• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    I want very much to attend a build party. I own 3 AK's but don't know how to build one. If we want this to happen we need to make it worth while for the guys with the knowledge and tools, like we might want to make it profitable for them. If one, two or three guys who have the tools and knowledge teamed up to organize a build party I would gladly pay an admission fee.

And that would be considered "in the business" of manufacturing if one is making any sort of profit from the gathering, even if it's payment for time and not the act itself. To avoid that apperance of being in any sort of business without an FFL, maybe we make a picnic out of it and everyone brings noms and libations instead of money. :party29:

Camaraderie and delicious libational refreshment, and knowing others now have the skills. Payment enough. :thumbsup:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I no longer have flat bending tooling but do still have a spot welder. And a full set of AK-builder jigs for the final builds. This summer's been busy for me but I'd like to help some others out if time/location allows.

I would highly recommend anyone considering doing a first build to go with a pre-headspaced barrel. It will really save time and hassle. Personally, I am in need of a good mill. All my remaining barrels are virgin and drilling the pin nice and straight without going oversize is a skill I lack.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If anyone is into building an AK pistol, Centerfire still has pistol kits.
    They're stated as non-matching, which is not exactly optimal. If the bolt and barrel assembly match, I guess that's not a big deal, but I didn't see any guarantees about that on the page.

EDIT: someone on calguns said the bolt and front trunion match. Not sure if that's enough.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I recently purchased a Romy kit from ak-builder, it stated non matching numbers, however once I got the kit the only number that was not matching was the gas tube. Here I was expecting a big mismatch, not too concerned about the gas tube since that as commonly replaced anyway. not to mention the us barrel is chrome lined and already headspaced is a plus.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    They're stated as non-matching, which is not exactly optimal. If the bolt and barrel assembly match, I guess that's not a big deal, but I didn't see any guarantees about that on the page.

EDIT: someone on calguns said the bolt and front trunion match. Not sure if that's enough.

Bolt and front trunnion match. I spoke with CFS and they told me that they sent all the kits out to get painted, headspaced, and cleaned up. When I got my kit, I checked the headspace before even building the kit. It was dead-on.

Not saying they're the best in the world, but they're a decent AIMR carbine kit (once you buy the stamp and folding stock.)

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I might be interested depending on date and location. I have no experience with building AK's so I'd be dependent on others.

Thinking about this Kit? What else would I need to bring?

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    You'd just need Receiver, Rivets, and Rails. Personally I'd spring for the matching numbers. There's no real reason to have matching numbers if everything head spaces properly. There are tons of AKs out there in service with mismatched numbers -- talking about military service.

And wow, that kit is only $309?!? I paid $300 for a kit last summer (with original romanian barrel, rust and all) and then had to get them home from Georgia.

Bernie

Jan 30, 2010
    Severna Park
    AK47 NEWBIE

Hey Guys....I am an old gun builder, pistols and AR's but now want to change and learn the AK47 builds. I have purchased a couple of kits, de-milled, one or two with original barrel attached to trunion, some not, but also got a couple of new barrels. I have the parts, just not sure where to begin
    So of course I am exteremely interested in a 'AK build party' or any other 'hands on help' that I can receive. I have printed some of the articles on the web and done some research, but the AK world seems a lot more complicated than the AR or 1911 world...so many different variations....
    I live in Pasadena (Glen Burnie) and am willing to drive.

rcpd34

Peoples Republic Maryland
    Jan 29, 2009
    MD
    I'm an 07/02 so no worries about the mfg issue. My AK is built, but I'll take it apart to learn how to work on it. I'm in Rockville.

chopper

Sep 15, 2012
    i also have a bending jig that i will let go or trade for ar parts, looking for striped lowers

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Anyone up for a build party? I've never built one before and thought it would be fun to try.

gonna put one together once i'm back stateside. have a couple road trips to make shortly after i get home, plus the wife's graduation party to work around, but we should be able to make it happen. frozencesium and i have a bunch of tooling at my place.

i'll put up a thread as we get closer and i've got more solid dates for possibles.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I also have a bunch of tooling and knowledge that I can share.

One of the romanian children is going to get rebuilt in a few months, because I'm not a fan of the tapco flat it was built on, and it was the first one, so it's got some issues.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    (noted). cuz I want to build one or 2 and then try building my krinkov parts kit. All the builders I talked to are not taking new work at this time....:mad54:
    have any of you done a folding stock or krink build?

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who wants anything for their time/tools/experience/advice. I'm willing to do it for free. I just enjoy working on things.

Depending on where Armed Ferret's stateside landing is, I could bring most of my tools with me. The problem is that I have a small house (1800sqft) and not a whole lot of room in the workshop. I could probably only host two people at a time.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the purpose of a build party is camaraderie and the chance for newbies to get with experienced builders for tutelage and guidance when they build their own rifles. payment/favors discussed ahead of time could be construed by ATF as "being in the business" and, as such, is probably just something better left to "be a chum and bring a side dish" or something. turn it into a potluck/bbq/whatever. definitely don't phrase it as 'donations to the people with the tools' just to avoid legal implications for them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom