• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    Hey guys, I wanted to get an opinion/thoughts on a situation that I've run through my head a few times. I'll preface it by saying that I'm definitely the one to OC just for the sake of sticking it to the man. Don't particularly care for the guys that will sling an AR to their back and walk into Chipotle because I believe it does more harm than good. That being said. I live in Alexandria which may as well be DC "lite" when it comes to the yuppieisms and liberal mindset about guns. I've heard about folks OCing around Old Town and they didn't spontaneously combust. There have been two situations that I believe had above average odds of a firearm being needed. One was in an outdoor movie screening in the park in Arlington Gateway Park, the other is when I take my dog to the Shirlington Dog Park. Both have masses of (easily targeted) people, and one adds 100+lb dogs to the mix. I typically CC to the dog park and have a knife on me just in case, but am often paranoid about printing or showing when picking up after the dog, getting her in/out of the creek, etc. I’ve thought about possibly just switching to an OC holster and be done with it. In the winter months (coming up) it’s easy to CC, but it got more difficult as the summer was here. While both of these locations are perfectly legal to carry, the last thing I want to do on my Sunday afternoon is have to deal with “OMG HE’S GOT A GUN!”, or “HOW DARE YOU BRING THAT HERE” if I OC’ed. Everybody of course thinks that their dog is perfectly trained, but you know how that goes…
    So with this problem, I try to think about it from the flip side of the coin, and heck, I remembered the first time I saw an OC here in VA was on some punk looking kid with baggy cargo’s, t-shirt 3 times too large. I admit that my stomach jumped for a quick second and then immediately realized that it was acceptable around here (I was at Green Top no less…). That said, once the initial reaction passed he posed no threat to me and was a regular individual like anybody else that may have stolen someone’s clothes three times his size. With that story, I would like to imagine that that would be the case, but of course I feel like the majority of the soccer moms, yuppie chicks and old ladies would throw a fit. So I guess my question is has anybody else carried there, seen people carry there, or have a similar situation that they could shed some light on?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if you wanna OC, then OC. i do it from time to time and frankly no one even notices. unless you're dressed as some hood rat, my guess is most that do notice assume you're LEO.

and if you CC and worry about printing/showing, i wouldn't worry, again the masses aren't scanning each of us up and down looking for some hidden weapon. and since both cc and oc are legal in va (cc with permit of course), again no worry about printing or showing.

google open carry nova - there's a website where folks that do that report back with any good or bad results, most are no big deal.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I just open carried across two states with a half dozen stops and not a second look.

When I OC, I go business casual because it helps tamp down concern among passersby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom