• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Greeting!

This thread is dedicated to discuss the possibility of obtaining the ammo casings currently held by the MDSP into Liberty bells.

Several questions come to my mind, let's hear yours:

- how much brass does the MDSP hold?
    - where is it?
    - do they currently have a plan to dispose of it?
    - what legal or policy red tape to do this (any)?

- where can we have it melted?
    - where can we obtain a metal mold of the Liberty bell?
    - is there a company that does this sort of thing?
    - transportation issues?
    - costs
    - what size bells would you like?
    - any special encryption or details?

Also appreciate any volunteers or leads to get some of these things done.

This may not be possible, but would like us to discuss and consider the merits as well.

:thumbsup:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Greeting!

This thread is dedicated to discuss the possibility of obtaining the ammo casings currently held by the MDSP into Liberty bells.

Several questions come to my mind, let's hear yours:

- how much brass does the MDSP hold?
    - where is it?
    - do they currently have a plan to dispose of it?
    - what legal or policy red tape to do this (any)?

- where can we have it melted?
    - where can we obtain a metal mold of the Liberty bell?
    - is there a company that does this sort of thing?
    - transportation issues?
    - costs
    - what size bells would you like?
    - any special encryption or details?

Also appreciate any volunteers or leads to get some of these things done.

This may not be possible, but would like us to discuss and consider the merits as well.

:thumbsup:

According to the fiscal policy brief for SB736, the MSP has around 330k304,548 through FY2014 casings. IANAL but I would think one would have to go through the procurement process if you want to procure the spent brass for this purpose. The MSP would have to submit a proposal, there would have to be bids. One issue is whether MSP already has a contract to dispose of spent shells (e.g. for routine training/practice), and whether that company gets first dibs.

The brass itself is probably worth $3-5,000* for recycling(about $1-1.30/lb depending on condition, 100 cases per lb for 9mm, although I bet there are a lot of .22LR in there). Plus transport, etc. The key question is what to do about all those yellow envelopes. Are they still in the envelopes (I am sort of assuming that they are)? Will they just burn off for melting? Or do they need to be removed first?

Let's assume for a minute we can get the brass. If people donate their time and materials to this, I would suggest auctioning the result off and putting the money to HQL lawsuit or something.

* If half the brass is 22LR and half 9mm, that's about 1 ton of brass.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    My guess is that a "recycler" or even a "reloader" won't be interested if they are still in the envelopes. Too much in labor to get them out. Even if MSP is obligated to issue an RFB's or otherwise auction them as "surplus", the cost of transportation and handling (unpacking) before they could be reloaded or ground, melted and recast may be prohibitive. The residue would likely not be problem, it should come out with flux added during the melting, but I am almost certain the paper has to come off first.

Are you talking lots of little bells, or commissioning one big ass bell? The former might be sold as collectibles to raise cash for whatever, the latter would require donations, and then where does the bell go? Just kicking your idea around.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Not without leaving an excessive amount of contaminants relative to the weight of each case. We would have to have a party to remove the packaging, and frankly I am not sure that doesn't present privacy issues depending on how they are labeled by MSP? For privacy purposes, it might be more economical just to "incinerate" the packing off the casings, but I don't think that's an option during the smelting operation.

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Believe one of the few bell manufacturers in the country is located in Glen Burnie, somewhere in the Ordnance Road area. They are able to cast and finish bells weighing tons. How about casting a big one and donating to Ft McHenry as the "Maryland Liberty Bell"????

Mr H

Banana'd
    Since we're kicking it around as an exercise...

Should be enough brass to make, say 281 bells, each serialized, and with something about repealing Unconstitutional laws, or Liberty Tree, or something...

Sold for $50 or even $100 over cost, that would make a nice little war chest.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    They need to eat the expense of sorting andmailing all that brass to the owners of the firearms they came from.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    If this works like any other government contract, the government will pay a company to remove scrap, very rarely does scrap value get passed back to the .gov

someone with a company that can haul heavy stuff needs to bid on the removal for the cheapest price to win the bid.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    If this works like any other government contract, the government will pay a company to remove scrap, very rarely does scrap value get passed back to the .gov

someone with a company that can haul heavy stuff needs to bid on the removal for the cheapest price to win the bid.

We paid for the crappy implementation and now we'll pay to have it undone. How typical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom