• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    Hey,
    I figured I would ask before I buy. Would a 22 cal air rifle be sufficient for a groundhog within a reasonable distance? 20-30 yards tops. There are tons of groundhogs on my property but I can not use a rifle.

If so which rifle would you choose? Anyone have experience with a stoger atac? I held one today and it felt pretty good.

-Kevin.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I'm currently having an issue with the little bastards. From what I hear and read, a pellet gun won't do too much. They have tough skin.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Check velocities against 1.77s. I've seen air rifles kill mature hogs with head shots but, I have a feeling groundhogs have a tougher skull.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I have a .22 RWS 48. I have all confidence that a well placed shot would dispatch a ground hog no problem. It consistently runs about 900fps with 18 grain pellets.

If you want to be sure, get a .38cal PCP air rifle. You'll have zero issue with killing ground hogs.
    Warning... be ready to spend a good sum on a decent air rifle.

May 13, 2005
    Not sure about a pellet gun, but I've killed more than one with 22LR Super Collibre. Just as quiet (or more) than a pellet gun. Good for Raccoons too:innocent0

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    OP that Stoeger probably won't do well. Most cheap air rifles are disappointingly inaccurate and weak. I know they advertise 800 fps but I wouldn't expect it. Go to pyramid air and you tube and check out air rifle reviews. Spend a bit of time researching. It's time well spent.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yep, some of those air rifles carry a pretty loud report, some as loudish as .22. I like bows.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    I have a .22 RWS 48. I have all confidence that a well placed shot would dispatch a ground hog no problem. It consistently runs about 900fps with 18 grain pellets.

If you want to be sure, get a .38cal PCP air rifle. You'll have zero issue with killing ground hogs.
    Warning... be ready to spend a good sum on a decent air rifle.

Got one with the RWS, the rest with CB shorts. The 10/22 was quieter.

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    Thank you all for the replies. I will buy some quieter 22 ammo and try it at the range. I live on 15 acres so legally I could shoot but I just wanted to be stealthier since there is a school across a field and behind some woods.

I like the idea of a break barrel air rifle. I will research them further. If anything i could pick off squirrels when they get into my garden.

How much would you spend in a good air rifle? $500ish?

-Kevin.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have 2 PCP airguns listed now in the classifieds. Either of them will take a groundhog.

CCI .22 Quiet is also a good option.

Quality air rifles with power enough to take larger game get expensive. However, are cheaper to shoot and can be very quiet (and addictive :-)

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Thank you all for the replies. I will buy some quieter 22 ammo and try it at the range. I live on 15 acres so legally I could shoot but I just wanted to be stealthier since there is a school across a field and behind some woods.

I like the idea of a break barrel air rifle. I will research them further. If anything i could pick off squirrels when they get into my garden.

How much would you spend in a good air rifle? $500ish?

-Kevin.
    My RWS 48 goes for $440 at Airgun Depot. It's a side lever. The thing weighs a ton but with a decent leaper's scope, you're golden. Mine LOVES diablo pellets.
    I personally don't care for the break barrels. My thought is the accuracy isn't there if you can move the alignment of the barrel from the axis of the scope. My RWS 48 is a tack driver. I have a rubber squirrel spinner about 20 yards from my deck. I get consistent neck shots every time.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    A .177 will drop them up to 20 yards with a well placed shot. You have a much better chance if you can get a second shot off. One shot not well placed will only wound them and they'll limp of and die.

Not sure about a pellet gun, but I've killed more than one with 22LR Super Collibre. Just as quiet (or more) than a pellet gun. Good for Raccoons too:innocent0

These in my T bolt are quieter than my Gamo break barrel. Good to 30 yards.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Consider the energy of the round since that is what does the work. In my opinion the minimum energy for a humane kill on a groundhog, at close range 25 yds. with a well placed shot, would be a standard velocity .22 short weighing 27 to 29 grains. The ballistics tables show that equals something in the range of 60 to 70 foot pounds of energy at 25 yds. A better choice would be a .22 Long Rifle either sub sonic or standard velocity weighing 38 to 40 grains. This has an energy of 80 to 90 foot pounds at 25 yds. Look for an air rifle and "pellet" combination that will give equivalent energy at 25 yds.

If you can't shoot them with something adequate to insure a humane kill then either trap and dispatch them or use smoke bombs. Respect life even when you have to take it.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Consider the energy of the round since that is what does the work. In my opinion the minimum energy for a humane kill on a groundhog, at close range 25 yds. with a well placed shot, would be a standard velocity .22 short weighing 27 to 29 grains. The ballistics tables show that equals something in the range of 60 to 70 foot pounds of energy at 25 yds. A better choice would be a .22 Long Rifle either sub sonic or standard velocity weighing 38 to 40 grains. This has an energy of 80 to 90 foot pounds at 25 yds. Look for an air rifle and "pellet" combination that will give equivalent energy at 25 yds.

If you can't shoot them with something adequate to insure a humane kill then either trap and dispatch them or use smoke bombs. Respect life even when you have to take it.

Agreed, caught my first one this morning in a trap. The instructions for the trap are BS. I followed them and I caught nothing. I went on line and read a completely different approach to using the trap and it worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom