• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Interesting case... I'd bet a good lawyer could get the charges dropped, even in NJ. The only thing that might get him in trouble might be negligent discharge or endangerment.

drone-hunting1.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good, should be sued for replacement cost too. Instead of talking to the neighbor, calling the police, ordering it to leave(required to actually be trespassing in most cases) or basically any other response, an adult could be expected to have, the idiot started blasting a 12ga at it in the middle of a neighborhood. This is just a hit piece from a conservative source instead of a liberal one for a change.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    Good, should be sued for replacement cost too. Instead of talking to the neighbor, calling the police, ordering it to leave(required to actually be trespassing in most cases) or basically any other response, an adult could be expected to have, the idiot started blasting a 12ga at it in the middle of a neighborhood. This is just a hit piece from a conservative source instead of a liberal one for a change.

Agreed and if some of you don't see why this is a bad thing, then maybe you shouldn't own firearms either.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    My "PULL" comment was meant as tongue in cheek, of what I thought was an interesting story. I do not advocate this kind of thing.

When we stop laughing we cry:D There is a TON of misinformation about aerial photography AKA "drones"("drone" is the RC version of "assault weapon" to gun folk) There is a good bit of controversy about government use of UAVs, and where the "public" stops and search warrants begin. In most current domestic roles they supplement manned aircraft and perform a similar role while being cheaper and easier to use. The fear is that police will use them to fish for minor infractions, or violate the rights of people, imagine hundreds of small aerial LEO infraction cameras on every road, in every neighborhood sending citations or arrest warrants every time you exceed the speed limit, smoke within 50' of a building, roll through a stop sign, or hold a beer on the sidewalk next to your property. It is a bit far fetched, but given the escalation of our nanny state, it is a future we should be fighting against.

Now there is also a fast growing part of the RC aircraft and photography hobbies enjoyed by millions, basically using a small camera to film a flight, often with real time transmission of the footage to the pilot on the ground. It looks like you are sitting in the plane flying around, you can have a view and experience for a couple hundred dollars that would otherwise cost a plane ticket, or pilots license. In this case you have all the responsibility of a person walking around with a camera filming, you also have a right to your property. Legally the OP's situation is simple, RC devices are considered an extension of the operator, and therefore you can be charged if you enter a restricted area, and if told not to operate on someone's property, you must leave.

In this case none of that happened, there are a couple other threads about this(not a dupe IMO, new article) some on my RC forum, the operator flew over the fence filming the ongoing construction from 50' or so above the property, then without warning, the property owner shot repeatedly till he hit it, and crashed it. The entire ordeal was filmed, the SD card from the model was recovered, and legally it looks to be a fairly simple unprovoked and unwarned"camera smash" case. Similar to someone taking pictures when the subject walks up, grabs the camera and smashes it, in this case with a 12ga. The property owner is liable for the damage he caused, and for the laws he broke, he had plenty of other options, but chose to be a badass about it, and will suffer the consequences.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Drones, quadcopters, whatever... getting out of control with people flying over private property and taking pictures. FYI no consumer "drone" can reach a height that would be classified as public airspace.

Secondly if I see any drone flying over my property I am not going to shoot it down. I am going to jam it. Best case it uses its GPS and returns home. Worst case it falls out of the sky. Not my loss. None of my neighbors are stupid enough to pull that kind of a stunt anyway.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    how do u "jam it"?

Aim the pointy end of your foil hat towards it, and hum loudly. The acoustic waves induce varying capacitance in the foil layers, and this creates electromagnetic impulses due to the Warblekopfer Effect.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    how do u "jam it"?

With a powerful transmitter in the 2.4GHz or 5GHz range and a directional antenna. Some of them use 433MHz in which case I just key up the ham radio with high power.

There's a good reason I don't want those things flying over my property either. I have high antennas, some made of wire and not really visible. It's a pain in the butt to repair damaged antennas so I'd rather not have random flying man made objects damaging them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom