• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "...I don't get why one factory one has 7 and one 8..."

For shooter preference. Original 8 round 1911 mags (and still many offered 8 rounders) were/are 7 round mags with essentially a shortened follower and spring with less coils. Those mods were required to get tge extra round in the msg.

You'll eventually notice the 8 round mag springs will fatigue fairly quick and the top round nose dives when chambering the first round. Last round inertial feed will also show up play as well. New higher force springs typically fix that as long as the feedlips are in good condition. I typically load this type of mag down one or use 7 round followers and springs.

New generation 8 round 1911 mags utilize a slightly longer mag body to house a more stable foller and extra coil on the mag spring.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    The only ones that I have issues running in my Sig - the Sig mags that came with the Sig .22lr conversion kit; one sticks in the magwell and can only be pushed out (finger down the ejection port).

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    "...I don't get why one factory one has 7 and one 8..."

For shooter preference. Original 8 round 1911 mags (and still many offered 8 rounders) were/are 7 round mags with essentially a shortened follower and spring with less coils. Those mods were required to get tge extra round in the msg.

You'll eventually notice the 8 round mag springs will fatigue fairly quick and the top round nose dives when chambering the first round. Last round inertial feed will also show up play as well. New higher force springs typically fix that as long as the feedlips are in good condition. I typically load this type of mag down one or use 7 round followers and springs.

New generation 8 round 1911 mags utilize a slightly longer mag body to house a more stable foller and extra coil on the mag spring.

My SR1911 came from the factory with one 8 and one 7 round magazine. As for the reason they did that? I am not sure. However, when CCW... I carry with the 7 in the well and the 8 in the pocket. In doing so, I have 7 + 1 in the pistol and another 8 in the spare mag for a total of 16. If that is why they did what they did :shrug: I'm good with it. But, in reality... who knows?

As to the size of the mags... the steel body of the 8 round mag is about .45" longer than the 7 round mag and the spring does not seem to have any issues what so ever.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Thanks guys. I received 2 CMC 8 rounders today that I will test out tomorrow or Friday, in my SR1911. I also have 3 Ruger 8 rounders and 2 CMC 10 rounders coming.

Plus the included 7 and 8 rounders at the FFL with the pistol.

Last edited:

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    My new Colt customized by John Carduner will function fine with all of the 7 and 8 round mags that I have. The Wilsons supplied by John feel the best when I load them but they all function fine. The pistol functions quite well with 200gr Speer LSWCs.
    I have trouble with the mag release sticking with the CMC 10 rounders but I think that this can be fixed by shaving off some of the front part of the plastic/rubber bumper.
    DocAitch

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most, if not all, of the reliable 8 round mags, are SLIGHTLY longer. So stick out of the grip a bit. But many people put base pads on magazines to make sure they seat fully when in insert them, so the 8 rounders are like a 7 rounder with base pad.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Fired max capacity out of all the above magazines, no problems whatsoever. They all worked and fit great. No slop. The 10 rounders obviously stick out a little more than the RUGER 8 rounder's, but the dark colored CMC mags on the left (in the pic above) fit flush, and are 8 round mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom