• ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Range report: Shot it at 50yds today with 3 types of ammo:
    - American Eagle / Federal .357 Magnum flat-nosed JSP, flat nose
    - Remington .357 Magnum flat-nosed JSP, flat nose
    - Winchester .38 Special +P JHP

I was particulary interested in how the rounds would feed. It had some trouble cycling the Federal rounds, (no issue once they were in the chamber) and after I inspected them I think it's because those bullets have a conical taper that starts about 1/8" past the edge of the casing, whereas the Remingtons had a curved taper right out of the casing. It seems the latter made for a smoother feed as the round is fed into the chamber at an angle. Both shot fine, but about 6-7" to the right. I drifted the rear sight once I got home so I'll have to fine-tune the windage once I get out again.

I was particulary happy to find that the rifle fed the .38 Specials without a hitch and man, what a difference! While the magnum rounds gave considerable recoil (comparable to the AK we shot right afterwards), the .38 Specials were incredibly light and comfortable to shoot. My 10 year old son shot both rounds and had a big smile on his face after shooting the .38 specials. I'm looking forward to shooting more of those rounds on the next outing.

Anyway, with the right rounds action was crisp and smooth, and the buckhorn sights made target acquisition simple. It was also very easy to clean, with little residue left in the action when I brought it back. I can't wait to take it out again. :party29:

Warning to Mark and 2A Sales: petar, who went out at shot it too, is now in the hunt for a similar gun. He may not willingly agree to leave your shop on Monday without one :)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for the update. Glad you guys made it out on a nice day. In regard to your comments about recoil, I found 357 loadings to have less recoil in my (Miroku) 1892 carbine and Ruger 77/357 bolt action than 223/5.56 from my AR-15 or Mini-14. I've run a bunch of 357 through both rifles including Underwood and Buffalo Bore loadings. I do agree that 38 Specials shoot softer, and at 50 yards, for some loadings, were truer to point of aim based on the factory sights. I've tried 38 Specials less extensively (mostly was testing how well they would chamber in the rifles), but the recoil seemed very comparable to 22LR from other rifle platforms (including the Browning BL-22). But back to the main point, the 1892 is an afternoon of fun. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom