Krag-Jorgensen. It needs a stacking swivel, and it looks like the old one was sort of wrenched off the front band, so I've got an original replacement band and swivel (and oiler and cleaning rod) on the way. This is one of the nicer ones I've seen. Bubba never touched it, and it appears to have been stored pretty well over the years.

I didn't get a huge bargain on it, but paid a fair market price and am happy to have done so. This one immediately spoke to me. I'm going to have to walk through it more thoroughly, but it appears to be a very straight-forward original long rifle.

I need to catch up on photography. Maybe when I get the new band on it, I'll take some pics of stuff.

DEX

scruffy-lookin nerfherder
    Aug 16, 2013
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Newest addition after given in to that itch (worse, and more expensive, than wanting that next tattoo). Polish P64. A little bit of holster wear but remarkable otherwise. Just wish I didn't take the trigger out when cleaning. Many curse words were shouted until I finally figured out how to get the trigger spring back in...

Attachments

• tmp_25504-20150828_230251863681869.jpg
      tmp_25504-20150828_230251863681869.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 351

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Newest addition after given in to that itch (worse, and more expensive, than wanting that next tattoo). Polish P64. A little bit of holster wear but remarkable otherwise. Just wish I didn't take the trigger out when cleaning. Many curse words were shouted until I finally figured out how to get the trigger spring back in...

Do yourself a favor and put the lighter Wolff mainspring in...it makes all the world's difference and you will enjoy it enough to consider it as a BUG worth carrying. It is amazingly accurate even when I don't really seem to see the sights. I love mine and shoot it often!

Congrats!

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    I'm sending mine back. I'm just not going to ever be happy with it, and there are other things I'd rather put $425 toward. He's since updated his website to remove the word "original" from the description. I just can't stand the huge gold EP on every replacement part. Oh well . . . that's how it works sometimes.

Got mine today, pics will be up soon. I am very pleased. Great bore, nice wood, a little worn blue in the expected places but overall a really nice gun.

The arsenal refurb must have been kinder to mine than yours...Elvis and his electropen never touched this one. All the numbers are nicely stamped (although not matching, of course).

Feeling pretty good about Dan's and my de-cosmo project this weekend.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD

I've uttered those same curses. I had to read an assembly guide several times to figure it out. Very nice carry gun. I may have to take mine to the range tomorrow...

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Got mine today, pics will be up soon. I am very pleased. Great bore, nice wood, a little worn blue in the expected places but overall a really nice gun.

The arsenal refurb must have been kinder to mine than yours...Elvis and his electropen never touched this one. All the numbers are nicely stamped (although not matching, of course).

Feeling pretty good about Dan's and my de-cosmo project this weekend.

Check for the 1.TRZ marking, that willl tell you it's a refurb.

Which numbers don't match?

They always used the electro pencil when they put new replacement parts on them during refurb. Also, assembly and part numbers are EP'd, even on non-refurbs.

Maybe with yours they salvaged stamped parts off other guns, who knows...

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Check for the 1.TRZ marking, that willl tell you it's a refurb.

Which numbers don't match?

They always used the electro pencil when they put new replacement parts on them during refurb. Also, assembly and part numbers are EP'd, even on non-refurbs.

Maybe with yours they salvaged stamped parts off other guns, who knows...

Stock marked as a refurb with the TRZ marking. Stock's original serial was sanded off, new one matches the RCVR, bolt, and "Elvis" hand-EP serial on the trigger guard. D-1XX under the sight, but besides that and the trigger guard, they look like they were factory etched...different than the importer mark but just as nice (maybe done with a laser or something).

I'm very happy with it, even with some lighter spots in the blue and there are still some bits cosmo to get off. It'll be nice to get it to the range when this rain quits.

iy6ZhNW.jpg

Ilqv3Hw.jpg

7lcWEHi.jpg

bwNWKZz.jpg

hV2opfb.jpg

kVRBkhK.jpg

n3f20pf.jpg

SbJ3Hi8.jpg

Last edited:

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    That's what she said.

I picked up a Colombian Mauser Off GB the other day in a side deal as he had relisted it many times, so i made a offer. Very nice shape with a crest and bayo. The butt plate is a little big though, Anyone have a spare FN style buttplate?

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I picked up a Columbian Mauser Off GB the other day in a side deal as he had relisted it many times, so i made a offer. Very nice shape with a crest and bayo. The butt plate is a little big though, Anyone have a spare FN style buttplate?

I've been watching for one for months and had not been looking for past week. Which one was it?

30-06?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I've been watching for one for months and had not been looking for past week. Which one was it?

30-06?
    Yeah, 30-06.
    This one if you remember the pic
    pix066537511.jpg

Said was Missing a Bracket but its missing a little wood on the left side between the two keeper springs where it come through the stock. they thought here was supposed to be something there.
    pix521972631.jpg

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I totally missed that one.
    I've been searching on both the proper and the mispelled (there is no U in Colombia)
    colombian
    columbian

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom