• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    My dad has the timney for his 700 and it is a very nice trigger. But i was on a rifle team with triggers down in the 3 oz range and just got used to that and i really like that weight. Also between the 2 triggers the jewel is a million times more crisp. Just my opinion though

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Why did you go with the Jewel over the Timney?

I think I am going to get the Bighorn Action and have it threaded for Savage pre-fit barrels. Probably going to get a Manners stock w/ the mini-chasisis. Although, the XLR Carbon has been good to me... Decisions, decisions.

While that sounds cool and all, these options certainly go beyonder "somewhat budget".....at least for me.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Have you considered the Rem 700 R5 Milspec?

Right around a grand for the gun. Swap out the trigger and add a base, rings, glass, and bipod.

I have never heard a bad thing about them.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Sorry, I was pertaining to a build I am thinking about doing. I still stand behind the FN-option for you since you won't consider a Savage.

Lol...no prob. It's fun to dream too

dghboy315

Dave Luu
    Mar 5, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    I'm in a similar boat as the author of this thread. I'm looking to get into precision rifle competitions like PRS on a budget.

Guys over on snipershide rave about the Tikka T3. In all my research, it's suppose to be the best bang for your buck it terms of the quality of the action, barrel and trigger. It's suppose to be very accurate with a smooth action. I think investing in the heart of the rifle that does not need additional work is the way to go. The cons are that in the inexpensive Tikka models the stock and the aluminum lug are subpar. Also aftermarket parts are not as abundant but TikkaPerformance.com seems to have everything I need.

http://tikkaperformance.com/

To cut down on a lump cost, my plan is to buy the rig in steps. First is to buy the least expensive rifle Tikka makes that has the basic parts I need, the T3 lite stainless in 308. The blued model is $100 less but I believe a stainless receiver will mate better with aftermarket stainless barrels. Then I will purchase the scope mount and rings. I already have a Vortex PST 4-16. That will get me shooting. Next phase will be purchasing an XLR Element chassis ($600) to deal with the stock and lug issue. This stock also accepts aisc magazines which will be very necessary for competitions. Finally after the barrel is worn out, I will rebarrel in 6.5 creedmoor. I will also eventually upgrade to a better scope.

I tried to find a used Tikka but they rarely come up in the after market and definitely not with the specs I want. I've just ordered the Tikka T3 lite stainless 308 from United Gun Shop in Rockville, MD, for $698. That was the lowest price I could find locally or on the internet. They said will it should arrive in 3 days.

http://store.unitedgunshop.com/prod...inless-bolt-308-winchester-2243-31-syn-stk-ss

Overall it is a little less expensive than a used Rem 700 action that is trued up and in a good stock/chassis, usu over $1600.

Hope this helps.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    From what I understand the Timney is more tolerant of dirt and grit than the Jewel.

And I do not want THAT light of a trigger on a tactical firearm. My Timney is at about 2 - 2.5 pounds (I forget which) and it is almost too light at times.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    I do not hwve any issues with the trigger and dirt and grime. And as far as the purlose for the trigger its not meant for tactical shooting by any means. Its soul purpose is for precision shooting and thats that
    From what I understand the Timney is more tolerant of dirt and grit than the Jewel.

And I do not want THAT light of a trigger on a tactical firearm. My Timney is at about 2 - 2.5 pounds (I forget which) and it is almost too light at times.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Well,
    I've been crunching some numbers this evening...

A Rem action from Bud's for $350
    Rock 5R barrel for $275

then using Longrifles SH "package"
    Tier 1 for $125
    1. Resurface Receiver Ring square to bore centerline
    2. Helically bore ID of receiver ring bore parallel/concentric to bore centerline
    3. Resurface Lug abutments square to bore centerline
    4. Qualify lug abutment/receiver ring height to 1.1350”
    5. Interpolate/Thread Mill receiver ring to a thread pitch of 1.085-16tpi
    6. Qualify Threads with custom built gauging- (we are the first shop to do this)
    7. Truncate lead thread of receiver ring to mitigate galling during final assembly
    8. Chamfer ID bore/receiver ring
    9. Chamfer/relieve bottom of front scope base screw hole/receiver thread intersection.

Barrel fit for $200
    Cerakote (optional of course....but looks cool) for $125
    Rework of factory Rem lug $34.99
    Bolt handle knob purchase and fit $75

So right there I"m at $1209 and that's without bottom metal, trigger, or a stock.

Now, from what I've been reading the Longrifles deal is pretty damn hard to beat. If I'm incorrect on that please let me know.

Another option is the Remington 700 action package from PTG which includes a Xmark pro trigger. Their price for action/trigger is $458. I thought I read somewhere on SH that the actions they sell are trued, but I may be wrong.

Suddenly, the FN is looking like a deal.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yep. You think I'd be giving anything up accuracy wise by going with the FN barrel over a Rock/Bartlein/whatever custom?

I've only shot two FN's, (SPR's, IIRC) both in .308 - and at 100 yards they could quite literally put shots right on top of each other.

So I don't think you'd be giving up much by starting out with their barrel.

ETA: A SPR A5M would be a very nice starting point, but I don't know what they sticker for.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I'm in a similar boat as the author of this thread. I'm looking to get into precision rifle competitions like PRS on a budget.

Guys over on snipershide rave about the Tikka T3. In all my research, it's suppose to be the best bang for your buck it terms of the quality of the action, barrel and trigger. It's suppose to be very accurate with a smooth action. I think investing in the heart of the rifle that does not need additional work is the way to go. The cons are that in the inexpensive Tikka models the stock and the aluminum lug are subpar. Also aftermarket parts are not as abundant but TikkaPerformance.com seems to have everything I need.

http://tikkaperformance.com/

To cut down on a lump cost, my plan is to buy the rig in steps. First is to buy the least expensive rifle Tikka makes that has the basic parts I need, the T3 lite stainless in 308. The blued model is $100 less but I believe a stainless receiver will mate better with aftermarket stainless barrels. Then I will purchase the scope mount and rings. I already have a Vortex PST 4-16. That will get me shooting. Next phase will be purchasing an XLR Element chassis ($600) to deal with the stock and lug issue. This stock also accepts aisc magazines which will be very necessary for competitions. Finally after the barrel is worn out, I will rebarrel in 6.5 creedmoor. I will also eventually upgrade to a better scope.

I tried to find a used Tikka but they rarely come up in the after market and definitely not with the specs I want. I've just ordered the Tikka T3 lite stainless 308 from United Gun Shop in Rockville, MD, for $698. That was the lowest price I could find locally or on the internet. They said will it should arrive in 3 days.

http://store.unitedgunshop.com/prod...inless-bolt-308-winchester-2243-31-syn-stk-ss

Overall it is a little less expensive than a used Rem 700 action that is trued up and in a good stock/chassis, usu over $1600.

Hope this helps.

Tikka is a solid choice. I looked at them too, but there aren't many smiths that'll work on them.

The SH boys may rave about them, but there are no actions being used on the PRS. There are a few FNs though. I wouldn't use that as an indicator though. Plenty of Tikkas out there.

dghboy315

Dave Luu
    Mar 5, 2012
    Rockville, MD
    Tikka is a solid choice. I looked at them too, but there aren't many smiths that'll work on them.

The SH boys may rave about them, but there are no actions being used on the PRS. There are a few FNs though. I wouldn't use that as an indicator though. Plenty of Tikkas out there.

I've been told Mac Tilton of MT Guns is the one to go to for Tikka work. http://www.mtguns.com/

As for PRS matches, I'm pretty sure I've seen a Tikka being used, just maybe not by the published top shooters. Actually you don't see a lot of major European brands such as Sako, Blaser, Steyr, CZ and Parker Hale. And I just saw a video on Rangemaster Precision Arms which is suppose to be an excellent European outfit. But usually I try to buy American too. Sorry, this is totally off topic.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I've been told Mac Tilton of MT Guns is the one to go to for Tikka work. http://www.mtguns.com/

As for PRS matches, I'm pretty sure I've seen a Tikka being used, just maybe not by the published top shooters. Actually you don't see a lot of major European brands such as Sako, Blaser, Steyr, CZ and Parker Hale. And I just saw a video on Rangemaster Precision Arms which is suppose to be an excellent European outfit. But usually I try to buy American too. Sorry, this is totally off topic.

True. The data I review is based on the top shooters.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Anyone with experience on the Tikka actions themselves? Any deficiencies? Do they (generally) need to be trued like a Rem?

Also with the 700 5R; I had overlooked those. At least I can deal with the stock (unlike the flimsy Hogue), but is the 5R barrel of a higher quality than the standard (AAC-SD)?

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    These have been on my NTBL...
    Sig SSG3000 ($1400),
    Mossberg MVP LC Light Chassis 27775, 27777, ($1200),
    Mossberg MVP LR 27697 ($800)
    Tikka JRTM113 T3 Tactical Bolt 308($1300) ( SAKO, Beretta),
    Savage 11 Scout, 10 FCP-SR ($900),
    Howa HWK97121 Axiom Varminter Bolt 308 Win 20" HB Adj Knoxx w/Pistol Grip ($800),

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom