• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    no 5.7 is not the best. Personally, I cant get anything higher than a 4.7 to shoot straight (but lordy those low numbers shoot tight). I just have a 5.7 SA (now that's rare) and want a set to make. JJBduke has a consecutive pair of SA 5.7. I have not shot the 5.6 mil HRA/LMR yet.

The neat ones are the early HRA where they stamped a backward 3 because they didn't have a "&" yet.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    Here is my update for two filed grades as of 10/22/14

Mailed on - 10/09/14
    Email received - 10/15/14
    CMP Estore posting - 10/17/14
    Credit card charged on - 10/20/14
    Tracking number issued - 10/22/14
    Arrival date - TBA

Estimated date of arrival is this Thursday after 10am. Total time from mailing the order to arrival is approx 15 days. I'm taking them to the range on Saturday.

Last edited:

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Ok, I got mine today! Looks to have all HRA parts, not sure about the stock. It does have a cartouche on the left hand side but it's hard to make out. Hopefully once I get it cleaned up I can make it out better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      110.8 KB · Views: 281

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The cartouche is the boxed eagle & stars.

It's called the DAS, Defense Acceptance Stamp, used on all Garands after 1953.

AKA "chicken and stars".

Congratulations: you got a nice USGI stock! The rest of the rifle looks good, too.

I'm worried you may have gotten the rifle intended for me.

DASStamp1.jpg

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Ok, I got mine today! Looks to have all HRA parts, not sure about the stock. It does have a cartouche on the left hand side but it's hard to make out. Hopefully once I get it cleaned up I can make it out better.

Was this a HRA service grade back order from awhile ago or a luck of the draw more recent service grade order? Just curious.... seems like most folks ordering luck of the draw lately are all getting SA.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Was this a HRA service grade back order from awhile ago or a luck of the draw more recent service grade order? Just curious.... seems like most folks ordering luck of the draw lately are all getting SA.

It was awhile ago! I ordered this back in late April/early May. I had read that people were getting emails to switch from HRA to SA but I never got that email. It was worth the wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    It's called the DAS, Defense Acceptance Stamp, used on all Garands after 1953.

AKA "chicken and stars".

Congratulations: you got a nice USGI stock! The rest of the rifle looks good, too.

I'm worried you may have gotten the rifle intended for me.

DASStamp1.jpg

Yeah that's it! Chicken and stars huh. Thanks! The tag on the gun stated muzzle 2 & throat 2 with a serial #569xxxx and barrel 10-55 date. I'm going to take it apart this weekend to clean and lube. Stock feels sticky so I'm going to clean it up also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    It looks like a rack number that was likely used for inventory for the armorers when they issued them. Easy way to keep track of them and to identify which one is missing. I have a yellow painted rack number on my SA stock. I like it, if it were me I would see if you could carefully remove the sticker rack number. As long as it doesn't pull up the finish or remove the red paint. Looks too modern for a gun with such history :)

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Additional research leads me to believe that field grade #1 has a IHC stock. The size and font of the stamping is dead on.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Additional research leads me to believe that field grade #1 has a IHC stock. The size and font of the stamping is dead on.

So does that 1944 stamp mean July 14, 1954?

My credit card has been hit for my IHC Field Grade with LMR barrel, by the way.

I plan to pick up my HRA Service Grade tomorrow. It's raining Garands at Threeband's house.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    So does that 1944 stamp mean July 14, 1954?

My credit card has been hit for my IHC Field Grade with LMR barrel, by the way.

I plan to pick up my HRA Service Grade tomorrow. It's raining Garands at Threeband's house.

Bringing one of the new ones out Sunday to thurmont?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom