• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Yesterday was a good C and R day:D. UPS brought a 1970 Finn M39 and FedEx brought this. Been looking for one of these for a while - a year plus. As noted in the title, it is from 1955, a Pre-Model 28. Has 5 screws. Finish is about 90%. Bore is exceptional. Grips are original and tight, but there is a little separation on the bottom left. Almost like its warped a little. The lockup is tight. There is a little bluing loss on one of the cylinders. No big deal to me though.

This is one heavy pistol, feels solid in hand. Cant wait to take it to the range.

Not gonna eat this month, but she is pretty.

Attachments

• S and W Pre 28 2.jpg
      S and W Pre 28 2.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 353
    • S and W Pre 28.jpg
      S and W Pre 28.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 323

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Beautiful. Five screw or newer...still my favorite revolver.

I love the old S&W's too. Already have a Pre-Model 15 Combat Masterpiece. Thing is a tank, accurate as crap and it has the smoothest trigger I own. The fit and finish on these old S&W's is off the chart. They don't make em like this anymore.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I have a mid 60's highway patrolman, one of my favorites to shoot. Gotta love the N frame!

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Beautiful! I've only got a few wheel guns ... just don't appreciate them enough, I guess ... but that's one of the few that really calls to me.

Thanks Doc. I agree, most revolvers don't really do it for me. This era of S&W revolvers are something else though. They just feel good in your hand, and they were made by craftsmen.

Surplus guns are great. But it is the ability to buy these types of guns that really make an 03 FFL pretty cool.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Great Find indeed! a beautiful revolver.

I still have some speed loaders from my 80's qual days so I go out every now and again to see if I can get 18 off in a decent time.

These Smith have become very collectible and do go very fast. I happen to be on J&G's site a few months ago and also got an identical Highway Patrolman from them. 5 screw pinned and recessed. A pre 28 and made the first year...54 (or 55?) I think. I need to look that up. Mine has a tad more holster wear than yours so most likely it was carried by an LEO at one time.

I sent the S&W historian a letter a few months ago asking for a history letter on the revolver but I have not heard anything back. They did, however, cash my $50 check pretty quick. :)

Of all of the firearms I own these old classics are my favorites. I grew up with wheel guns.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Bought one last year, the guy that had it owns a gun store on the west coast, he also sent me a letter from the S&W historian on it, real cool. I did change the grips because as much as I love Smith's revolvers the grip always feel too small and if I shoot it I won't be able to hang on to it. Kinda funny because I have medium to small hands. I have owned a few, all .357 with 4" barrels. I did put the original grips away for safe keeping.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. And that was a great price you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom