• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    Looking for some info. I recently purchased a Remington 700 in .308. Never owned a bolt action rifle or a .308. I really don't like the stock. Are other stocks that are labeled as 308 Remington just drop in? Any other parts recommended to upgrade? Any info much appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    There are a bunch of stock options available for the 700. I just got one a few months ago and am waiting on magpul to release the hunter 700 stock. I replaced the trigger with a timney and couldn't be happier. Stock trigger just sucked.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Remington 700s have a lot of after market support. Depends on what you want to do with it? But, yes and for the most part, you can get after market stocks that you'll be able to drop your action into.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    You have a Rem 700 ADL .308 short action.

This is the gun: http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/smu/centerfire/dsg/model%20700%20adl%20varmint%20scope%20combo%20in%20mossy%20oak%20brush%20camo.aspx

and here: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/joe-grine/gun-review-remington-700-adl-varmint/

The extra stock you have is a Choate Tactical, here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2171415683/choate-tactical-rifle-stock-remington-700-adl-composite-black

Need more upgrades? Def get a different scope and upgrade the trigger. If you want box style mags then you'll need a stock such as the AICS, Mcree, or the new Magpul. Not sure anyone has really tested the Magpul though.

Boar13A

Nov 19, 2014
    So that is the guy that bought that 700 in the classifieds! haha! It was a great deal. Just wish I could of got it

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I like my HS Precision stock which gets a lot of bad reviews for having the front sling stud pulling out with bipod use. I use a real rest or sandbags and took off the stud. McMillan and Manners get good press but very $$$. I would avoid a thumbhole stock. It looks cool but gets in the way of follow up shots.

Glass bedding improves things, even with an aluminum beading block.

A Jewel trigger is the bees knees.

Other stocks can be found at https://www.stockysstocks.com/

Some people swap out the bold knob. It looks tacticool, but it doesn't really do anything.

Aside from a trigger job or new trigger, decent glass is your best investment.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I swapped mine out of the HS Precision (from the factory on PS-1) to a Manners T-4A.

The HS has a VERY large palm swell that I did not like.

One thing to watch is the barrel channel. You can use any of them on a slender barrel profile, but there will be a big gap with some. If you had a bull or varmint or tactical barrle, you need a barrel channel large enough to fit the barrel.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    So that is the guy that bought that 700 in the classifieds! �� haha! It was a great deal. Just wish I could of got it

I tried like hell to communicate with that seller to make sure it was really the price that it was. It sold right after I sent the message. Wish I could have gotten that one. Great buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom