• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I am in the process of trying to purchase a new scope for a Savage 220f. I have selected the below options, based purely on specs. I am hoping to look through as many of these as possible over the next few weeks, but I wanted to get some feedback on them as I have no personal experience with any of these models.

As I said, this will go on a Savage 220 and shots will range from up close to out to 200 yards, potentially. Low light performance is important. I am not too concerned with a ballistic type reticle, but I am not opposed to one either.

I appreciate any thoughts you might have on these scope options. All are in the $280 - $300 range at SWFA (have not bothered to price shop yet). I am setting $300 as my upper limit.

• Bushnell Elite
    • Leupold Ultimate Slam
    • Nikon ProStaff 5
    • Vortex Viper

Thanks for your thoughts!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I am in the process of trying to purchase a new scope for a Savage 220f. I have selected the below options, based purely on specs. I am hoping to look through as many of these as possible over the next few weeks, but I wanted to get some feedback on them as I have no personal experience with any of these models.

As I said, this will go on a Savage 220 and shots will range from up close to out to 200 yards, potentially. Low light performance is important. I am not too concerned with a ballistic type reticle, but I am not opposed to one either.

I appreciate any thoughts you might have on these scope options. All are in the $280 - $300 range at SWFA (have not bothered to price shop yet). I am setting $300 as my upper limit.

• Bushnell Elite
    • Leupold Ultimate Slam
    • Nikon ProStaff 5
    • Vortex Viper

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have Nikons on the majority of the hunting long guns I own and love them.

Personally, I like the plain duplex reticle. I'm not a big fan of the circle around the crosshair stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I have used a savage 220 for three seasons now. It has a Nikon SlugHunter 3-9x40 BDC 200 on it. Love it and its does everything I need it to do. I shoot nothing but Remington Accutip 2 3/4" slugs through it. Was out yesterday just brushing up and first three rounds were a 1 3/4" group at 100 yards.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I have looked at the Nikon SlugHunter, but am turned off a bit by the BDC. The idea of aiming through open circles does not sound too appealing to me. I have not, however, used one in person so I could be wrong.

In terms of the ballistic reticles of the scopes I listed, the Vortex Deadhold seems to be the most versatile as it is based on M.O.A. rather than a supposed distance. Granted, I could probably figure out the M.O.A. for other ballistic reticles if I had them and wanted to. The deadhold reticle also does not seem like it would clutter up the image like some others. On paper, its reticle seems to have finer aiming points than the Ultimate Slam. With the Nikon ProStaff 5 and Bushnell Elite, I would probably go with the standard duplex reticle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom