• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KPSpeller

Aug 28, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    The arson and burglary at Fred's in under federal investigation.
    "On Monday, October 13, 2014, at approximately 4:00 AM, members of the Charles County, Maryland Sheriff's Department and local Fire Departments responded to Fred's Sports, a Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer located at 2895 Crain Highway, Waldorf, Maryland for the report of a fire. The fire was extinguished and it was determined that unknown suspects had made entry into the structure via the roof at the southwest corner of the building.
    Additional investigation reveals that a fence located behind the store had been cut to allow suspects ingress to the facility.
    As of this writing, store owner Joseph Herbert believes that approximately 40 handguns were stolen during the burglary, however, a complete accounting of the actual number of firearms stolen is not possible until a complete inventory is taken (scheduled for 10/15 morning)."

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I am still stunned when I read that these gun stores do not place the handguns in safes when the stores are closed. Surprised that it is not a requirement on them from the state. From memory this has happened several times down in Lexington Park.

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    I am still stunned when I read that these gun stores do not place the handguns in safes when the stores are closed. Surprised that it is not a requirement on them from the state. From memory this has happened several times down in Lexington Park.

How do you know they weren't locked in a safe at night?

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Story stated that 40 handguns were stolen. I doubt that if these firearms were indeed looked up in a safe that they would have been stolen.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I'm not sure the two crimes are related (both recent fires on that strip). My way of thinking would be why on earth would someone get away with firearms just to risk being arrested for setting a fire next door? One is a planned heist, the other simple arson...just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Really. No matter how you feel about Fred's, remember the employees. They have families to feed, bills to pay and NOW no income. I'm not especially a fan of Fred's but I won't kick someone when they're down.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    I'm not sure the two crimes are related (both recent fires on that strip). My way of thinking would be why on earth would someone get away with firearms just to risk being arrested for setting a fire next door? One is a planned heist, the other simple arson...just my thoughts.

Thought that I read there were 3 fires. 1 @ Fred's and 2 fires at the Halloween store (1 before and 1 after the Fred's fire). Seems weird to me...

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I would hope that a gun store would actually have a real safe, not a locking cabinet. If they were stored in a real safe overnight I seriously doubt the typical Southern Maryland/PG county criminal would have the knowledge or ability to open it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Unless someone wants to clear those commercial lots to build another strip mall with the typical somd combination of nail-salon, chinese-takeout, liquor-store and cell phone retailer.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    How does anyone know if these were "typical" criminals?

Even the best safes can be opened more quickly than you would think by complete amateurs. If a thief had a modicum of skill in this area, a safe could be quickly defeated.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    How does anyone know if these were "typical" criminals?

Even the best safes can be opened more quickly than you would think by complete amateurs. If a thief had a modicum of skill in this area, a safe could be quickly defeated.

I am sure the ATF is taking a close look at all former employees of the store.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    honestly, if they can go trough the roof make off with at least 40 handguns set the place on fire they should have the equipment to get trough most safes

Not going to say what we have but on the heavy rescue squad I am with has a tool that could get trough a safe in just a few minutes

If all the guns where in the safe it would be easier to grab them and go since they all where in one place then if they where spread out in the cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom