• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Looking at a G17. I see a lot of drop-in mods that supposedly are easy to install. True? (Considering trigger, slide release, and mag release upgrades at first.)

Last edited:

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    It's that easy. All of those mods took me about an hour the first time I did it. That includes reading the instructions and watching YouTube vids. Tools? Basic punch set.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Yes. The only "tricky" part is remembering the order some parts need to be installed. With the extended slide stop lever, it needs to be installed after the locking block pin:

4029d1363921848-glock-17-gen-4-extended-slide-lock-lever-slide-stop-lever-position.jpg

The Glock OEM extended magazine release is easy to install. But it is a bit too long, and depending on the holster may cause the magazine to release. It is also kind of sharp on the edges, and can cut in to your hands. Using a file you can round off the corners/edges, as well as drop the height a bit.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you have a youtube video to guide you, I think anyone can do many of the mods for a Glock.

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    I'm a Glock-certified armorer until June this year. I took Glock's course to become "certified" but--I had already learned everything they taught in the course from PTOOMA's Glock manual.

Yes, it is easy. And, if you experience trouble, there are plenty of folks willing to help.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Have never attempted any mods on my Glock, but I find that by watching YouTube vids on how to do aything is better than staying at a Holiday Inn Express. I have done some mechanical work on my vehicles that I never thought I was capable of, but the YouTube instructioanl vids on anything and everything are great,.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It is easy to work on Glocks. Just be careful what mods you do and test them out afterwards. From my experience, as reliable as stock Glocks are they tend to be more sensitive than most to malfunctioning when modified. Especially with some of the aftermarket mag extensions.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Looking at a G17. I see a lot of drop-in mods that suppossibly are easy to install. True? (Considering trigger, slide release, and mag release upgrades at first.)
    Easy yes. Necessary no. They are ultra reliable, durable, and accurate guns right out of the box.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Yes, and no. They are modular, so parts are easy to swap, but you need to be knowledgeable of the platform to make sure the parts work as desired, or can be fitted to do so. In many cases a part can be modified to work better, in many cases the "free" factory part, knowing where to file or polish can get you HUGE improvements for little or no cost. Something as simple as a connector takes as little as a minute or two to swap, but lots of aftermarket connectors need to be "tuned" by bending to have correct tension for proper reset and function. Many are thicker and stiffer than stock, change pull travel and length of the stages, and even a stock connector can be stoned and polished to improve the pull.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The Glock pistol is basically the AR of the pistol world. Yes ... You can watch a YouTube and see DYI tips. And generally you should be able to do the install on your own. However, just like the AR ... these alterations may need fine tuning to realize improved function.

Proceed with all caution and don't F up... If you do... Please don't blame Glock. :rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or for the really simplest :

Stock trigger shoots adaquately and is 100% reliable . Shoot it a lot to smooth it.

Stock sights are adaquately visable , albeit plastic. They will noticabley wear after 10K plus presentations from the holster. Start out with what came on the gun , change when wear becomes noticable.

Many , if not majority at present train to use slingshot as prefered method. I default to using slide stop, and standard slide stop on Glock works for me. But if you want to the current factory "extended" isn't big enough to cause problems , and generally can't hurt. For my final Glock purchased in mid '13 my guy routinely puts the extended slide stop on everything unless the customer asks him not to ( complemtary for both part and installation.) Took him about a minute while I watched.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    The only part on my G17 that is factory is the slide and the frame, and even those were modified. Pretty simple to work on, the only thing I didn't do myself was lower the ejection port, and cerakote it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom