• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I rather catch rabies than be caught inside their SS store (just 4 blks away). That's just me. Ya'll do what you want.

High rent is really not an excuse for not dealing on anything in the store. It's MSRP or Fuggedabout

Engage is cheaper by far. I both a Colt Delta Elite NIB from Andy for less than Atlantic was trying to sell a used one.

My G29SF was literally hundreds cheaper.

To each his own.

+1

+2

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I really like Atlantic Guns at both locations.
    I bought all 3 of my Freedom Arms revolvers there and BTW, I don't see that kind of quality carried at very many places.
    They also have a gunsmith on site, who's a real nice guy, which I like.
    Maybe they don't discount like you think they ought to.
    They're a business. One that has always treated me right.
    +1 for Atlantic Guns.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Atlantic has been god to me for over thirty years also, Sure you might pay retail there but look what you get, a large knowlegeable staff with some of them have been there well over twenty years. Then look at the amount of full time staff each store has and think about how many familys the two stores takes care of. Sure you get better ttaken of when they know you better after a few years, but what small family owned biz does not do that. And another fact about buying from a big box store is if you have a problem with a new gun its up to you to pay and ship it back to the factory and take care of all the ******** with getting the repairs done but at atlantic you drop it off and they will eather pay to ship it back or have there inhouse gunsmith repair it free of charge.
    foster smith

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Their prices are high, and there have been occasions when I've been there and didn't receive any help (even when the shop was near empty) at the Rockville location.

I only buy supplies there that I absolutely must have at that instant, and only if it's on my way to wherever I'm going. I seem to remember them asking 100 over MSRP on CZ75s which is just absurd. I shopped Glocks there during their Glock Days sale (before I knew better) and ended up buying the same exact pistol at Engage for less than Atlantic's (Glock factory-backed) sale price.

I haven't been back to Atlantic since.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I think this Sunday is their once per year sale day a the Silver Spring store. It's the only Sunday all year that they are open. I went last year and talked at length to a S&W rep. who I found very interesting. I also got a nice deal on a Leupold Handgun scope. It was a floor model but it was such a great price I couldn't resist. It now sits atop my S&W 500 Bone Collector.

Atlantic mounted the scope for me with Leupold M4 scope rings. But that's a whole story in and of itself.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I was in there yesterday (18 OCT) to fill out the paperwork for a BCM lower transfer that I bought from G&R Tactical. I have to say they were nothing but pleasant - great experience.

The guy that filled out the paper work was all business, but I spoke to a couple of different people about a couple of different things, and they were very attentive. I even had a pretty good conversation with one of the guys about AFG vs. VFG for my AR.

Their a bit pricey, sure... but I'm not going to complain about a few dollars here and there when I can walk to their shop from my home. It beats the hell out of driving 30+ minutes (one way) with what gas is priced now a days.

I'll let you know how the transfer plays out once it arrives.

motox79

May 24, 2010
    damascus
    i'll throw in one more:thumbsup: guys tossed me an ar barrelnut so i could play with a project i have. They coulda sold it to me, or made me buy a handguard with a nut (since i was looking at yhm's anyway). But no.....one of the guys tossed me a stocker....even after i offered to spot him some cash, and just said "come back and see me when you decide what direction you are going with for your handguard" They aren't the cheapest, but they aren't the most expenisve either.... I like em...plus they are right up the road from where i work in rockville.....makes it easy to hit up on my lunch break.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I was disapointed in Atlantic guns once and it was when I was asking for ammo for bear self defence. the first guy recommended something terrible, and I found this out once I went home and did the research. It was a lite bullet with a slow burning powder which would have been a reasonable suggestion if I had a rifle and not a 4" revolver. The 2nd guy I dealt with was recommending a fast burning powder with a hallow point bullet. Between dealing with the first guy and the 2nd guy I had done a lot of research and I was trying to tell them that what I really needed was a heavy hard cast bullet for maximum penetration on a bear. I just wasnt too happy with them recommending something that they weren't completely sure on when someone's life depended on it. I certainly don't recommend people on what drugs to take unless I'm certain it's going to be safe for them because their life could depend on it.

I guess that's about it really. Their prices are okay. Could be slightly better. It would be nice if they would negotiate a little sometimes. Seling something for 380 vs 400 is better than not making anything. But other than that they are cool people and they're pretty helpful.

