• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Out of town until 9/28, but given the reprieve, and two extra days (i.e. 9/29 and 9/30), I am looking for a compact 1911 in .45 suitable for future carry. Not interested in full size, or any poly strikers, got those covered, must be true 1911. I know its not likely, but can't hurt to ask if any IP's have something in stock? Thanks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Beating Chad to the punch : *True 1911* = 5in steel frame.

A *True Commander* , which equals a 4.25in bbl ( NOT 4.0) is reasonably close , and gets honerable mention.

But no , I don't offhand know where to find a *somthing else that resembles a 1911 * in a sub 4 inch size. All I've seen recently in stock were full size.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Remington R1 Carry Commander would be my choice. It's very nice for the money if you don't mind a longer, skeletonized trigger.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Thanks guys, am replacing a full size Kimber SS Target II that was a great shooter but just not suitable for carry. And yes, I know a true 1911 has a 5" barrel, and yes I know purists might argue a Series 80 isn't a "true 1911," but all that was beside the point as I was referring to primary functionality. I am going with the Remington, and yes Duffy's gave me a good price. I was familiar with the R1, but frankly didn't know it was available in a Commander size package, and even though its only a 3/4" shorter, that along with the dehorning and the smooth Novak style sights (tritium front) give me what I am looking for.

Oh, and perhaps "compact" was the wrong word choice. I have other 1911 style compacts and .45 subcompacts, and I was really looking for a more traditional 1911 that was better suited to carry. Looks like I found it :)

Last edited:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    small size 1911's are extremely sensitive to spring wear, both the recoil/hammer spring combo and magazine springs. If the balance gets off, you will have issues.

You need to pay close attention to both round count and time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom