• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Very excited about my new rifle. Just had to brag. I think it may be the first one of it's kind in MD. Got it via Bollinger's (great shop, awesome people) after nearly a 2-month delay on my pre-order.

Can't wait to take it to the range. M+M included a commercial Bulgarian polymer "bullet" mag. I also have some Gibbs/Matra mags. The Gibbs/Matra mags look to me like Yugo clones, right down to the steel BHO followers.

First observations purely from dry-fondling (sounds painful):
    (1) Heavier than a stock AK, but probably on par with a fully-loaded tacticool AK
    (2) Operation is super smooth, at least for now while it's clean.
    (3) Safety is similar to an ambi 45 degree AR safety. It's off-safe in the photo. Safe is parallel to the bore.
    (4) Came with a Magpul CTR, but I swapped for a Rock River SOPMOD-style stock for no good reason.
    (5) The Bulgarian mag fits flawlessly. The Gibbs/Matra mags fit very snugly.
    (6) Trigger is relatively light (3-4lbs). Creeps smoothly and then suddenly breaks. I'm hoping this will be an advantage for bench accuracy.
    (7) Reset is short and sharp.
    (8) The Elite includes a spring-loaded recoil-reducing Phoenix Tech Kicklite AR stock adapter. This stock, light trigger, and short reset are a great recipe for fun.
    (9) Includes a M+M 4-prong flash-hider that supposedly does a good job at suppressing flash without the ringing.

That's all I've got for now. It'll be a while before I can take it to the range. I'll have a function and accuracy report as soon as I'm able.

Attachments

• my M10X.jpg
      my M10X.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 3,499

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    AKOU did a brief video on this at Shot Show, but then I never heard about it again. I liked his video, can't wait to hear what you have to say about it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That stock setup is a bit ick. Does it have a regular AKM stock interface on the back, so that you can replace it with a Zukhov stock or a Rifle Dynamics adapter?

ETA: according to this link (http://www.recoilweb.com/mm-industries-officially-introduces-m10x-rifle-60669.html), it looks like you're kinda stuck until someone comes out with an alternative part. Ah well. Nice rifle otherwise - I have one of the few M+M M10-545s, and it's a solid performer.

Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    @babalou: Yeah, finally. One delay after another. Turns out they had trouble getting a few parts. The final part that took the longest was the gas plug, which I assume is the part that limits the gas to the piston. The gas block looks pretty darn nice, so I guess it was worth the wait.

@Straightbolt: Not at all like an AR. Definitely resembles an AK, but not interchangeable.

@erwos: I am also not a fan of AR stocks in general, even on ARs, and especially not on AKs. But this isn't either, so I guess it gets a pass. The rear trunnion, tube, and takedown latch are a single unit. If anyone is going to go to the trouble of building an alternate stock, it would be the factory. I asked them, and they said they're thinking about it. The Zhukov was mentioned. Seems they're also fans. But that part was announced long past the point where it could be incorporated into the M10X design. If I were braver, I'd slice off the tube and JB-Weld the Zhukov in place, but I don't have the cojones. Aesthetics aside, my bigger complaint is the cheek weld; too low for my face by roughly 0.6".

@fivepointstar: They're a pretty easy company to get along with. They'd probably agree to a GB. They clearly have the tools in place to laser their logo on everything, so we may even be able to get them to laser WTW or something like we did on the RIA 1911 GB. There's plenty of flat real-estate. Just as a primer, I suggest a slogan like, "This is what you get when you ban AKs!"

Still no time to get to the range. Could be a while. :-(

Shootist

Well ain't that dandy.
    May 7, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Finally got this to the range. Only fired 100 rounds, but there were zero failures to feed or fire. The Phoenix Kicklite system is very effective at reducing recoil. It also cycles very smoothly and a bit on the slow side. Coupled with the fact that this rifle is rather heavy, the impulse is very mild. It feels like a nudge, rather than a punch or tap. It's comfortable enough to to shoot for hours, no exaggeration.

I switched the charging handle to the left side. Theoretically, this should shorten reload time since the left hand doesn't need to reach around to the other side of the rifle. However, because the mag-well is so tight, it's nearly impossible to quickly seat a magazine. The pivot on the mag release lever is tight, which makes removing a magazine a little slower. When you combine these factors, my overall reload time is slower than with a WASR.

The sights were pretty well zeroed from the factory. However, the sights sit too high for my cheekweld, and with the buttstock in the fully-forward position where I like it, it's very difficult to get a steady sight picture. Making matters worse, the smallest diopter (AKA peep sight) was still too big for precise shooting. I was getting 5 inch groups at 25 yards. By comparison, my 7.62x39 AR build which I also fired today, was getting 3 inch groups at 25 yards. I was using Wolf steel-cased ammo and I was firing unsupported with iron sights. But even so, I'm not satisfied with these groups. I will try again with a scope and from a rest to really test the rifle's accuracy.

The trigger is excellent. It's not too heavy, but it has very little take-up and breaks cleanly. Excellent single-stage. The reset is very tactile and loud. The only "issue" is that the reset point and the break point are basically the same. If you ride the trigger forward, as the trigger resets, it will trip the sear again. This resulted in unintentional double-taps. To avoid this, I simply released the trigger after every shot. If I pull the trigger just right, I'm pretty sure I could bumpfire.

Overall, I'm impressed with the rifle despite the little flaws. It's solid in the hand and cycles so smoothly and gently, it's simply a joy to shoot. This is the most pleasant to shoot of all my many rifles. I think I can work out the other kinks. I can open up the mag-well or just break it in by practicing mag changes. I will replace the sights or install a cheek riser. I wouldn't change anything else about the rifle.

I know for a fact that this batch of ammo has stiff primers like Wolf commonly does. My AR has an extended firing pin to improve primer strikes, but even so, failed to ignite a few rounds today. The M10X had no issues. Upon inspecting the fired primers, I found that the M10X primer strikes were larger and more crisp. The 2 on the left are from the M10X and the one on the right is from my AR. I think this is probably a good thing.

Lastly, a word about my Gibbs magazines. I only tested 2 of them today. One fed flawlessly and held the bolt open on the last shot. The other fed flawlessly, but stopped holding the bolt open after the first 30 rounds. Upon inspection, I could see that the follower was shaped somewhat differently from the one that was functioning. I also see some gouges in the back of the mag near the feed lips. But otherwise, it feeds well and it's built as well as any other COMBLOC AK mag I've seen.

Attachments

• 20151007_203546.jpg
      20151007_203546.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 2,517

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    I was shooting Golden Tiger and Tula black label ammo from my M10X and was getting 2-3 out of 20 fail to ignite rounds and the primers showed solid, deep pin hits.
    First four 30 round mags went 100% but after that the problems started and got worse.
    That same batch of ammo is basically 100% sure fire from all my other x39 rifles.
    Made mention of this when I sent my M10X back for all the other issues.
    Not sure whats going on with that but maybe the shape of the tip of the firing pin is contributing to it.
    I also had the charging handle coming back and impacting the receiver top half (on both sides) and galling the metal as well as lots of both fail to feed and fail to eject stove pipes. Tried to up the gas setting to 2 with no change.
    Also had what I suspect was a blown out primer that blew the firing pin back 2" out the back of the bolt where it was stuck. Had to drive out the retaining pin and then the firing pin could be removed. The FP looks OK but the retaining pin is all galled up where the pin came back and went over top of it and the retaining pin now just drops right out when tilted.
    Very disappointed in this rifle but I ran a big risk buying a new rifle design from a small company.
    I will let you know but so far their customer service is very good. I just hope they can solve all these issues.:sad20:

Philayres

Apr 2, 2016
    Very excited about my new rifle. Just had to brag. I think it may be the first one of it's kind in MD. Got it via Bollinger's (great shop, awesome people) after nearly a 2-month delay on my pre-order.

Can't wait to take it to the range. M+M included a commercial Bulgarian polymer "bullet" mag. I also have some Gibbs/Matra mags. The Gibbs/Matra mags look to me like Yugo clones, right down to the steel BHO followers.

First observations purely from dry-fondling (sounds painful):
    (1) Heavier than a stock AK, but probably on par with a fully-loaded tacticool AK
    (2) Operation is super smooth, at least for now while it's clean.
    (3) Safety is similar to an ambi 45 degree AR safety. It's off-safe in the photo. Safe is parallel to the bore.
    (4) Came with a Magpul CTR, but I swapped for a Rock River SOPMOD-style stock for no good reason.
    (5) The Bulgarian mag fits flawlessly. The Gibbs/Matra mags fit very snugly.
    (6) Trigger is relatively light (3-4lbs). Creeps smoothly and then suddenly breaks. I'm hoping this will be an advantage for bench accuracy.
    (7) Reset is short and sharp.
    (8) The Elite includes a spring-loaded recoil-reducing Phoenix Tech Kicklite AR stock adapter. This stock, light trigger, and short reset are a great recipe for fun.
    (9) Includes a M+M 4-prong flash-hider that supposedly does a good job at suppressing flash without the ringing.

That's all I've got for now. It'll be a while before I can take it to the range. I'll have a function and accuracy report as soon as I'm able.

I just picked up my M10x elite. I ran across an article about it in a gun mag. After reading and watching mostly good reviews I decide to seek one out. I'm traveling for work in TN, found a dealer that had one in GA and made the drive to check it out. I bought the gun for $1,350, put a Sig Romeo4 red dot on it and 1,000 rounds of Tulammo steel cased. I've put 500+ rounds thru it and am completely impressed with this rifle. I'm no pro by any means so I really only base it on how smooth the trigger works, 4 ftes (2 in the first 5 shots) that I guess I'll attribute to my poor choice of ammo..?, and accuracy ( even though it's only 25 yards. If I hold the trigger lightly, it will empty the mag to what I have to say is automatically! AWESOME! I have read and saw some bad reviews that seem to have been first run flaws and design mistakes that must have been fixed. My gun does have some machining marks where the charging handle may have hit the receiver as was bitched about in one review, but it looks and cycles fine.
    Dealing with M+M:
    When looking for one of these to hold before I purchased I contacted all the dealers on their website. Bullseye gun shop in GA had only this gun and it was $250 cheaper than MSRP so I e mailed M+M just asking if they'd honor any warranty issues. I got an immediate response from Ron Smith (director of marketing) saying they would deal with all warranty issues in CO and they are now in their last manufacturing run of 75 of which half are sold (When asked he said they have made about 200-250 of which mine is 138). After I purchased the gun I dry fired it about 10 times and the end of the firing pin came out the barrel. I'm a new guy so I had no clue. Took the gun apart, sent a picture of the pin and emailed Ron. He responded in 10 minutes saying they've not had problems with the firing pins but he wouldn't suggest dry firing. He overnighted me a firing pin, keeper and about 50 stickers. His help before buying and quick response since has made me proud to have bought an American designed, manufactured and assembled quality firearm.
    My recommendation is to buy from M+M and find one of these M10x elites.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 2,539

Philayres

Apr 2, 2016
    M+M M10x elite

In Shot 2016 M+M revealed upgrades they have made to the M10x rifle. They will offer shorter barrels, a patented dust cover and the magpul folding Zhukov stock! The gun looks bad ass and is clearly pulling away from any modular rifle based on the AK platform.
    I've tried to upload pictures of their new upgrades and the grips I've put on my forend and pic rail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 2,357
    • image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      22.8 KB · Views: 3,757

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members