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    I have been an intermittent customer of the Rockville location since the late 1970's. Had only one annoying experience; the rest have been fairly good. Their firearms prices are not the lowest you can find, but I have never paid MSRP. That might be the case if you were looking for a hot item in a seller's market, but generally not otherwise. Most of the staff know me and I have found them to be friendly and well-informed. I have used their gunsmithing services and have been very satisfied. I would prefer to buy at a locsl gunshop like Atlantic than to patronize a chain store that has little or no interest in supporting firearms ownership.

FlatTopFoley

Bears
    Sep 6, 2010
    Silver Spring
    Both Atlantic stores have been bad enough to me so I never want to buy a gun there. When I wanted to start a AR15, the SS store said it was stupid to build one from a stripped lower and that I should just buy the bushmaster they had on the rack for 1300. Went to the rockville store, who was a little more willing to work with me from a stripped lower. After buying the parts kit and stock from them (didn't know any better at the time) then offered to put it all together for me for a small price. Cool. When I got my AR (was a complete RRA build with a DPMS parts kit) I was thrilled. Got home and opened it up to clean it, get to learn the system. Pizza crumbs EVERYWHERE. Inside the trigger, all over the insides of the lower. The *@#! is this? Then I remember they had pizza delivered when I was there so I guess who ever put it together was eating over my lower while doing it.

Anyway, my brother took me to the range next day to try it out. The bolt would not hold open after the last round was fired. On every magazine we tried it didn't work. Took it back up to the rockville store, who took it in the back for 40 minutes. Came back and told me that someone installed a spring wrong and it should be fine. Also the guy at the counter saw a steel casing in my range bag and asked me if I had been firing that out of my AR, I said yes. I then proceeded to get chewed out for 5 minutes about how he will have to fix my rifle because steel cased ammo will destroy it.

I'll stick with Engagement and 2A for all my firearms needs. Hell, I rather drive up to Baltimore than go back to Atlantic.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Not every store/merchant is going to be good at everything. But pizza crumbs in a trigger assembly etc... now THAT seems over the top. WOW.

I should ask the owner about that the next time I'm at the store. That's something I'm sure he'd remember.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Both Atlantic stores have been bad enough to me so I never want to buy a gun there. When I wanted to start a AR15, the SS store said it was stupid to build one from a stripped lower and that I should just buy the bushmaster they had on the rack for 1300. Went to the rockville store, who was a little more willing to work with me from a stripped lower. After buying the parts kit and stock from them (didn't know any better at the time) then offered to put it all together for me for a small price. Cool. When I got my AR (was a complete RRA build with a DPMS parts kit) I was thrilled. Got home and opened it up to clean it, get to learn the system. Pizza crumbs EVERYWHERE. Inside the trigger, all over the insides of the lower. The *@#! is this? Then I remember they had pizza delivered when I was there so I guess who ever put it together was eating over my lower while doing it.

Anyway, my brother took me to the range next day to try it out. The bolt would not hold open after the last round was fired. On every magazine we tried it didn't work. Took it back up to the rockville store, who took it in the back for 40 minutes. Came back and told me that someone installed a spring wrong and it should be fine. Also the guy at the counter saw a steel casing in my range bag and asked me if I had been firing that out of my AR, I said yes. I then proceeded to get chewed out for 5 minutes about how he will have to fix my rifle because steel cased ammo will destroy it.

I'll stick with Engagement and 2A for all my firearms needs. Hell, I rather drive up to Baltimore than go back to Atlantic.

Damn - that's absolutely crazy. Thanks for sharing that.

FlatTopFoley

Bears
    Sep 6, 2010
    Silver Spring
    Not every store/merchant is going to be good at everything. But pizza crumbs in a trigger assembly etc... now THAT seems over the top. WOW.

I should ask the owner about that the next time I'm at the store. That's something I'm sure he'd remember.

Now, this is where I made a mistake. I never said a word about it to anyone at the store. At the time my rifle wasn't functioning correctly and I just wanted my AR to work like it should. I didn't want to get into a argument about crumbs with the guy at the counter. Just wanted my AR and to be done with the store.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Now, this is where I made a mistake. I never said a word about it to anyone at the store. At the time my rifle wasn't functioning correctly and I just wanted my AR to work like it should. I didn't want to get into a argument about crumbs with the guy at the counter. Just wanted my AR and to be done with the store.

I'm fairly friendly with the owner so I think I'll mention it to him anyway.
    Who knows, maybe he had a real asshat working for him and you weren't alone.

In any event, it sounds like the store was never given an opportunity to correct what sounds like an extremely eggregious error.

I have employees too so I know how it feels to have one of them mess up.

If I were the owner I would have refunded you your money, cleaned up and given you the AR build and then made some staff changes.

But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom