• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I just went today and thought I'd update about the range if it hasn't been done already.

Got there around 11am and was pretty much totally alone for the hour I shot, which was very nice. Only paid $5 for the whole day which was good, but I would gladly pay more if the range had better upkeep.

There are twelve benches available, 3 of which for handguns and shotguns. The rest are for centerfire rifles. The worst thing about the range is the target backers. All of them are rubber, no plywood and totally covered in staples. I had to beat them down to make a space available to tack my targets. There are 4 backers for handguns/shotguns, all of which were missing the centers entirely, about the size of a basketball. The rifle backers were the worst.

Out of the 9 available only 2 or 3 were usable. Only 1 was in good condition. The frame had collapsed on one, the backer had fallen off another and all the others were blown to smithereens.

If it had been a busy day, forget it. It would have been a pain dealing with the ruined target stands.

The other thing about the range is there's nothing available to shoot at in-between 25 and 100 yards.

But overall it's a nice range. If the backers get fixed, it would be a great range.

Also, my SKS can't hit the broad side of a barn.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    We just had the mini-shoot up there last week and that's about right.

For distances other than 25 or 100yd people bring old political signs and put targets on then. :thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    They changed the 100yd backers to that tire belt stuff? That sucks.

I used to carry a box of deck screws with me up there to try to be ready for the shot-up state of everything.

BTW, I don't know about now but I used to drag one of the target holders on pallets over to the 50yard line to shoot 50 yds. The range obviously was built with a 50 yd position in mind because there is a little rise there.

mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's multiple ground humps there for different distances.

At least one of the metal frames supporting the backer was totally bent and ruined. It seems that it needs a pretty heavy make over.

The political sign idea is really good, I'm going to remember that.

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    They repair the targets about once a year. If you go up there regularly it is cheaper to buy a year long permit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Microcystis?feature=mhum#p/u/7/XLx4Ih2Jsyk

http://www.youtube.com/user/Microcystis?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/ws_Y5afvgo4

Microcystis

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    We just had the mini-shoot up there last week and that's about right.

For distances other than 25 or 100yd people bring old political signs and put targets on then. :thumbsup:

Getting into this thread a little late but was this the sign you speak of?

Media2.jpg

I think I know the guy...:D

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    Just a note for those unfamiliar with the rules== It is always closed on Tuesdays.

I am thinking about going up to shoot on Monday and scout for turkeys a while.

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Those but also the ones that come with the metal wire frames go in the ground easy and whatever distance you want.

Yes - Realty signs are good as well. Plentiful right now unfortunately... My SL works for a firm and I can pick up junk ones from time to time. They're disposable.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads