• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wow!...My wife made some homemade Elk Salisbury steak out of the tenderloin....its the best I've had...ever IMO. Also I took the rear legs, front legs and backstraps in to get processed, and the total weight was 225lbs not boned but still!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    thanks! Its fun but lots of work...Im feeling it today...lol

I think I could put a whitetailed deer inside the body cavity of the elk...LOL

Wow...I would imagine they are HUGE! Just think of all that meat you get to eat off of for the next year for a few days worth of work :thumbsup:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Butchered one a couple years ago up Dvorshak Resevoir way...rag horn.

Found it took a couple of hours of hard work and a steady (keep sharpened) sharp knife...or knives.

Also learned a few lessons... Don't stand on the downhill side when the guts come out...almost took my buddy down a very steep hill (in fairness it was pretty late and very dark and we were elk noobs). Next lesson was DO NOT PUT THE ELK IN THE COOLER AND ON DRY ICE AND THEN PUT THAT IN A MOTORHOME WITH YOU. Damn near kilt the two of us flat landers the next night.

Anyhow, they are regal critters, them elk. Wapiti. When you see the terrain they traverse with grace nd ease, you are humbled. When you stand beside the corpus delicious, you are amazed. When you partake of their flesh, you are delighted. Yummy.

I gotta go elk hunting again soon!

Congrats once again. You're living right.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wow...I would imagine they are HUGE! Just think of all that meat you get to eat off of for the next year for a few days worth of work :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:

Butchered one a couple years ago up Dvorshak Resevoir way...rag horn.

Found it took a couple of hours of hard work and a steady (keep sharpened) sharp knife...or knives.

Also learned a few lessons... Don't stand on the downhill side when the guts come out...almost took my buddy down a very steep hill (in fairness it was pretty late and very dark and we were elk noobs). Next lesson was DO NOT PUT THE ELK IN THE COOLER AND ON DRY ICE AND THEN PUT THAT IN A MOTORHOME WITH YOU. Damn near kilt the two of us flat landers the next night.

Anyhow, they are regal critters, them elk. Wapiti. When you see the terrain they traverse with grace nd ease, you are humbled. When you stand beside the corpus delicious, you are amazed. When you partake of their flesh, you are delighted. Yummy.

I gotta go elk hunting again soon!

Congrats once again. You're living right.
    thats about 4 hours from me or so. Yeah for such a huge animal they run through the woods/brush like the wind! Im an elk noob myself...I missed out on hunting growing up and when I was stationed in Mt home I never had much time to hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom