• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Since they are a LOT of .45 caliber 1911 pistols out there, i am curious about someth8ng...
    Are most, if not all, 1911 .45 acp magazines interchangeable with one another? Or are they like any other gun that accept just "their" mags?

Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo
    There are 1911's that like some mags better than others.

I've got a Sig 1911 and have used the factory mags (Mec Gar), Kimber, Wilson and Chip McCormick. All have functioned just fine.

Others with more experience can weigh in - I don't know if a mag for a commander or carry lengths will work in a standard 5" Government model and vice versa.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have a Colt 1911 with four mags. One Colt, One Colt Shooting Star, One ProMag, and One Taurus.

Yeah, one lone Taurus that came with the pistol when I got it. All mags work fine.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    All the single stack (nonstaggered) 1911 mags are interchangeable in the same grip frame length. Some may prove more reliable than others in certain pistols. Some ammunition (some real stubby short rounds) can cause issues without specific 'timed release' mags).

Acquiring from known reputable mag makers (there are several good makers out there) will save one headaches. My suggestion is getting mags which are known to use strong springs or get extra power springs when mag related malfunctions begin to occur.

Commandr and standard Gov't frames use the same length mags. Officer's sized grip frames use a shorter mag.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So...I finally got my first 1911, a Ruger SR1911 Government 5" barrel. It came with one 7 round flush mag, and one 8 round slightly extended mag.
    I think I am going to order a few stainless 8 round Mec-Gar mags for extras. Cabela's has them and Chip McCormacks for less than $20 a piece right now

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So...I finally got my first 1911, a Ruger SR1911 Government 5" barrel. It came with one 7 round flush mag, and one 8 round slightly extended mag.
    I think I am going to order a few stainless 8 round Mec-Gar mags for extras. Cabela's has them and Chip McCormacks for less than $20 a piece right now

I can't speak on the Mec Gar ones but the McCormicks run great in all my 1911's.

I had terrible experiences with Night Hawk Customs mags in the 1911's I built with all, wait for it, Night Hawk Custom components!!!!! :lol2:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    1911's will take any single stack mag, a full size needs 8 rds or greater. Commander 7 rds or greater, officer 6 or greater basically you can put a 10 rd mag into an officer model it will extend out the bottom, but you can't put a commander 7 rd or officers 6 rd into a full size as the mag would be too short.

That was probably way too windy of an answer :)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Send a PM to member "hdatontodo" ... I believe he may have several 1911 mags available.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    1911's will take any single stack mag, a full size needs 8 rds or greater. Commander 7 rds or greater, officer 6 or greater basically you can put a 10 rd mag into an officer model it will extend out the bottom, but you can't put a commander 7 rd or officers 6 rd into a full size as the mag would be too short.

That was probably way too windy of an answer

The standard 1911 mag was 7 rounds, but 8 rd mags were developed for them, although most, with the exception of the new Wilson ETM, are difficult to insert when the slide is in battery. It can be done, but sometimes it doesn't work well.

Commanders and the Gov't Model 1911's have the same grip frame, so they use the same magazines.

Different types of ammo will sometimes feed better with different follower profiles, so you might want to try a few kinds if you have problems. I use a lot of SWC and find that the grooved synthetic followers in Wilson mags feed them well.

Here is an article with pics of different followers. I've used Checkmate, Tripp, and Colt mags successfully. I was not pleased with Brownells or the cheap generic gun show mags. I like Wilson the best.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

That was probably way too windy of an answer :)

Hmm, so GI 7 round magazines won't work in a full sized government model?????

:)

Basic Full size frame takes 7 round or longer mags. Commander has the same grip and mag requirements as full sized.

8 round mags are actually fairly recent.

Shorter grip pistols may use the longer mags, plus the proper shorter mag for the pistol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Basically all 1911 mags will work in all 1911 pistols, as long as the mag is the proper length to actually fit and latch into the grip (Officer's Model mags will not work in a full sized). Longer mag in shorter grip is fine.

Of course, crappy mags are crappy mags. :)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "...(Officer's Model mags will not work in a full sized). Longer mag in shorter grip is fine."

Be aware - over inserting a Gov't length mag in an Officer sized pistol can beat snot out of, loosen and break extended ejectors as well as compromise the left/total rear of the magazine feedlips, dependent in whether the slide is open or closed. Get the proper length mags to avoid these issues in short frame 1911's.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Well the Chip McCormack 8 rounders I ordered specifically say for "Government" model, so along with the 2 that came with the gun, I have 4 so far. I don't get why one factory one has 7 and one 8, but as soon as I get the spares and verify they feed well, I'll probably get a few more. ;)

I do know one thing...I am sorry I didn't get this 1911 sooner. Today at the Dottrio event was only my 2nd time shooting it, and I am as accurate with it, as I am with my 5" barreled XD-9 after shooting 1500 or so rounds through that one. Very pleased with it already. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom