• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ff13375

Feb 22, 2012
    I have a chance to get a special weapons mp5 in .45 ACP. It was bough in PA as a long gun, it has the fake suppressor on it. I was wondering if it is possible to bring in to maryland as a SBR. I all ready have a trust set up. Just trying to see if I could SBR it on a fourm 1 or would I have to have a class 3 shop do the work and do on fourm 4. Any help at all would be great

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Get rid of the fake can and make it integrally suppressed then you should have no problem meeting the OAL and when someone asks if that can is functional you can smile and nod.

ff13375

Feb 22, 2012
    I am getting rid of the fake can when my tax stamp comes back and I already have a .45 suppressor for it. Was just trying to see it I can do the work or a class 3 dealer has to since the gun was bought in PA has a long gun. After talking with a local shop it looks like I can do the work and fill out a form 1. Now the fun part of meeting MD OAL.

ff13375

Feb 22, 2012
    I am using yhm cobra m2. I already have it, just need to get the gemtech 3 lug adapter. My biggest problem is finding someone to do the mag conversion or converting them my self. Dd you use the AR adapter for your stock if so what was yor AOL?

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    I am using yhm cobra m2. I already have it, just need to get the gemtech 3 lug adapter. My biggest problem is finding someone to do the mag conversion or converting them my self. Dd you use the AR adapter for your stock if so what was yor AOL?

I was lucky to be able to submit my 2 mp5 clones before sb281 went into effect so I didn't have to worry about the oal issues. You can probably ask your questions on HK PRO they are focused on all things hk and hk related.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    An mp5 'rifle' is a hk94. Banned in MD as a named assault rifle. You can't legally buy it in PA. You could have a FFL07 there convert it to a >29" SBR, transfer it to an instate FFL on a form 3, then transfer to you on a form 4.

ff13375

Feb 22, 2012
    An mp5 'rifle' is a hk94. Banned in MD as a named assault rifle. You can't legally buy it in PA. You could have a FFL07 there convert it to a >29" SBR, transfer it to an instate FFL on a form 3, then transfer to you on a form 4.

Ok I will have to look into it a little more. I have not gotten it yet, was just tring to see if it can be done. I talk to a class 3/NFA dealer that said as long as I file a form 1 and wait until it comes back approved before taking ownership and bringing in to maryland and SBRing I would be fine.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Be VERY careful here. You can't buy a banned rifle. Out of state doesn't matter. When you buy a firearm is must be legal in your home state. Law says nothing about possession or bringing it back into the state. Just like you can't buy a skinny barrel AR in virginia and slap a HBAR upper on it before coming back to MD. It has to be in an HBAR configuration before you can buy.

If you want one, its probably best to just buy a pistol version in MD and Form1 is yourself. A MP5 pistol is MD legal. Scour gunbroker/arfcom/etc for a pistol version to transfer in.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    HK94 is a 9mm MP5 rifle that is banned. A SW MP5 in 45acp is not a copy so it is legal. Also a MP5 rifle in 40 & 10mm is also legal. There are 18 different parts that will not interchange.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Good point but it may not be that clear cut. There were other manufacturers (vector?) who made 94s in other calibers (at least .40 that Im aware of.) And lots of folks made MP5 rifles in all the cals, but never called them 94s - like the SW45 in the OPs post. So you REALLY want a better definition from the MSP what they are going to consider a 94. And we all know how that typ goes.

You may be onto something though. Ask someone like Duffy's or Engage if they'll transfer it in. If their lawyer is comfortable w/ it, I'd go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom