• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YFallston

Aug 24, 2013
    Hazard County
    Your driving home after a normal day at work, radios on and your wondering what's for dinner. As your to your exit on the interstate your car suddenly dies completely and you begin to curse at yourself for not changing the problematic battery in your car. You pop your hood and get out to take a look and you immediately notice all the cars in sight are stopped as well.

You begin to wonder what the problem could be. You reach into your pocket for your cell phone see that its dead as well? After playing under the hood for a few minutes you decide to walk the last two miles home.

On your trip you see that none of the traffic lights are working, lights are out in buildings all around you, and every car you see is stopped dead.

As you home starts gets into your sites your connecting the dots, some sort of EMP event has occurred. You know you have a few weeks worth of food and water in your home and a decent cache of firearms and ammo. As you get to your driveway you see your neighbor loading up his old school Bronco that is running and yelling to his wife and kids to get the rest of their stuff and they wouldn't be seeing home for a while.

As you walk in the door your wife rush's to you and franticly asks" What are we going to do"?

Now the fun begins, I've set the scenario.I'd like to hear what your plan would be in a situation like this. I know we all at one point or another ask ourselves what we would do in an instance like this. Would you stay home and "bug in", or would you get out of town to predetermined "bug out spot" ( if so how would you get there). When the food runs out and people are breaking into one another's homes looking for something to eat how would you respond?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Unless you or a family member owns the predetermined bug out spot, stay home and fight it out.

Everyone else will be defending theirs, as well.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Based on the first sentence, I was just gonna just gonna say, drop by Pep-Boys?

When the food runs out, I'd abandon my house and set out for somewhere far less populated with moochers.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How can I bug out if my car won't run?
    I'm staying home. The guy next door with the bronco just left town, there's no way he took all his food with him so now I already have a secondary food source.

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    The lady and me are going to pedal bike all the supplies we can to my parents. It's only about 5miles for me and 7miles for my brother. It's a better location for fighting, growing food and being out of the way of most of the travel. They live amongst 7 other houses back in the woods. Their road is gravel and looks like a driveway not a road. I think we could get on the same page very fast and work together as a small community.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    My sailboat is in walking distance of my house. My "bug out" spot is heading to sea and getting way from issues on land in the wake of a large scale collapse. Much harder to approach a boat than hold a position in the community.

My boat is large enough to allow me to sail anywhere in the world. And self-sufficient in terms of power generation and with enough amenities to make it somewhat survivable in cramped conditions.

Matt

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    My sailboat is in walking distance of my house. My "bug out" spot is heading to sea and getting way from issues on land in the wake of a large scale collapse. Much harder to approach a boat than hold a position in the community.

My boat is large enough to allow me to sail anywhere in the world. And self-sufficient in terms of power generation and with enough amenities to make it somewhat survivable in cramped conditions.

Matt

Would this survive the EMP?

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I would arm the wifey then immediately head to the local grocery store with a backpack and a duffle bag for ice, canned and dry foodstuff with pistol under jacket in case my money was no longer "good". I have bicycles, if necessary, as Lord knows what I'd have to replace to get our modern vehicles running again. I'd then stay put and set about improving home security.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Probably try and get my ass to the store and round up as much food as I can. Once I get home, I am going to have a huge BBQ because all that food my my chest freezer ain't going to preserve itself.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Not sure where to confirm this. Looks like the car might run even if the computer was shot.

Most cars have a "cripple mode", meaning that they will still run even if the computer gets fried, although they may not get anywhere near optimal performance. I had an old Buick that blew its computer. The gas mileage dropped to about 12 mpg and it sputtered a bit when sitting at a stop light, but it still ran. The "War of the worlds" scenario where all of the cars just died isn't realistic.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I'm staying or sheltering in place. Then I have tactical mountain bikes to use for short distances.

Bicycles beat rucking, no doubt!

I'm getting a kick out of this thread being in a "Recreational Shooting" thread, btw. Guess we all know what the OP plans to do. ;)

OP, priority one would be to get my family home safe. Keep two bicycles in my office at work and GHBs in my truck with shielded electronics for comms, wx, rad detection, etc. On the way home, definitely would hit an ice-cream shop before it all melts - that sh!t's gold!

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Get home ASAP, shelter in place, enough digestive provisions to last at least six months (not counting the "live" provisions on foot, hoof, wing, etc), and a few neighbors that are already on board with this too. Firearms, ammo, and protection of aforesaid is a given with me and my few neighbors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom